• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Good place to get sound effects

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there any? Sound effects like glass shattering, things being knocked over, that kind of stuff.
I know you can find some of that stuff on Youtube, just asking for some alternatives, if there are any.
Sorry if this has been posted before, I could've sworn I saw a thread about this here some time ago, but I just can't find it.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This site is decent, it's hit or miss https://freesound.org/ but sometimes it's had really obscure sounds I couldn't find anywhere else
Otherwise, the one linked above is good, and I also like to record my own! If you can't find it, make it!
In my Hobbit edit I recorded sounds with one of my dinner plates to use in the footage I re-arranged for the Blunt the Knives sequence, Bilbo tapping his ink pen, and probably a few other times. Just make sure you have a good mic, and you can always touch it up in post.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
morrigan, M4. Thanks very much for sharing those. I've used zapsplat.com but it's best to combine multiple sites for good foley.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
morrigan, M4. Thanks very much for sharing those. I've used zapsplat.com but it's best to combine multiple sites for good foley.
I’ve actually used that site as well! I always search all the sites I can to find the best option.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are a lot of free to use ones on YouTube as well!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first two linked are my go to, specifically freesound.org

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found everything I needed for Split Unbreakable Glass in free sounds… from car alarms, ladies heels on tarmac and marble, clortges rustling, filing cabinet opening, rain, swoosh for visions, metro train arrival, low rumble, night cut ambience, A/C ducts, doors, sniffs, glasses , chair moving and on it goes!

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like everyone always mentions freesound (myself included). It is a great resource, but it is just one resource and it doesn't have everything. I'd like to see what else is out there... surely there must be other options? Most of the time when I've gone browsing around there've been too many hoops to jump through with other sites (or poor quality, hidden fees, watermarks), and I end up going back to freesound or making my own. I have on rare occasions pulled from youtube, but I always try to get my sounds in as high quality as possible.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like everyone always mentions freesound (myself included). It is a great resource, but it is just one resource and it doesn't have everything. I'd like to see what else is out there... surely there must be other options? Most of the time when I've gone browsing around there've been too many hoops to jump through with other sites (or poor quality, hidden fees, watermarks), and I end up going back to freesound or making my own. I have on rare occasions pulled from youtube, but I always try to get my sounds in as high quality as possible.
This is the sound side of Productioncrate, which I use but don't talk about much. As with all PC offerings, there's free mixed in with paid, and you can download five free elements per day with an account. Any element from any PC branch will count towards the five, so you don't get five free sound effects AND five free stock footage clips, AND five free pieces of music, for example. But you can go back every day and your limit resets so eventually you could have everything they freely offer if you visit enough.

Very high quality because they want you to want the paid stuff.

I suspect most viable free resources that are not free sound will be somewhat like this, by which I mean slightly complicated to recommend/ requiring explanation/ navigating around a commercial component.

Another area to explore is free VST sound packs and instrument packs intended for making music:
1. BBC and Spitfire Labs have a free full orchestra set including all those weird percussion instruments you might use during tense horror moments, and they're all sourced from real orchestra instruments. ( https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/ if you want this free, click the link that says "OR FREE" it's under the listed price. You tell them your email and they send you the download link later. You'll need a DAW program like Cakewalk, which I recommend because it is also free)

2. There's also a wicked free synth VST instrument called Vital that I recommend if you want to do literally anything with synth sounds.

Last edited:

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This thread has been very helpful. I've no doubt my next edits will use some of these site suggestions. The BBC site I wish I heard of before. Seems high quality. Can't wait to explore what they have to offer.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm thankful for these other resources to explore. I've been using https://pixabay.com/sound-effects/ for ambient sounds, boots on gravel etc., but I swear some of the longer sounds have watermarks(?). There's a chirping effect I can't seem to filter out...

Top Bottom