• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Google Drive could soon start locking your files

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The maximum filesize for a single file is 500 MB :(
Use 7-zip or similar archive creating tool. Set it to split the archive and you can specify what the size should be. This helps you not look like you're just uploading a movie to a file sharing site as far as your ISP may be concerned, but also helps with people who have unstable connections or low dl bandwidth, they can securely get each piece instead of risking one big download corrupting or exceeding quota.
And in this case, it helps you lower your individual file size for sharing limits like this.

Last edited:

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Use 7-zip or similar archive creating tool. Set it to split the archive and you can specify what the size should be. This helps you not look like you're just uploading a movie to a file sharing site as far as your ISP may be concerned, but also helps with people who have unstable connections or low dl bandwidth, they can securely get each piece instead of risking one big download corrupting or exceeding quota.
And in this case, it helps you lower your individual file size for sharing limits like this.

Good point, I'll try that.

Daxtreme

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The problem with IceDrive is the 10 GB limit for free accounts.

Anyone tested the paid version?

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The problem with IceDrive is the 10 GB limit for free accounts.

Anyone tested the paid version?
Purchased 1 month of it, been messing around. Seems cool, I've been using Mediafire lately though because I like being able to see how many times each file has been downloaded. Anyone have an opinions one way or other about it?

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a caveman. Why does everyone not simply share their fan edits with a google drive? Couldn't we all just email each other and send everything through a google drive link? It seems so easy to just make an email account specifically for fan edits then send the edits to whoever wants it. Takes a few minutes to download and the sender can always just delete the film out of their google drive so what's the problem?

I don't know, I've been on the site all day reading and trying to learn stuff so I'm just curious.

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a caveman. Why does everyone not simply share their fan edits with a google drive? Couldn't we all just email each other and send everything through a google drive link? It seems so easy to just make an email account specifically for fan edits then send the edits to whoever wants it. Takes a few minutes to download and the sender can always just delete the film out of their google drive so what's the problem?

I don't know, I've been on the site all day reading and trying to learn stuff so I'm just curious.
A lot of people use and like Google Drive, and in theory, yes we could all do that. But this thread is about a problem that faneditors are now experiencing with Google Drive. Filesharing websites are just like any other "product" in that there are lots of them, some do certain things better (speeds, security, etc.) Given the new problem with Drive, people in this thread have been discussing some of those other options, and/or if there's a way to circumvent Drive's issue.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Not everyone has the bandwidth, time or desire to constantly upload a fanedit then delete it, especially if the edit is more than 10gb in size. Having a place that you can house an edit and share without it going down is a more viable option.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always had issues with Google drive. I regularly get errors when downloading. I think it also blocks people downloading when a file gets accessed to much, which is a problem for popular edits.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have specifically noticed that a lot of other places where people talk about fanedits seem to focus on ease-of-access as the primary concern, with Google Drive a frequent choice of platform. Which, sure, is nice - until it draws attention from companies who understandably don't see much different between an easily-available stream of a fanedit and any other easily-available unauthorised stream of their intellectual property.

The price we pay for being able to share the work of our hobby at all, is for it to have a fairly low but non-zero barrier of entry for downloads, etc. We already spend a bunch of time wrestling various types of software into submission to create the edits - I'm not really concerned about catering to possible viewers who are unwilling to spend a few minutes reading up on how to download an edit, or why they aren't often available to stream.

This is a creative hobby for me, and it makes very little difference to me if RandomJoeBlow42069 thinks I'm "making it too hard for people to watch my edit". I see it as more important to ensure the community can continue to exist, and if that means additional steps for downloading edits then I'm fine with it.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
why did MediaFire become less popular compared to Drive, MEGA? I know it doesn't have streaming, but is there any other reason? I searched online and it doesn't seem to have the 5GB cap that MEGA has.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does media fire still exist?? I was under the impression it went down. Unless I'm thinking of something else.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mediafire's free option has a lower gb quantity I believe.

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mediafire has been working nicely for me, but....
I know it doesn't have streaming
I hadn't realized people really used this, but I just had a few people ask if this was an option, so I'll probably do a migration of all my stuff over to Icedrive because it has a nice implementation of this!

CAL0901

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always had issues with Google drive. I regularly get errors when downloading. I think it also blocks people downloading when a file gets accessed to much, which is a problem for popular edits.
If a person has a Google Drive account, that usually helps avoid the "download quota exceeded" error. Likewise, if there is an option to download a folder, rather than just a file, and if you opt for Drive to zip it before downloading, that works as well. The zip option takes a bit longer, depending on one's download rate, if a VPN is in use, if others are trying to access it at the same time, etc.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That article seems like fear mongering, Google has always monitored for violations and taken things down, but if you read the actual blog post by Google it says the new feature is that if you are in violation, you will be notified with an email and the ability to appeal. ("Now, the owner of the item in Google Drive will receive an email notifying them of the action taken"). I don't see any change in policy, so it's actually a good thing to be honest, that way if something gets removed the host will know about it quicker and can fix it.

I tried to find their policy for copyright on Google Drive and this is all it says "It is our policy to respond to clear notices of alleged copyright infringement. Repeated infringement of intellectual property rights, including copyright, will result in account termination. If you see a violation of Google's copyright policies, report copyright infringement" which makes me believe (as it has been) that they really just take stuff down when it has been reported to them, and whatever automated system they have isn't as rampant as Content ID on YT which will strike you down in just a few seconds.

But with regards to the discussion of file sharing platforms, I just say it's more of a pick your poison situation:
MegaNZ: Has a quota so you need to download a program or VPN to bypass it so you can download big files without paying
Google Drive: Has a quota if there is too much traffic, but there are a few tricks to bypass this, otherwise you just have to wait
Mediafire: Speeds are slower than above services, and from what I've experienced and read they are more actively targeted with takedown requests
Less popular sites: Haven't proved the test of time so who knows if in a year or so they will just shut down, whereas services like Google/Mega will likely exist for a longer time to come.

tmihai20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not a faneditor, but I have worked with Mega and GDrive for sharing large files (usually personal videos it works well). For Mega you don't even need a VPN, you can use Megabasterd. It just needs a list of proxies and it is done. Anything connected to Google is at some point prone to being regulated by them. I was about to suggest you use the 1 TB mail.ru offer, but I just logged into my mail.ru account (after not using it for about 4 years) and the 1 TB went away. I have only 8 GB usable now.

Why not use Resilio (aka Sync)? It is based on P2P and it is a lot easier to control. The people at thestarwarstrilogy.com use it and this is how I was able to get extremely large Star Wars original edits. Resilio keys are not to be shared outside of the community and once people get the fanedits they can seed them. I set up Resilio on a Linux machine for sharing, MAC and Windows versions do exist.

1. Go to the Resilio website, download the Free software for home use, and install it.
2. Click on the big Plus sign and in the drop down menu select ‘Enter a key or link’
3. Paste in the key, which is just a long string of numbers and letters. (Make sure there are no spaces at the beginning or end!)
4. Select a folder to download the file to (this needs to be on a drive with at enough space for the file you want to download).
5. Please seed for as long as you can after the download completes.

I apologize if I am bothering here, but I had a hard time getting some fanedits and I think Resilio is a better way.

Last edited:

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have specifically noticed that a lot of other places where people talk about fanedits seem to focus on ease-of-access as the primary concern, with Google Drive a frequent choice of platform. Which, sure, is nice - until it draws attention from companies who understandably don't see much different between an easily-available stream of a fanedit and any other easily-available unauthorised stream of their intellectual property.

The price we pay for being able to share the work of our hobby at all, is for it to have a fairly low but non-zero barrier of entry for downloads, etc. We already spend a bunch of time wrestling various types of software into submission to create the edits - I'm not really concerned about catering to possible viewers who are unwilling to spend a few minutes reading up on how to download an edit, or why they aren't often available to stream.

This is a creative hobby for me, and it makes very little difference to me if RandomJoeBlow42069 thinks I'm "making it too hard for people to watch my edit". I see it as more important to ensure the community can continue to exist, and if that means additional steps for downloading edits then I'm fine with it.
On this note… I just got an email reply from someone I sent my fanedit links to, saying he already found them in a Google Drive folder—an entire folder full of shortcuts to countless fanedits on and off the IFDB… I hadn’t given consent to anyone to add my edits to anything like this, although it isn’t the first time people posted or used my edits without my permission.

I know there’s info but the downloads there require some effort and sweat to acquire. This is just a bunch of movies available free to stream. I had made it clear earlier on r/fanedits that besides info I don’t want my fanedits out in the public available to download and will only share it privately, but ofc people don’t care.

I hate to gatekeep but for the sake of keeping our little hobby I think r/fanedits might become more of a problem for us.

I replied to the email saying if he could lead me to whoever created that folder saying I’d like a word with him, and I also wanted y’all to know. How should I continue handling this? Should I, or someone else representing our community, post something there as a request/warning? Or we could have our own subreddit? Idk what to do.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hadn’t given consent to anyone to add my edits to anything like this

Well, just as the creators of the movie didn't give you consent to do what you do with their movies, right?
Isn't it a bit hypocritical to be a faneditor and have a problem with what people do with fanedits "without consent"? Just wondering...

Last edited:
Top Bottom