• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Good Fanedit of SW Prequels for 5-year-old?

spedinfargo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this the right forum to ask for advice on finding an appropriate fanedit of the Star Wars prequels?

My 4.9-year-old daughter loved episodes IV, V, and VI (yes, we watched those first). She loves Star Wars Rebels.

I'm not a huge "star wars guy" myself but it's been fun watching her just totally get into it.

It took us three tries to slog through Phantom Menace. We haven't even started to think about II or III yet.

I think the main problem is the ridiculous political tangents that just don't work for a kid that age. Is there a fanedit that would work pretty well for her for episodes I, II, and III? I don't think the silly slapstick of Jar Jar is a bad thing, she's definitely OK with the action and even the darker themes, etc. But man, the politics. Sheese.

Any ideas for me? Any better forums that I should post a question like this to?

Thanks

If I was 4.9 years old again, I'd thank my parents for never showing me the prequels and growing up blissfully ignorant of them :-D. However, if she wants to watch more Star Wars I'd go the shortest possible edits. You can find that by comparing fanedit-times on IFDB.

btw, I can wholeheartedly recommend the 1985 cartoon series 'Droids' if she wants more Star Wars content. I loved it at a similar age and it feels way more like proper-Star Wars fun than the Prequels. The DVD is on Amazon but some or all of the episodes are on YouTube (In rubbish quality)...

spedinfargo said:
Is this the right forum to ask for advice on finding an appropriate fanedit of the Star Wars prequels?

General FE Discussions wasn't a bad choice, but I think Fanedit Comparisons fits better so I've moved this there.

I'm tempted to recommend my own Ridiculous edit of TPM if you think something more silly might be enjoyable.

seciors ep 1 is what my kids enjoy - fast-paced and fun. The other two we have is from L8wrtr's trilogy.
However, I'd hold off letting her watch Ep3. It really is pretty gruesome, particularly Anakin burning in the lava. Yuck.

spedinfargo said:
I think the main problem is the ridiculous political tangents that just don't work for a kid that age.

The ridiculous boring pointless politics don't work for kids of any age. In the Star Wars universe there's heroes, villains and ordinary citizens. That's all you need to know. So which fanedits get rid of all that politics junk?

Is there like an All Jar-Jar cut? y'know only scenes with Jar Jar left in the film. That's the edit I want to see :)

Thanks for the great replies everyone! Definitely gives me some things to work on as far as the prequels go. Good food to think about on whether Ep 3 is appropriate or not. I'll definitely track down that Droids series as well.

I'm very pleased with Rebels right now - I read a great article talking about the good female leads in that show so I'm glad that's a bonus. It was hard explaining to her that the series doesn't resume until after Christmas...

And sheese, how did I miss this particular forum? Thanks for moving it into this one (obviously a better forum for this exact type of question). I guess it was late the other night...

Have you guys seen any of the three-in-one edits of the PT? I have Downfall of the Old Republic and Turn to the Dark Side but I haven't had time to watch either one yet.

Seciors' prequel trilogy should be good for youngsters. They're not finished yet but I believe he's editing them with his young children in mind. I think his Ep3 won't have most of the key dark moments (Grievous blood and fire fountain, children killing spree, immolation).

There's blood in with the fire? Honestly never noticed that.

No, I didn't mean there was literal blood. There might be, but it's still fire shooting out from his body.

I haven't seen them yet (I hope to soon), but Octoroxx's "Phantom Menace: Faster, More Intense" and "Attack of the Clones: Sanded Down" are two of the shortest edits and they're pretty highly acclaimed.

I could be wrong, but I think Octoroxx even said something about wanting edits more accessible for kids.

TomH1138 said:
I could be wrong, but I think Octoroxx even said something about wanting edits more accessible for kids.

I didn't, but I think my edits would probably be fine for kids. They are much faster and leaner than the original movies (especially the Phantom Menace), although I didn't consciously censor anything.

That said, I'm generally against introducing a fanedit as someone's first experience with a movie if they're too young to understand the context of what a "fanedit" is. Idk, I would just fear them growing up having seen a different version of the movie than everyone else.

What I would recommending is getting her through Episode II (The official version), and then moving on to the Clone Wars series, using the chronological viewing order or the abridged list by William R Aguilar. The Clone Wars is really great for young kids and should scratch the same itch as Rebels.

I think it would be kind of cool to grow up watching an obscure fanedit of a well-known movie. You would probably have a truly unique experience of the movie, and if you didn't like it you would always have the original to compare it to.

This sort of thing has probably been happening in a lesser form for decades anyway, since some people's first exposure to a movie is an edited version for TV.

Heavy Star Wars

spedinfargo said:

My 4.9-year-old daughter loved episodes IV, V, and VI (yes, we watched those first).  She loves Star Wars Rebels.

I'm not a huge "star wars guy" myself but it's been fun watching her just totally get into it.

It took us three tries to slog through Phantom Menace.    We haven't even started to think about II or III yet.

I think the main problem is the ridiculous political tangents that just don't work for a kid that age.  Is there a fanedit that would work pretty well for her for episodes I, II, and III?  I don't think the silly slapstick of Jar Jar is a bad thing, she's definitely OK with the action and even the darker themes, etc.  But man, the politics.  Sheese.

Any ideas for me?  Any better forums that I should post a question like this to?

Thanks

octoroxx said:
The Clone Wars is really great for young kids and should scratch the same itch as Rebels.

I've watched snippets of The Clone Wars (the one by that guy in the hat) and they may have started as a kid's show (8+) but they definitely passed into more mature content as the show progressed. Suicides, murder, executions, beheadings.....not really Thundercats material there....

DigModiFicaTion said:
octoroxx said:
The Clone Wars is really great for young kids and should scratch the same itch as Rebels.

I've watched snippets of The Clone Wars (the one by that guy in the hat) and they may have started as a kid's show (8+) but they definitely passed into more mature content as the show progressed. Suicides, murder, executions, beheadings.....not really Thundercats material there....

Yeah, that's true, but I've watched every episode and in context none of it felt like something a 12 year old couldn't handle. Maybe younger is pushing it for some of the later seasons but it starts out young, and if you take it slow, You could let the child age with the show.

Back
Top Bottom