• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Google Photos, more than just a photo hoster

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I was uploading some photos to my personal google drive account and was looking at the unlimited storage features for supported formats. A wide variety of video formats are included in this feature. These include .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, and .mkv files. It also says "Google Photos gives users free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080p resolution."

I stopped using google drive because of the 15gb cap, but this looks like it can be used with unlimited storage. Has anyone used google photos to upload their edits? I uploaded an episode of my 007 series edit and it's currently in my photos. It's still processing so it's only in 360p, but if it's similar to what drive does, it should have a processed 1080p video in a short amount of time. With the unlimited feature, this could be a game changer for edit storage.

DigModiFicaTion said:
So I was uploading some photos to my personal google drive account and was looking at the unlimited storage features for supported formats. A wide variety of video formats are included in this feature. These include .mpg, .mod, .mmv, .tod, .wmv, .asf, .avi, .divx, .mov, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .m2t, .m2ts, .mts, and .mkv files. It also says "Google Photos gives users free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080p resolution."

I stopped using google drive because of the 15gb cap, but this looks like it can be used with unlimited storage. Has anyone used google photos to upload their edits? I uploaded an episode of my 007 series edit and it's currently in my photos. It's still processing so it's only in 360p, but if it's similar to what drive does, it should have a processed 1080p video in a short amount of time. With the unlimited feature, this could be a game changer for edit storage.

This is interesting. I took a look and it says:

Back up unlimited photos (up to 16 MP each) and videos (at 1080p HD). Your free 15 GB of storage is only used when you save photos in original quality. 

Not sure what it means by original quality. I'm uploading my 5gb Thor edit to see what happens.

After the upload finished I downloaded the file to check it. The original file was 5gb but the file I downloaded from photos was only 711mb
Here you can compare the image quality of the two files. The first is from Google Photos and the second is from Google drive:
x7oBuwQ.png
zRinXzl.png

Same here. My episodes are around 1.5-2gb in size and they seem to have been compressed pretty significantly, even more so than google drive. What is interesting is that when the file was processing, it still displayed the original file size in the info. Now that the processing is over it shows the new file size. Too bad. Looks like being cheap ends up with cheap results ;)

Back
Top Bottom