• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Google Drive could soon start locking your files

KVG198X

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having worked on a mod project before, I've always found Dropbox to be pretty reliable. Although recently, I've been using Mega for uploads.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mega has always been reliable for me. I've had an account there for many years.
Same here. Been using Mega ever since Rapidshare went down - and yes, that seems like another age completely!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Icedrive looks like a good reliable alternative too

CAL0901

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll be looking into Mega as an alternative.
My pleasure. Mega has worked for me for a few years. I pay 4.99 euros for 400gb storage, 1TB traffic per month. There are a few other good suggestions in this thread.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have been having fantastic results using MediaFire! Fast download, no limits on file sizes (paid version) and links auto generate as soon as the file is loaded without expiring unless you set up a temp link.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bumping this because this article reminded me of the conversation.
Basically Microsoft's online storage now scans files for malware, including inside password-protected zip files. This is nominally good in terms of malware - but as the article points out it makes it difficult for malware analysts working in infosec to share samples of malware.

It's not difficult to see the same underpinning technology being turned towards media, and since it's impossible to easily distinguish regular copyright infringement from a fanedit being shared, it's likely to cause headaches.

I will continue to advocate for sharing fanedits as spanned 7z files created with AES256 encryption. This latest development suggests that edit-specific passwords would be a good idea...

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will continue to advocate for sharing fanedits as spanned 7z files created with AES256 encryption. This latest development suggests that edit-specific passwords would be a good idea...

Could you expand on this? At first it sounded like you were saying that it won't make a difference if it's password-protected or not.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could you expand on this? At first it sounded like you were saying that it won't make a difference if it's password-protected or not.
Sure 🙂

The default method of password protection used in Windows uses a system called ZipCrypto. This method will stop you from extracting the contents of a zip file unless you have a password, but you can still inspect details of the contents including the file names.
So if you have e.g. a Pirates of the Caribbean edit called "Pirates Of The Caribbean - More Booty Edition.mkv" in a zip file protected with ZipCrypto password protection, anyone who downloads the file knows what the filename is - whether or not they have the password.

If you use the .7z format instead of .zip format in software like 7-zip, you can use AES256 encryption as part of password protecting the file - this is a much more robust form of encryption and does not disclose any details of the file contents until the correct decryption password is entered.

Spanned files are just my preference in terms of it being easier to resume upload/download of a file split into 250MB or 500MB chunks than it is an entire file in one go.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is re: password reuse. The article I linked casually mentions that the new scanning system Microsoft has deployed will scan messages with zip attachments for possible passwords to use, and if those do not work it will fall back to using a list of known passwords. This means that having/using a default password as has historically been the case would make it easier for the password protection to be rendered ineffective, since once the password gets on the list all future edits would likely be checked with it.

Last edited:

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ thanks. That's helpful. I already use 7zip. I've never used passwords for my edits though and I've never had any trouble. I like to keep things accessible, but I'll give this further consideration. Presumably though, if you included a readme with the password for users, that would make the password protection redundant? I expect that, for it to provide an extra layer of protection, one would need to only give out the password via PM when providing the link?

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I suspect a readme file would be likely to be identified as a source for possible passwords, but I could be wrong.

Having said that, simple obfuscation like sharing a base64 encoded version of the password would likely be enough in terms of evading automatic scanning.

Top Bottom