• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Dramatic Cut

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

"Kaiju Sized Human Drama"

This edit began with a need to cut all the jokes that I felt ruined the tension of the action and pacing of the dialogue. The jokes and humor took me out of the film. I knew underneath all those bad jokes there was a strong intense film, and that is what I intended to capture with this edit.

New Runtime: 129 Minutes (with new Intro, re-insterted deleted scenes & credits)
Original Runtime: 132 Minutes (with credits)

New Credits begin at: 1:56:05
Post Credits Scene begins at: 2:06:00
Additional Fanedit Credits begin at: 2:07:05

full

This edit's four goals at its inception:
  • I: Cut the bad jokes. Why? They ruined the tension. This is called The Dramatic Cut for a reason.​
  • II: Cut certain shots and lines that help the audience sympathize with the character of Emma. Why? She is a bad person responsible for untold catastrophes around the world who should naturally be less likable. By cutting some of her content and adding in subtle music clips in some shots, a slightly altered version of Emma is presented by the end of this Fanedit. Scenes of her being regretful were left in this edit because she is a dynamic character with feelings.​
  • III: Cut shots and lines of specific exposition. Why? Because it was over-explanation that detracted from the rest of the already clearly understandable plot line. Examples of this: shots and lines of dialogue were removed from the Monarch Senate Hearings scene. Certain shots and dialogue of Emma over-explaining the worldwide kaiju threat were cut. Certain lines of dialogue from Mark over-explaining the Orca were cut. Many more similar edits were made throughout the film.​
  • IV: Besides goals I-III, stay as true to the original cut as possible. Why? Because the original cut has many great kaiju action scenes, and decent overall pacing to begin with.​

As I got deeper into the editing of this film I realized a scene would work with a music track. I worked hard to blend it back and forth with that of the film's at this point. In a scene towards the end with Emma, I use parts of this same track to try and emphasize the hopelessness of the moment. After that, I used a remixed version of the song over part of the end titles. It fleshes out the use of the track I hope. This music track is not overused. I intended for it to be understated after itโ€™s initial use. I also wove parts of the deleted scenes into the edit. These include a flashback of Mark with his son, and Madison using a radio. This edit therefore falls predominately under FanFix, with minor Extended Edition elements.

Cuts:
Note: not all cuts made are listed & timestamps below are from theatrical cut.
-I cut all the jokes except for a select couple.
^The entire Halo Jump scene video footage from Godzilla (2014) was regraded in Blender. I am a novice. The audio was recreated using the film, music, and newly added and recreated foley.
^Kitchen scene: The original film's and new audio/foley were blended, as well as major scene cuts that made new audio foley necessary. Neither Emma or Madison make jokes or say good morning to one another. If you compare, the changes made here are heavy.
-Cut shots of Mark acting weird listening to wolves (13:45sec)
-Cut jokes at Monarch hearing (13:05)
-Cut Mark reactions shots (14:54sec)
-Delete joke at (15:03sec)
-Take out smoke shot (18:00sec)
-Cut Emma talking to Madison (22:12sec). Extend staring shot
-Cut elevator joke (23:04)
-Cut dialogue (27:18sec)
-Cut joke (27:35sec)
-Cut joke (29:33sec)
-Scene change with overlapping audio (31:08sec)
-Shot where track "Why So Serious" begins to play (32:03sec)
-Cut line about running (35:49sec)
-Cut shot of Emma looking sad (35:54sec)
-Cut partial dialogue of Madison talking about Mark (37:07sec)
-Added deleted scene - Mark dreams of son's birthday (45:20sec)
-Cut Emma shot (48:01sec)
-Cut to word "but" in Emma's speech to truncate it (48:07sec)
-Cut Emma's speech from ".. Earth's natural defense system.." part to " ..unless we restore balance.." (49:20sec)
- Cut all the rhetorical exposition (50:07sec) and cut to reaction shot (50:10sec)
-Cut joke (55:48sec)
-Cut joke (1:00:52sec)
-Added Godzilla sound effect (1:03:11sec)
-Cut shot (1:03:37sec)
-Added deleted scene - Madison using radio to contact survivors (1:10:19sec)
-Cut joke (1:12:04sec)
-Cut joke (1:12:21sec)
-Cut exposition and overlap audio for transition (1:14:40sec)
-Cut joke (1:17:14sec)
-Cut joke (1:17:46sec)
-Cut joke (1:18:42sec)
-Cut joke (1:18:47sec)
-Cut joke (1:21:01sec)
-Cut joke (1:23:30sec)
-Cut joke (1:26:48sec)
-Cut joke (1:27:28sec)
-Cut joke (1:38:19sec)
-Cut joke (1:38:25sec)
-Cut joke (1:43:53sec)
-Cut joke (1:44:13sec)
-Cut "funny" arguing (1:47:26sec)
-Cut look of Madison being happy (1:53:24sec)
-Cut partial look of Madison being happy again (1:53:44sec)
-Cut Emma kissing Madison (1:54:12sec)
-Cut Emma smile and one-liner (1:57:02sec)
-Cut joke (1:59:21sec)
-Cut smile (2:00:20sec)
Completed Changes and Fixes from August 2021:
*Timestamps below from Workprint 5.
-Make Blu-ray covers - DONE
-Completely rework introduction credits scene with Godzilla (2014) blended with shots from the opening of Godzilla: KOTM (2019) - COMPLETE
-Render "intro" w/ red text added - DONE
-New find: (52:25) around this fix the double used shot over shoulder - maybe pull the audio in to match - DONE
-New find: (37:00) around this fix clipping on helicopter - DONE
-Add new Credits - remember to add new credits to end of edit - DONE
-Cut emma crying madi at (1:26:51) or entire shot w/ audio matched and blended - REMOVED - DONE
-Cut emma saying "i have to fix this" w/ audio matched and blended (1:36:00) - DONE
-Fix audio of mark talking at (1:35:15) w/ audio matched and blended - DONE
-Cut "we both want to save the planet.." w/ audio match (50:24) - DONE
-Cut part where Alan says "told them your whole plan" w/ audio match (49:49) - DONE
-Create and add the"The Dramatic Cut" overlayed-titlecard w/ red - DONE
-Fix audio cuts where Mark cuts Emma off w/ audio match (47:50) -DONE
-Fix audio Mark cuts guy off w/ audio match (14:30ish) - DONE
-Fix bad audio (1:43:40) concerning second humvi shot w/ audio match - DONE
-Cut Madi's smile to see Godzilla in boston w/ audio match - DONE
-Directly after Why So Serious cuts out put Third Street by Ryan Taubert - DONE
Completed Changes and Fixes from September 2021:
-Fix low resolution official Godzilla KOTM Titlecard & gamma/color adjust it for better clarity - COMPLETE
^I had left in a low resolution version in the last workprint.
-Gamma/color adjust similar titlecard at end of edit - COMPLETE
-Fix/Re-align several titlecards to center - COMPLETE
-Fix pacing/timing of slowed shots of Emma and Madison in the kitchen opening - FIXED
-Fix clipping audio in monarch hearing scene - FIXED
^added low hum sfx to scene as well
-Find and fix clipping audio noticed by ArtisDead - FIXED
^ I found parts of the timeline where the strips were not faded when Mark is talking to Emma.
-Try to apply idea of cutting some of the Emma/Mark exchange - FIXED
^Suggesed by ArtisDead.
-Fix/cut shot of Emma/Madi on helicopter - FIXED
^reverted back to theatrical cut. Madi now says she is scared and Emma "agrees". I should have left this sequence alone from the beginning.
-Check for "red tinting" in the 'intimidation display' scene - CHECKED
^I noticed that the overhead lights in some shots are orange/red and I noticed one shot of Serizawa's face being red. This red color is coming from the massive screen he is looking at I believe.
-Fix clipping audio at the end of the 'intimidation scene' - FIXED
^Found by myself and ArtisDead.
-Fix clipping during 'monster zero discussion' - FIXED
^Found by myself and ArtisDead.
-Fix/cut line: "I record everything..." (around 1hr.16min.) - COMPLETE
-Cut/Re-align shots when Alan exclaims "We don't have time for this" - COMPLETE
-Cut line: "I have to fix this." by Emma when leaving to find Madison - COMPLETE
^This dialogue line was originally said by Emma off-screen.
-Adjust audio levels of drill sfx during Orca fixing scene - COMPLETE
-Write in new credits to end scroller - COMPLETE
-Fix credit scroll at very end - FIXED
^The credits at the very end scrolled out of frame incorrectly
-Make Special Thanks to end scroller - COMPLETE
-Add end scroller to timeline - COMPLETE
-Two render sizes at 2688 x 1120 resolution and 320 kbs AAC Audio - COMPLETE
-Render blu ray compatible files - COMPLETE
-Update blu ray covers- COMPLETE
Completed Changes and Fixes from December 2021:
-Remove full screen THE DRAMATIC CUT text over intro shots - COMPLETE
-23:43 - remove line "deep breaths eyes straight..." - COMPLETE
-1:05:00 - remove Madi line "you're a monster" - COMPLETE
-1:23:25 - cut line "all the legends, the stories, they're true!" - COMPLETE
-1:26:35 -cut short action scene - cut to fenway park shot (1:27:09) - COMPLETE
-1:35:04 -"Are you ok?" cut line - COMPLETE
-1:45:33 -"he's gonna reach critical mass, in 6 minutes"
^cut "6 minutes" part - COMPLETE
-Add new titlescreen to beginning and end (2x) - COMPLETE
^use font Haettenschweiler - COMPLETE
-Add "The Woods" song by Lorn to end credits - COMPLETE
^add song credits to credit scroll - COMPLETE
-Add special thanks Wraith in the credits scroll - COMPLETE
-Fix poster and Blu Ray covers- COMPLETE

If you are interested in seeing some of the work check out these videos:

This is my edited version of the official FE.org Netflix logo version:
New titlecard. The idea was suggested by Wraith:
This is a side-by-side of the color grading I did to the Halo Jump scene:

Short clip previewing the moments before a big action scene begins:

Last edited:

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit: found an error in audio mixing at the end of the film. fixing and re-rendering.
This was actually the last edit I did before rendering
But it's fixed now

Edit 2: Fixed Mark/son flashback.

Last edited:

dkerin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the dramatic approach you have, and totally agree that the over use of humor (especially from one character) felt so unnecessary. Love Godzilla films in all their various eras, and for me KOTM was a great throwback to the mega monster fights, though with far better visual FX! And I always liked a more serious take on the stories. Look forward to what all you do with this.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a titlecard I'm working on. It isn't finished. The effects are bad and the glow is as well. I plan to redo it but for now this is what the titlecard looks like:

The fanedit itself is done (for now). So if you want to watch it and critique me DM me. I'll happily do the same for you.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey all, I've gone back to the timeline to change some audio levels toward the end of the film.

I've also come up with an idea to insert a reaction shot of Madison around here. Testing to see if it flows.

Concerning the titlecard, I've come up with some sweet ideas. forget the first iteration. The fading in text is completely changing. No more cringe i swear. the next iteration of this gif titlecard thing will be awesome.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MAJOR UPDATE 1:

Coffee?:coffee: Check. And here, we, go. Watch till the end.

I worked long and hard on this teaser. It could become my Bluray menu loop.. ๐Ÿค” I learned After Effects to make this essencially. If you saw my version 1 you know how much improved this is. So much better. More effects, dialogue, a music clip, and sound effects. If you want to see version 1 it is in my GDrive.

MAJOR UPDATE 2:

This concerns The Dramatic Cut film edit itself: I discovered a method/tutorial to smooth out low fps/slow motion shots and make them look natural. I am going to re-watch my Workprint 4, note all my slow motion shots, isolate them, drop them into Adobe Premiere Pro, do this method/tutorial, add all the rendered shots back into the Blender timeline, re-render the entire film. Peice of pie๐Ÿฐ.

Afterwards, I'll upload what will be considered Workprint 5, but at that point Workprint 4 is good ladies and gentlemen. Hit me up. I look forward to you all watching it and giving me feedback.

NOTE:
Updated link twice after two edits were made.

Last edited:

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One thing that irks me about the movie is that Emma is ultimately presented as having been right. She releases the Titans because she believes they will answer to Godzilla, and under his leadership will save the planet somehow. The one hitch in her plan is that Ghidora is from a different planet and doesn't care about our ecosystem, so the Titans won't fulfill her plan until Godzilla is re-instituted as King of the Monsters. The ending credits show news clippings implying that her plan ultimately worked, and the climate is being repaired due to the Titans.

Is there a way to change it so that having the Titans cause as much damage as possible under Ghidorah's leadership (in order to fully destroy industrialized society and stop carbon dioxide emissions) was her plan all along, and Godzilla prevents this from happening by instituting his (implied) "live and let live" policy toward humanity?

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there a way to change it so that having the Titans kill as many people as possible under Ghidorah's leadership (in order to fully destroy industrialized society and stop carbon dioxide emissions)
I would love to make her into a true villain, cut out the middle man eco-terrorist character and have her be the Big Bad of the film, but sadly there is not enough content with her to do that. What I do, is cut content of her reactions in the film. This is primarily when she directly interacts with Mark and Madison. Her reaction shots or entire lines of dialogue were edited out. This extends to Madison too. Many of her "happy" looks at the end of the film were cut.

This edit is primarily a Fix, e.g. I took almost every single joke out, but it is also about trying to make Emma look more like a bad guy..

I just had a thought about cutting something of Emma.. and you made me think about it. Interesting.

Last edited:

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BIG UPDATE:

I've compiled a list of a ton of my exact edits and updated the original thread post.

Last edited:

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BIG UPDATE #2 for the week:

The next iteration of the poster/menu/teaser/aesthetic clip is done! I took feedback from a few people as well as things I know needed changing.

Pkmatrix

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Count me as VERY interested in this! I loved KOTM, it's personally my favorite of the MonsterVerse films, and as much as I enjoyed the lightness I'd love to see a darker cut of the film. :)

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait to show everyone. I am still working on it. Working on the intro, which is new ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I felt I had to set the mood differently than I had it.. I'll do a detailed post covering this once it's closer to done. Big update soon. Stay tuned. ;)

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
M A J O R U P D A T E :

๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ ๐Ÿ˜
Who's ready to watch the first 7 minutes of my edit in 4K? The only unfinished thing about it are the obvious placeholder titlecards. Those will look better and actually be done soon. I hope you enjoy it. It's fucking intense. So buckle up.

Last edited:

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
M A J O R U P D A T E :

๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ ๐Ÿ˜
Who's ready to watch the first 7 minutes of my edit in 4K? The only unfinished thing about it are the obvious placeholder titlecards. Those will look better and actually be done soon. I hope you enjoy it. It's fucking intense. So buckle up.

Looking good! Any plans to do a similar cut of Godzilla vs Kong?

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking good! Any plans to do a similar cut of Godzilla vs Kong?
Thanks. I'm pretty happy how this intro has turned out. After this full edit is complete though, I plan to go back, yes back to my first actual fan edit of the video game film Assassin's Creed. I want to revisit it and see if I can make it work. Then from there I have 3 or 4 paths I want to take. Once I actually watch GvK, if my brain starts shooting of ideas I will note them down and possibly do an edit. It very well could happen, especially if people dig this current project, but I have plans for some other big franchises ๐Ÿ˜

Tell me SolemnP, do you think GvK needs a dramatic cut? I may do it if people like this one lol. Does GvK have needless humor and exposition?

Last edited:

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks. I'm pretty happy how this intro has turned out. After this full edit is complete though, I plan to go back, yes back to my first actual fan edit of the video game film Assassin's Creed. I want to revisit it and see if I can make it work. Then from there I have 3 or 4 paths I want to take. Once I actually watch GvK, if my brain starts shooting of ideas I will note them down and possibly do an edit. It very well could happen, especially if people dig this current project, but I have plans for some other big franchises ๐Ÿ˜

Tell me SolemnP, do you think GvK needs a dramatic cut? I may do it if people like this one lol. Does GvK have needless humor and exposition?

I look forward to watching the completed edit.

I've only watched GvK once so far. I think the bigger problem was the exposition (over-explaining everything). There are some unnecessary one liners during the action scenes as well. I also think the sub-plot with the kids could be removed (or shortened), which was the source of some humor/silliness.

dkerin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very nice open... and definitely fits the title for a Dramatic cut! Love the ominous feel.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very nice open... and definitely fits the title for a Dramatic cut! Love the ominous feel.
Right on. Glad you agree that it was intense haha. This project has now seen me spawn in 3 uses of outside music. Not something I ever intended starting the project. Nor did I initially ever intend to make this opening. The idea has come very late as I am 98% finished editing the rest of the film already. I'm now working on small tweaks that need to be made to the rest of the edit. As I do this I always find something else to tweak or maybe change.

I think I will be submitting this work in about 2 or 3 weeks. I have a day job so I do this outside of that. But I also like to sit on "finished" work for a day. go back and watch again and see if anything bugs me or stands out.

2 to 3 weeks though, and this baby will be submitted.

Pkmatrix

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the way you integrated the HALO jump sequence! Well done!

I'm a bit more hesitant about the way the Emma and Madison scene was edited...having them say nothing feels off, as it doesn't feel like either character has really been introduced or their relationship much established. I think at least them discussing Mark should have been kept, but overall I liked it. :)

EDIT: Another thought about it, the exchange about the email and Madison admitting she was talking to her father shows how we're lead to believe that Madison and Emma are honest with each other, which is why Maddie feels so betrayed later when she realizes Emma has been lying to her about what they are doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom