• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Dramatic Cut

I'm a bit more hesitant about the way the Emma and Madison scene was edited...having them say nothing feels off, as it doesn't feel like either character has really been introduced or their relationship much established. I think at least them discussing Mark should have been kept, but overall I liked it. :)

EDIT: Another thought about it, the exchange about the email and Madison admitting she was talking to her father shows how we're lead to believe that Madison and Emma are honest with each other, which is why Maddie feels so betrayed later when she realizes Emma has been lying to her about what they are doing.
I agree actually and if I were to start admitting all my hesitations there would be too many to count. So after your edited reply, do you think I should just remove my edit of the kitchen scene? Could be easily done. But, the acting is so poor from both actors here, and Madi being all goofy and trying and failing to be funny makes me cringe when I see the original. What I left out is explained later in the film. Mark explains what happened when he admits to having been a drunk. But again, I can revert back to the original if it is what the majority of fan editors here think. I just need more of you/us to watch and give me feedback 👀.

And thanks for your honest feedback it really helps.

Last edited:
I agree actually and if I were to start admitting all my hesitations there would be too many to count. So after your edited reply, do you think I should just remove my edit of the kitchen scene? Could be easily done. But, the acting is so poor from both actors here, and Madi being all goofy and trying and failing to be funny makes me cringe when I see the original. What I left out is explained later in the film. Mark explains what happened when he admits to having been a drunk. But again, I can revert back to the original if it is what the majority of fan editors here think. I just need more of you/us to watch and give me feedback 👀.

And thanks for your honest feedback it really helps.

Hmm..well, I say leave it as it is at least for now. :) I'd like to see the whole thing before saying definitively I'd prefer it the other way, because it could very well just work better that way for your cut.

Want everyone to know I've been through some unfortunate stuff in my family these past few weeks. Not going into much detail but a family pet went missing and I've been helping my family search and all kinds of other stuff to find him. All this saw me put a halt on my edit for a few weeks.

Anyways, I am back to editing. But it sucks that I had to scrap 3 days of work on a cool idea I had for masking some text during the intro scene I posted most recently. It didn't look right and I scrapped it and replaced it with what you'll see when you watch the edit.

Now that the intro is done (for now) I will finish the other few edits and tweaks to the rest of the film next week when I am off. I work weekends. It will be done very soon! :love::sneaky:

Last edited:
Looking forward to this! KOTM hit so many things that childhood me wanted in a Godzilla movie. But the bad jokes and other elements you addressed would just pull me out of the movie. I have always been more a fan of G movies that try to take itself seriously (to varying degrees :) ) and this sounds like the edit this move deserves.

Rest assured. The edit is ready to render. New to such a large render, but it should be sent in tomorrow evening to the Academy. Almost there. Hold tight.

I fixed the issue I was having. I am looking at about 7.5GB file right now but bitrates were set between 8 and 11 mbps for this 1920x800 file. I think I may re-render again after raising the target and max rates. But I am happy with where I am at now with this size file.

Last edited:
So...I've been watching this workprint for most of the day. Overall, I feel like you accomplish your goal. It is darker, more dramatic and has an almost horror quality. I love that you trimmed a lot of, and I do mean a lot of cheesy jokes.

I feel that it makes for a better experience that Emma seems cold, calculated and almost like a conspiracy theorist revolutionary. You don't really see her heart until the end when she's trying to draw Gojira away fro Godzilla and decides to martyr herself.

With all of that being said...

There were a couple of places where Mark's speech seemed to fall off without any good reason. And another place where your editing causes him to stutter a word.

I will try to find timestamps for those on my computer.

One other thing...

What if you took out the cheesy interchange between Emma and Mark about him running away from the loss of their son on the big screen? Maybe go straight into her telling them to find a bunker to be safe?

I thought this original was a good movie, I feel that you have made it better.

Did you per chance check out Godzilla Path of Destruction?

So...I've been watching this workprint for most of the day. Overall, I feel like you accomplish your goal. It is darker, more dramatic and has an almost horror quality. I love that you trimmed a lot of, and I do mean a lot of cheesy jokes.

I feel that it makes for a better experience that Emma seems cold, calculated and almost like a conspiracy theorist revolutionary. You don't really see her heart until the end when she's trying to draw Gojira away fro Godzilla and decides to martyr herself.

With all of that being said...

There were a couple of places where Mark's speech seemed to fall off without any good reason. And another place where your editing causes him to stutter a word.

I will try to find timestamps for those on my computer.

One other thing...

What if you took out the cheesy interchange between Emma and Mark about him running away from the loss of their son on the big screen? Maybe go straight into her telling them to find a bunker to be safe?

I thought this original was a good movie, I feel that you have made it better.

Did you per chance check out Godzilla Path of Destruction?
First: Thank you thank you thank you for your thoughts and time. I'm glad you like all the joke trims. I do to lol.

I really am interested in going to the timeline and looking at that Emma/Mark exchange.. very much so. This kinda feedback, when it's stuff I never thought to try, that stuff can start to click even more. Any way of making that part smoother would make me happy too.

And about the audio falloffs or fades. If you even know what they were saying or what was happening on screen I will probably be able to figure it out myself and definitely look at that.

Last edited:
So, i watched the workprint and as others mentioned: for what you´d try to accomplish your cut works pretty good. The movie is much more serious throughout.
The only thing i think that is dispensable is at the 7 minute mark "it´s gonna be ok" after the rumbling/little earthquake.

Technical wise (i watched it on my projector with a 90 inch wall): your edit would profit from a higher quality/bitrate because in dark scenes, at least on my setup, i could notice artifacts everytime. In brighter scenes less.
In the scene with the underwater station where they track godzilla and he´s presumably coming for them, the faces have a red tint. Did you color corrected this scene?

Otherwise it was entertaining because of the seriousness. Even though it didn´t fixed the problems i have with the movie itself, but that´s totally subjective and has nothing to do with your edit.

So, i watched the workprint and as others mentioned: for what you´d try to accomplish your cut works pretty good. The movie is much more serious throughout.
The only thing i think that is dispensable is at the 7 minute mark "it´s gonna be ok" after the rumbling/little earthquake.

Technical wise (i watched it on my projector with a 90 inch wall): your edit would profit from a higher quality/bitrate because in dark scenes, at least on my setup, i could notice artifacts everytime. In brighter scenes less.
In the scene with the underwater station where they track godzilla and he´s presumably coming for them, the faces have a red tint. Did you color corrected this scene?

Otherwise it was entertaining because of the seriousness. Even though it didn´t fixed the problems i have with the movie itself, but that´s totally subjective and has nothing to do with your edit.
Heya, glad to finally reply to you.

I will definitely look at cutting the "it´s gonna be ok" line. This could make that intro flow even better.. ty

About rendering it at a higher quality: easily done. I can render at higher quality. This was my first time rendering such a large project.

About the red tinting in the intimidation scene I presume: I would like to compare and see what you mean. I didn't color grade that scene.

And about the overall "fixing" of the film's and our problem with it: I agree that the original writing isn't great to begin with and fixing the character dynamics and motivations is seemingly impossible. I did want this to feel less cringy though, and remove what I could while leaving the film's flow in tact. I hoped that it would feel slightly more nihilistic this way.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Update:

I have gone back to the timeline to fix and change several things from feedback given in this thread as well as problems I noticed myself.

Before I tell you about the fixes, I made this little clip to show off my version of the official Netflix version of the FanEdit.org logo, with audio from the workprint, for you to enjoy.

Here are my notes for the next workprint:

-Find and fix clipping audio noticed by ArtisDead - FIXED
^ I found parts of the timeline where the strips were not faded when Mark is talking to Emma.

-Fix credit scroll at very end - FIXED
^The credits at the very end scrolled out of frame incorrectly

-Try to apply idea of cutting some of the Emma/Mark exchange - FIXED
^Suggesed by ArtisDead.

Fix/cut line: "i record everything"

fix/cut shot of emma/madi on helicopter

higher bit render at 3840 x 1600 resolution instead of 1920 x 800

render blu ray compatible files

update blu ray covers
-------------

I've already fixed a couple of the issues as you can see.

I'm also going to put out a side by side video of the slight color grading I did in the intro credits scene.

Last edited:
Edit submitted for review. Moved to Pending. An academy member will reach out to you regarding the review in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom