• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Godsmacked

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know why you suggested the Apocalypto resubbing now hahaha. I'll be picking up a used copy of POTC so I can watch it :D

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hot pharisee-on-jesus action.
recently posted this godsmacked excerpt on an atheist blog, and now i pass the blasphemy on the left-hand side.

password = fanedit.org

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there's an atheist blog i visit frequently, roll to disbelieve. it's written by captain cassidy, an awesome person and an insightful, humorous writer. having been through the religious wringer, she looks not only at the BS within christianity, but how that BS affects the social fabric.

godsmacked is being presented in her blog in miniseries format: "Lights, Camera, Crucifixion!" here's the link to the first installment, including the guest blog post and disqus comments. for those who've never had a chance to see the edit, i'll link the segments here and update this post as i upload the remaining bits. (vimeo has a weekly upload limit for free accounts.)

presenting godsmacked to a wider audience has become an opportunity to make a few changes. out of about 600 subtitles, there were a handful of lines that i thought could have been better, but i ran out of creative steam before the release of the project in 2016. i've now rewritten those lines, and in a month or so, i'll have a version 1.1 uploaded to mega.

enjoy!

Godsmacked, Part 1 (password: r2d)

Godsmacked, Part 2 (password: r2d)

Godsmacked, Part 3 (password: r2d)

Godsmacked, Part 4 (password: r2d)

Godsmacked, Part 5 (password: r2d)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the fifth and final segment of godsmacked has been uploaded and added to the post above.

it contains actual footage of jesus as well as his friends, romans, and countrymen.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While translating the trailer, including the American "R" rating, it struck me that Godsmacked is aimed at a mature audience. Churches don't wait that long: they try to get people to buy into their religion from early childhood.

Why would Godsmacked give churches such a big head start? Well, for one, the film shows violence and blood in unsettling detail. Not something I want to put on for my kids. Definitely distracts from the funny. Another is the amount of attention required (heavy stuff, and subtitles all the way because nobody speaks Aramaic anymore).

Which brings me to my minor revelation: Godsmacked needs a Young Audience Edition.

Can it be done? Can the blood and gore be cut from the screen and only suggested at (a PG13 rating)? Can the scope of the narrative be trimmed to scale back either depth or breadth? A short runtime to help hold kids' attention span (25 minutes like most kids programs on TV)?

Heretical idea, you say? Well, isn't that part of the point? ;)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
it struck me that Godsmacked is aimed at a mature audience. Churches don't wait that long

i know this doesn't directly address your point, but you're right. . . there were reports of adults taking their young kids to see the theatrical version. :huh: can't imagine that was healthy for their tender psyches. zealotry makes people do fucked-up things.

as for creating a PG-13 version, that's a really interesting idea. unlike the sukaiwaka fortressgodsmacked was never intended for children, with its f-bombs and sexual references. but it would be possible to rewrite godsmacked to clean up the language.

a far trickier aspect: removing all the beatings and blood would not only truncate the edit, but remove the story's structure and finale.

but i'll consider whether it's possible to tell a coherent story as i rewatch the edit with an eye toward editing the edit. i might feel differently about the feasibility of your proposal after doing so.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you know what? challenge on.

got an idea. a music video featuring jeejuss. coherent storyline not needed. gonna make it funky with loads of yeshua. some stigmata of beatings, but no active beatings.

and don’t let me be the only dude having fun. anybody else want to give it a try? whoever has a copy of godsmacked. the results could be interesting.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
a music video

Are you thinking Bach or hip hop? Stay within the musical framing device of the church, or use it to position Jesus as a modern-for-his-time anti-establishment guy?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if bach had the divine stamp of approval, the almighty should have plopped him down in the first century to compose jesus’s soundtrack in real time. . . oh, wait. bach’s instruments of choice hadn’t been invented yet. :angel:

bach could work, too. i like that suggestion, LM.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
anticipated in 2021: mel gibson's sequel to the passion of the christ.

if the production values are excellent (expected), and the message is as batshit as in the original (expected), i'll eventually put together a not-a-fan fanedit sequel, the tentative title of which i'll park here:
godsmacked II: resurrectile dysfunction.

please, gibson, don't do the crouching tiger english-language sequel thing. do it in aramaiac. or latin. or chinese. do it for my subs.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alternate title ideas:

Godsmacked: Book II

Godsmacked II: The Blasphemy Continues

Godsmacked II: Further Selective Readings

Godsmacked 2: I'm not dead yet