• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Good software for figuring out audio delay?

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I have an edit of a friend's wedding in Premiere. I exported the video using Adobe's Media Encoder, exported the audio separately and encoded it to AC3 using ffmpeggui. There should be no sync issues, but after authoring in DVD-lab Pro, it's out of sync.

Rather than exporting the edit as a larger video file and then encoding the whole thing in separate software together, like TMPGEnc (which I could do, I'd just rather not), I'd like to just find out by how much time the audio is off, and then adjust for that in DVD-lab. Can anyone recommend any software, maybe with a slider bar, that allows me to slide the audio sync so I can figure out by how much it is off? MPC is being buggy when I try to do something similar, and I don't think VLC is doing it right at all.

could be as simple as a video framerate issue.
unfortunately I dont have a software suggestion and when I had this issue before I just manually moved the offending areas until they were in sync by my eye.

I figured it out eventually, I think the issue was that I was exporting the video as "Work Bar Only" and audio as "Entire Sequence". So this particular issue has been resolved, but I'd still like to know if there's software like what I described. It'd be a handy thing!

the old dvd decrypter if you had it go by the ifo mode and demux, it would give a log file and tell you if any delay was present

or if you already have the disc ripped

use pgcdemux

open up whatever ifo file and then on the bottom right click "check a/v delay" this would list any delay in the audio stream

lastly the tool ac3delay should give you a stat on the ac3 imported with a running time and this would let you see if any delay was present or not

Thanks for that info. I already knew some of it, but it's still not really addressing my question or the issue I had.

that is because I misread your question

essentally you could just use something like womble's dvd author (mpeg video wizard dvd) since it shows both audio and video on separate timelines and since it lets you easily move the audio around, you can then find where the two would have synced up correctly and then right click the audio and select "location and duration" This would then show you where (time wise) on the timeline you have the audio starting so you would then know how off it was

I did not know the DVD authoring component of Womble had that function! That's great to know, basically exactly what I was looking for. Thanks tons!

you're welcome

pretty much it is more of an advanced version of womble's older mpeg2vcr, the dvd authoring part really is not needed since it is still fu*ked up.

I use it for editing purposes only and it works fine.

that time line can do frame by frame if you zoom in all the way and it works great if you have a separate audio (or part) that you need to start at a precise frame in the film

also as a tip, if you put the video on the timeline and your clip has both sound/video muxed already, once on the timeline right click it, copy and it will then allow you to paste it on the audio timeline. Now go back to the video timeline, right click, select audio and chose mute. Now you have video and audio on separate timelines and it will use the audio timeline for sound

IF you export the clip after finding the time difference, your final clip will add in the audio delay (silence) of where you have it on the time line. This way it saves you some time in having to add delay afterwards

tranzor said:
also as a tip, if you put the video on the timeline and your clip has both sound/video muxed already, once on the timeline right click it, copy and it will then allow you to paste it on the audio timeline. Now go back to the video timeline, right click, select audio and chose mute. Now you have video and audio on separate timelines and it will use the audio timeline for sound

IF you export the clip after finding the time difference, your final clip will add in the audio delay (silence) of where you have it

thats an excellent tip which will come in very handy! thanks dude.

Back
Top Bottom