• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Grindhouse: Project Terror

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is it about? This True Fanedit takes a different look at the 2 Grindhouse features by Quentin Tarantino (Death Proof) & Robert Rodriguez (Planet Terror) by combining them into a single movie. (Just for poops & giggles.)
original film name: Grindhouse (Death Proof/Planet Terror)
new film name : Grindhouse: Project Terror
film studio name : Dimension Films/Troublemaker Studio
edit crew name : (No crew, just me) stomachworm
Date Original Film Was Released : April 7, 2007
Date Edit Was Released : May 14, 2008
Original Runtime : Grindhouse 310 m/ Death Proof 114 m / Planet Terror 105 m
New Runtime : 113.5 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : 107 min.
Cuts removed/added/extended :
Death Proof = DP
Planet Terror = PT
* Cut all fake trailers
* DP cut opening credits
* DP cut talk about boys in the car (Now they only talk & argue about pot)
* Added Project Terror title
* DP cut talk about Jungle Julia's big ass at Guero's
* PT Cut opening credits (Cherry's go-go dance)
* DP cut Jungle Julia texting
* PT cut (Female) Dr. Block's lover at JT's
* DP cut most of Eli Roth & guys at chili parlor
* DP trimmed stuntman Mike running down his resume
* PT cut Dr. fat guy showing diseases from Iraq
* DP no lapdance
* PT cut sheriff talking to El Ray
* DP Trimmed sheriff's callous attitude at the end
* PT cut the non-nekkid sex scene
* PT cut all of Quentin's scenes without his gas mask on
* Used credit sequence from Grindhouse DVD #5 of Japanese Set
Replaced credit music with 3 other songs from Grindhouse OSTs
--1. Pino diNaggio - Sally and Jack (PT)
--2. Nouvell Vague - Too Drunk To Fuck (DP)
--3. Rose McGowen - Two Against The World (PT)
Many other trims and tweaks.

Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit):
HP m8300f system:
-AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processer 6000+
-3 gigs RAM
-Vista 32 bit
-DVDFab Platinum
-Cyberlink Power Director
-(tried Sony DVD Architect but I was too stupid for it and it was not intuitive enough for me so I lost patience with it. Eventually I'll figure it out.)
Additional Comment: This took alot longer to do than I expected. It was only supposed to be about 2 days.
Time needed for the edition: About 3 weeks.
persons involved: stomachworm

Maybe downloadable from info

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grindhouse: Project Terror by Stomachworm
(this review refers to the DVD version)

The one thing I have noticed about Grindhouse (the film, not the new term dedicated for the so called genre) is either you liked it or hated it. The most common answer being:

"I liked Planet Terror but I hated Death Proof".

If the latter was your answer for this Tarantino/Rodriguez production, I have some good news for you: Deathproof is severely edited down and it makes it very tolerable for those that hated that feature.

Even if you are not a fan of the film, you still might be able to at least appreciate the style in which the film was presented: very schlock and lots of it. Cheap film from the 70's mixed well with the style and campiness of the early 80's. I am not going to give a history on grindhouse cinema or what it means. I am sure you can find more than enough info about the subject on wikipedia or google

I was a little iffy when I first read of the edits description, and that was to combine both films into one. I did not see how this was going to work without it being two different films blatantly put together and still being able to flow. I was nervous about that as I was watching this. I kept saying to myself at some point we have to have a tie in somewhere. I just finished watching this edit and my pessimism has faded. Stomachworm was able to pull this off without it being that obvious and we have one scene where it neatly, though quickly ties the two films together before ending one and just carrying on with the other.

We do run into some minor tech issues which I will mention now. First is that sometimes during slight motion scenes the picture gets blurred (like a stutter effect though not as extreme). I know that effect can occur from encoding to certain formats first or with motion search (off record and not saying it was used but the tmpg encoder has an option to fix this problem). Either way it does occur though minor, but enough for one to notice it. Then again with the type of picture this is supposed to represent it might actually end up working for it in the long run.
The second tech issue I noticed was during the editing/combing of scenes. Though the editing itself was done very well, at times when a new scene is introduced the picture will repeat the opening frame for a micro of a second. This was not an effect from the film itself but rather from joining clips. As previously mentioned it is minor.
The last tech issue deals with the sources used for the edit. The theatrical edition actually uses the films true ratio of 2:35:1. The unrated dvds were slightly zoomed in and are made as 1:85:1. During the times when footage from these 1:85 editions are being used you can see that the picture is slightly squashed to fit in a 2:35:1 ratio

Overall I enjoyed this edit and I try to pretend that I have never seen this before and in that respect see if it still makes sense and works. This does and it delivers, get it now! Another fun and entertaining edit best watched with a group of friends

PS: I made a single layer edition because the DL disc uses LPCM sound. By making it an ac3 instead it literally almost makes the dvd a single layer disc (very minimal shrinking was done. Dvdshrink had it at 95% which is virtually nothing). With Stomachworms permission I might up this edition as well

4 out of 5 stars

stomachworm

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the rewiew tranzor, I will be able to sleep easier now with a 4 star review. :) It's such a horrible feeling waiting and wondering what other people will think of your own ideas of what's a good editing decision. There's always that sickly feeling of "oh man, am I gonna be lynched for this?" and I was a little hesitant to read the review for this. Fortunately you seemed to enjoy it arriving at the same conclusion I did which is that there's that one scene that (although brief) ties the whole thing together nicely. Which was the scene that sparked the whole project when I watched the two films back to back one evening.

If you want to up a SL version, that is fine by me. If anyone ever wants to switch any of my projects into other formats it's always cool with me.

I spent 2 hours or more the other night cutting a proper trailer for this and got reallly pissed when the program crashed and I lost the whole thing. I considered doing an extended cut of this edit which would have seen Cherry grab the rope and go into the sky and then slap on part 2 of Death Proof and then finish with the very end of Planet Terror but I decided against it. That would have felt too forced I think. (Also I could never have brought this project in at under a 2 hour running time.)

Top Bottom