• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GODDAMMITSOMUCH

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I wish I had the money/means to buy all the books I'd like to read. The local library doesn't have a fourth of the books I'm interested in (and it's been closed now due to this COVID caca, anyway), and my ADHD makes it impossible to read long documents online, so I can't take full advantage of the Internet Archive, Project Gutenberg, etc.

Have you tried a black & white kindle e-reader? The screens really do have the look of paper, with none of the glare, flicker and eye strain. You could probably find an old one on ebay for $30. You can then load every classic out-of-print novel onto it for free.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Duragizer said:
I wish I had the money/means to buy all the books I'd like to read. The local library doesn't have a fourth of the books I'm interested in (and it's been closed now due to this COVID caca, anyway), and my ADHD makes it impossible to read long documents online, so I can't take full advantage of the Internet Archive, Project Gutenberg, etc.

Have you tried a black & white kindle e-reader? The screens really do have the look of paper, with none of the glare, flicker and eye strain. You could probably find an old one on ebay for $30. You can then load every classic out-of-print novel onto it for free.

I haven't been able to buy online for some years now. It comes with having a sister who is a chain-smoking alcoholic who keeps every credit card maxed out.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thrift stores are where I get most of my books, do you have any nearby? Does your library potentially have a way to request books from other libraries?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Thrift stores are where I get most of my books, do you have any nearby?

Plenty. Problem is I have niche tastes; I doubt I'm gonna find Kropotkin's The Conquest of Bread or Tillich's The Courage to Be at the local Value Village, for instance.

Does your library potentially have a way to request books from other libraries?

I'm pretty sure they do, but that option's out with all library branches closed down to the coronavirus hysteria.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I keep getting swamped with PMs from people obsessed with asking me for advise on how to fix Rise of Skywalker  and I'm too damn polite to tell them to knock it the F off and put it in the ROS idea thread

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol. Why would anyone think to ask YOU about that!? I keed, I keed. :p

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Half of their bats*it suggestions are above my skill level. I know they're shooting the breeze, but...indeed, why do they think I have the answers to everything?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only time I went into a 7-Eleven... Outside they advertised 5 dollar large pizzas. I went inside, and they were just selling cooked frozen pizzas. And that's when I realized what 7-Eleven is.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wish I could go vegetarian, or at least pescatarian. But noooo, veggies have to be so goddamn expensive.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frozen veggies are pretty cheap in the US. Are they not in Canada?

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're eating them raw then yes definitely. But if you're cooking them id argue frozen is just as good if not better than fresh.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm worried that one of my romantic relationships is coming to an end :(

Ray Danger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Possessed said:

They're cheap. Nothing beats fresh, though.

So, if you can't be top-shelf vegan, you choose being a total carnivore?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ray said:
Duragizer said:
Possessed said:

They're cheap. Nothing beats fresh, though.

So, if you can't be top-shelf vegan, you choose being a total carnivore?

No. The reluctance of my family (mainly my sister) to eat less meat is also a factor. I'm shitty at elucidation.

Ray Danger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just unwilling to shake my life up that much. Lame, I know.
I'm a fairly picky eater. I don't have a wildly varying or adventurous diet. Finding new proteins would be a huge change.
goddammitsomuch.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been a vegetarian for about 17 years. It is not hard, nor is it expensive. In fact, I would say it can be a lot cheaper than spending money on meat. Just don't eat junk food...

Top Bottom