• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Godzilla Vs The World - A Godzilla (2014)/KOTM (2019) Fanedit - Complete

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This project aims to give the viewer a single intense Godzilla experience.

Key features and cuts:
  • New, previously unseen introduction
  • Final act of Godzilla (2014) used as opening act
  • Cut Brody's family reunion
  • Removed flashback to 2014 from KOTM intro
  • Removed entire burn breakfast scene between Madison and Dr Russel
  • Reordered and slightly truncated Monach hearing and Terrorist attack
  • Truncated intro to Mark Russel (removing the wolves)
  • Removed one minute of arguing in Castle Bravo about opening the blast doors
  • Removed 6 minute long video call from Dr Russel
  • Removed unnecessary arguing between Mark and Dr Russel in car
  • Rescored Credits with Monster by the Automatic
Current runtime 2:21

Here's a sample of the new introduction:

Last edited:

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good luck with this one Malthus... I loved the 2014 Godzilla - more than most I think - and I enjoyed KOTM for being an entertaining monster fest, even if I didn't think Doughtery made the most of that particular aspect by using too much handheld style close up footage.  Anyway, hopefully you will divulge a bit more of your intention with the edit soon ;)

The opening is fine, although the music cuts out way too abruptly at around the 0.58 mark.  However, I assuming this opening is a work in progress?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Good luck with this one Malthus...

Thanks @"LastSurvivor". I, too, enjoy the original Godzilla (2014). Personally I think it improves with each viewing but I do still get frustrated by the serious lack of Godzilla. I rewatched KOTM's yesterday and liked it far more than I did in the cinema. I still feel Kong is the strongest entry in the monster-verse movies but I'm increasingly excited by the franchise.

Re: Intro: It is a work in progress but that is actually how the track ends. It's a special feature on the (2014) blu ray.

Re: Edit. At the moment I have a work print which has removed roughly 6 minutes of KOTM and included 20min of (2014) + 30 seconds for the intro. There is one deleted scene I might reinstate but first I want to go through a trim as much superfluous human drama as possible.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
LastSurvivor said:
Good luck with this one Malthus...

Thanks @"LastSurvivor". I, too, enjoy the original Godzilla (2014). Personally I think it improves with each viewing but I do still get frustrated by the serious lack of Godzilla. I rewatched KOTM's yesterday and liked it far more than I did in the cinema. I still feel Kong is the strongest entry in the monster-verse movies but I'm increasingly excited by the franchise.

Re: Intro: It is a work in progress but that is actually how the track ends. It's a special feature on the (2014) blu ray.

Re: Edit. At the moment I have a work print which has removed roughly 6 minutes of KOTM and included 20min of (2014) + 30 seconds for the intro. There is one deleted scene I might reinstate but first I want to go through a trim as much superfluous human drama as possible.

I need to rewatch KOTM again.  I have it on 4K UHD, but just haven't got around to watching it yet.  I agree about Kong Skull Island - I freaking love that movie, particularly in the way the monster/Kong scenes are directed and visualized, which easily outclasses KOTM for me.  I do fear I might be disappointed with Kong vs Godzilla, but hey I'll be there opening weekend ;)

Well, if the track ends like that, I apologise - not a lot you can do about that!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
I do fear I might be disappointed with Kong vs Godzilla, but hey I'll be there opening weekend ;)

Well, if the track ends like that, I apologise - not a lot you can do about that!

I'll be there too!

No worries, I don't particularly like the music to be honest but the audio does a good job of getting the audience up to speed. There are two other extras about Monarch that I was thinking of using but they lack the same impact and conciseness

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sample of bridging sequence between 2014 and KOTM
Apologies for the audio flare at the start of the video.

This scene features a truncated introduction to KOTM as well a reordered sequence of events so that the tribunal takes place before the terrorist attack. This saved 3+ minutes of runtime.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be encoding a 720p workprint of this tomorrow. If anyone is interested it watching it and giving feedback let me know.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks to @"Trez75" and @"orchidal" for volunteering to preview the workprint of this. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Thanks to @"Trez75" and @"orchidal" for volunteering to preview the workprint of this. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

My first impression of the edit is really fantastic. I really like the new intro. Very well placed there.

Fun fact... The intro narrative reminds me of the Pacific Rim trailer with Charlie Hunnam.

I think placing the closing act from the original 2014 Godzilla is very good. It gives this nice continuity to KOTM.

I watched KOTM a few times and i must say your edit has a better pacing. Taking away those unnecessary winy human interest scenes feels now like a spiritual successor to 2001 Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. One of my favorite Godzilla movie. 

Now from a technical standpoint i have 2 tiny remarks:
  • One is what @"LastSurvivor" already mentioned in the intro.  At mark 0.58 the music cuts out too abruptly. I guess you aren gonna fix this later on.
  • Then the 720p quality feels a bit low res. Really hard to distinguish details during night and underwater fights. But i think it is only a workprint version. Or i need to buy a new TV :p
Last but not least the change of the end credit song. I really don't like the original from Bear Mccreary. I like your choice way better, but I am honest, I wish you could use Pharoahe Monch - Simon Says (Instrumental) version. It uses a sample from the classic Japanese Godzilla theme.  But that is just my personal choice :p

Thx for giving me the chance to check the workprint. Awesome job and can't wait to see the final version with hopefully some deleted scenes addition.

Good luck for the finishing line.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trez75 said:
My first impression of the edit is really fantastic.

I'm really glad you enjoyed my vision. To address the points you made:
  1. Unfortunately that is just how that music ends in the clip. I love the voice over but I wish I could change the music but that's not really possible. There's not much I can do about the abrupt ending beyond adding in some ambient noise from the subsequent scene which I would need loop. 
  2. I can assure you that the final version will be encoded in 1080p. I only use 720p to save time and space when making drafts/workprints
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed my music choice for the credits. I will certainly take a listen to the track you recommended but I do have a soft spot for Monster
  4. Sadly the KOTM deleted scenes are both human interest scenes. One is an extended dream sequence for the dad the other is a longer arguement between the mother and the daughter. I like them but adding them in would defeat my originally stated goal of minimising the human interest stuff.
I'm pleased you feel my cuts and additions have provided a better paced film and an authentic Godzilla experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to watch it and provide me with feedback. You'll be featured in the thanks when I finish this.

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Trez75 said:
My first impression of the edit is really fantastic.

I'm really glad you enjoyed my vision. To address the points you made:
  1. Unfortunately that is just how that music ends in the clip. I love the voice over but I wish I could change the music but that's not really possible. There's not much I can do about the abrupt ending beyond adding in some ambient noise from the subsequent scene which I would need loop. 
  2. I can assure you that the final version will be encoded in 1080p. I only use 720p to save time and space when making drafts/workprints
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed my music choice for the credits. I will certainly take a listen to the track you recommended but I do have a soft spot for Monster
  4. Sadly the KOTM deleted scenes are both human interest scenes. One is an extended dream sequence for the dad the other is a longer arguement between the mother and the daughter. I like them but adding them in would defeat my originally stated goal of minimising the human interest stuff.
I'm pleased you feel my cuts and additions have provided a better paced film and an authentic Godzilla experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to watch it and provide me with feedback. You'll be featured in the thanks when I finish this.

The original editor did not make a job then :) No big deal. Honestly you need to pay attention to find it.

Cool about the end song but it is you vision. Glad you changed the original one.

Ok i did not know about the deleted scenes. Ok i guess they are not important and i would leave them out as well.

orchidal

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:

first off, this edit did not disappoint.
a very flush bridging of films which enhances the overall enjoyment.
Given the lengthier runntime, I did have some issues with certain melodramatic scenes that were kept in, however.
my input is strictly narrative/drama focused:

-I'd completely cut out the Brody family reunion (clocks in around 19:57), this will not only better transition the film to an onlooking Serizawa & Graham, but also rightfully phase out the importance/significance of Ford Brody as a heroic soldier. The way it is atm, he overstays his welcome too long for being only an intro character. I'd say transition to bystanders and Serizawa & Graham after Lt. Brody is hoisted up/saved (perhaps a fade to white? since there is bright white light already present and it also can be seen as symbolic).

-Cut Dr. Emma Russell's emergency call to Monarch team (around 1:04) due to it's exposition-heavy and heavy-handed nature. The production manages to keep this scene as visually engaging as possible for such a crammed scene of exposition but Charles Dance later says a digest version of this much better and with more implied consequence. 

-(around 1:24 and 1:26, respectively) cut all mother/daughter melodrama. The audience already "gets it" and it's better shown than said anyhow. And their complex conflict is effectively shown throughout the film. As is, these very short but emotionally overcooked scenes do drag the pace and runtime quite a bit.   

those are just my notes and personal preferences, but I'm confident that it would help your fanedit as an overall experience.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you @"orchidal" for taking the time to view it and give me the feedback. I've addressed each point below. I'll take a crack at making some alterations and I'll share some samples soon. You'll definitely be making the credits along with Trez75.
orchidal said:
-I'd completely cut out the Brody family reunion (clocks in around 19:57), this will not only better transition the film to an onlooking Serizawa & Graham, but also rightfully phase out the importance/significance of Ford Brody as a heroic soldier. The way it is atm, he overstays his welcome too long for being only an intro character. I'd say transition to bystanders and Serizawa & Graham after Lt. Brody is hoisted up/saved (perhaps a fade to white? since there is bright white light already present and it also can be seen as symbolic). This has been weighing on my mind too. It's mainly an issue with the music and working out when to cut, I'll certainly do some experiments. I want to find a way to include Serizawa's 'Let the fight' line. Hopefully I'll find a suitable solution.

-Cut Dr. Emma Russell's emergency call to Monarch team (around 1:04) due to it's exposition-heavy and heavy-handed nature. The production manages to keep this scene as visually engaging as possible for such a crammed scene of exposition but Charles Dance later says a digest version of this much better and with more implied consequence. You're right, I forgot about Charles Dances summary. I have already experimented with truncating this scene with varying degrees of success but I'd not considered cutting the whole thing. Interesting.

-(around 1:24 and 1:26, respectively) cut all mother/daughter melodrama. The audience already "gets it" and it's better shown than said anyhow. And their complex conflict is effectively shown throughout the film. As is, these very short but emotionally overcooked scenes do drag the pace and runtime quite a bit. Urgh you're right this film is melodramatic isn't it. I'll go take a look and see what I can do. I might be wrong but I think I only left these in because removing them felt choppy.

You Know I wanted to remove the whole 'jammed doors on the jet' sequence which is just filler in my opinion but it includes the return of Godzilla mid Rodan fight so removing it wasn't really an option.

Damn this film and it's obsession with human drama

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you @"orchidal" for the suggestion. Removing the video call and subsequent references to it removed a little over 6 minutes of exposition.
[align=center]

I tried to trim the family reunion at the start but couldn't find a suitable fix given how the film relies on news footage to reveal Godzilla awakening. Keeping it is better than having a disjointed opening in my opinion.

orchidal

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Thank you @"orchidal" for the suggestion. Removing the video call and subsequent references to it removed a little over 6 minutes of exposition.
[align=center]

I tried to trim the family reunion at the start but couldn't find a suitable fix given how the film relies on news footage to reveal Godzilla awakening. Keeping it is better than having a disjointed opening in my opinion.

Right on. And understand the necessity of the Brody reunion for the sake of smooth editing/viewing.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3DtmlZK.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit submitted, thread moved.

grimscribe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really enjoyed the edit. Choice of intro scene was great, just dive in. I agree it would be nice to minimize Brody family reunion (and just Brody overall) if at all possible, but I understand the constraints. I would be tempted to extract and edit the audio to make it work.

Thought transition to KOTM was really graceful and smooth. The things that were cut, I did not miss and you definitely minimized the things that were detractors to me. When and where those cuts were exactly, I wasn't quite sure--so well done! The pacing was much better and I really appreciated being at Mothra's awakening so quickly, and then on to Antarctica quickly on the tail of that.

With that increased pacing the one thing that stood out to me was the time between Rodan and venturing to revive Godzilla. It certainly seems originally intended as a breathing point in the film after some epic action sequences, but it kind of drags. What really called my attention to it though was there were still a few of the jokes that are real groaners, that kind of undermine all of the truly metal and awe-inspiring moments surrounding them. I would wish to see the joke exchange about gonorrhea and the Bradley Whitford comment about filming everything to be excised. I hated that character so much on the first viewing and I like Bradley Whitford lol. I would also personally be tempted to chop out even more throughout if at all possible to just make it insanely intense and unrelenting hahaha, but that's me.

I do truly appreciate the work you put into this and I'm so glad to be able to see an even more focused Legendary Godzilla fest. The credit song was unexpected, unfamiliar, but awesome and really fit well with the way the credits are edited. Also loved the FE Netflix bit at the start lol. Cheers!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you @"grimscribe" for taking the time to leave a review of my edit. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Your points about the humour are absolutely fair. In truth there are a lot of lines in the film which I find cheesy or less than ideal but removing all of them left scenes feeling choppy so I felt leaving them in was the lesser of two evils. At some point I plan on taking a crack at Kong: Skull Island so I look forward to your input on that project as it develops.

Here's the outro track in full for your enjoyment.
[align=center]

Top Bottom