• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Google Drive could soon start locking your files

Dawnrazor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with @Gieferg
The movies are not ours in the first place.
If you want to keep the Edit to be yours then don’t share it to anyone.
But as soon as you’re sending out links you Will lose the control over it and It Will have it’s own life.
I don’t think there’s anything you/we can do about it.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the only thing that you can do is exactly what the rules instruct us to do. Make sure you have an HD/bluray/DVD copy depending on the resolution of your edit and make sure that you do due diligence to make sure that anyone that YOU send a link to has the same. After that, it's out of your hands. Most of the editors that I have approved, keep track of who THEY send links to in order to protect themselves. I know a couple of editors who watermark their edits so that they know who is responsible for this type of behavior but that's a lot of extra work. That can defeat the original purpose of creating the fanedit to begin with. This is your art. Aren't you proud to share it?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My only concern is drawing the attention of the copyright holders as @That One Guy explains in his post that I quoted.

EDIT: Although I do forget @Heavisyde is a mod there too so maybe I just got a little paranoid lmao

Last edited:

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My only concern is drawing the attention of the copyright holders as @That One Guy explains in his post that I quoted.

EDIT: Although I do forget @Heavisyde is a mod there too so maybe I just got a little paranoid lmao
if it's being shared publicly against your will i will take it down, just send me a message. can't do much if it's private.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if it's being shared publicly against your will i will take it down, just send me a message. can't do much if it's private.
It’s alright, it’s not that easy to find. Can’t speak for other editors but I’m ok with it currently

zodaex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fortunately I've got backups of everything on my Gdrive, so this new development shouldn't affect me.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too insist on many edits “no onward sharing..” and I always ask about “own the source”… but I think the persons posting them beyond this community are in effect “publishing “ the edit… that in my eyes is their risk!

Whereas in here , it’s more like sharing a music mix you made of a track that all your viewers already own…publishing is not the same…

Am I deluded?

CAL0901

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too insist on many edits “no onward sharing..” and I always ask about “own the source”… but I think the persons posting them beyond this community are in effect “publishing “ the edit… that in my eyes is their risk!

Whereas in here , it’s more like sharing a music mix you made of a track that all your viewers already own…publishing is not the same…

Am I deluded?
I completely agree. In high school I, along with many of my school mates, was a dj. I made mix tapes primarily for myself. I shared a tape with a couple of friends. A few school mates found out, requested tapes, so I gave them to them. I never "advertised" my mixes. The tapes were free for the asking. And, much like in this forum, others were free to use any mixes I came up with for their own. Others enjoying my works was truly thanks enough.

Dantango

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zippyshare is blocked from use in the UK and I can't access it without a VPN, which I'm hesitant about paying for.
If you have Firefox CyberGhost is a free VPN addon, there is a very small selection of servers (4) but at least 2 (US and Romaina) let you connect to zippyshare.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i recommended Terabox! 1TB free.
The free version limits your file size to only 4GB. Although if you are paying for larger storage on Google Drive, the price here is pretty cheap for the amount of storage. If I loose my Google Drive, I might consider this.

tmihai20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is the first time I am hearing of Terabox and it does not seem to come from a company backed by non-friendly countries. Sounds nice and the first real good alternative to GDrive.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For anyone who's interested in hosting options, here is a thread with some options.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Google Drive sucks my toe. What a waste of bandwidth.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
great... i may be switching to mega
keep in mind this article is almost a year old & the title is clickbait, google's announcement was saying the new policy is that they email you if your content is taken down from a report. Haven't had any issues w google drive and started hosting there in 2019. You should be fine 👍

abigor_

Reaction score
Trophy Points
keep in mind this article is almost a year old & the title is clickbait, google's [was saying the new policy is that they email you if your content is taken down from a report. Haven't had any issues w google drive and started hosting there in 2019. You should be fine 👍
oh! lol good to know... i was reading up and browsing the forum sub section. ty for the correction

Top Bottom