• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Give me HD or give me death?

Should it be possible for SD fanedits to get "A/V Quality" scores of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This surprised me.
What if the editor felt that the HD source was inferior due to some reason such as 'remastering' that may add bad sharpening or halo effects or garish colour?
Also, does that mean the guidelines will be changing, because doesn't the current guidelines say 'compared to the source'?
Thanks for any clarification.
Then the editor should make note that that is why the HD source was used, so people reviewing will factor that in. I know this scenario exists, in DVD vs BD, and in BD vs UHD, but it's such an outlier, that I don't know if it's a concern.

I will definitely give a high video quality score to an edit that uses a superior SD source AND maintains that original quality in the final render. I won't give high marks to an edit that uses SD, HD or UHD and ends up worse than the source image.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Could I also ask for clarification on whether it is acceptable to throw abuse at another member on the forums? Because someone verbaly abused me just now and it has gone completely unaddressed.
-
It's a working class job, and I probably make much less than many here, so again you can take this 'privileged' bullshit and fuck yourself with it.

Maybe I am snob. Sorry I'm willing to spend $40 on a Blu-ray drive out of my working class paycheck. I'm sure all the money buying DVDs could have bought one pretty quickly.

I admit, I took a chance using the word "privilege". Anywhere that its brought up, online or irl, it requires a lot of nuance to explain. I make no assumption that I know anyone's background or where they came from, because how would I ever know? If anything should be highlighted about Possessed's reponse to what I said, it's that I don't know their background and etc, and in turn they shouldn't assume any baseline about anyone else concerning the same when it comes to investing in entering this hobby. I'm not passing judgement on character, I was just commenting on the literal words on my screen.

I'm seeing a lot of hasty made up examples here that are just exploring things spiraling further away from the topic. Again, the take away is just that no one knows where another is coming from. So, just for a specific example, saying that used blurays are incredibly cheap when my experience trying to find niche copies of certain films is entirely the opposite, does by the very nature of simplifying any statement, make it not 100% true or 100% false. Because most of the time the experience encompasses both scenarios.

That said, I didn't intend for this to start any sort of negative argument that spirals out into chaos. For sake of discussion, anyone can DM me and I will have a discusssion on privilege or etc. I'm not feeling angry or hyped up over this. But I guess just to reiterate the golden internet rule, lets try to insult each other/argue in less explicit ways ;)

As for standards and etc, I have said my peace. And if the standards here say that everything moving forward should at minimum be HD, thats the way it will be. I see and respect the reasoning on both sides of this argument". As usual I just want to make sure we are making decisions that benefit everyone. At the end of the day though:
there is a place on the internet for every standard of quality assessment and this site shouldn't be required to represent them all.
So it's fine either way. Those that want it one way or the other will find a place for them somewhere.

Last edited:
I admit, I took a chance using the word "privilege". Anywhere that its brought up, online or irl, it requires a lot of nuance to explain. I make no assumption that I know anyone's background or where they came from, because how would I ever know?
I've not come across this, is privilege a loaded word? My understanding of it is that many of us are all privileged in one way or another. I'm privileged to live in a country where I can pour water from the tap and trust that it is clean and does not have parasites in it. It's all relative. What have I missed?

I've not come across this, is privilege a loaded word? My understanding of it is that many of us are all privileged in one way or another. I'm privileged to live in a country where I can pour water from the tap and trust that it is clean and does not have parasites in it. It's all relative. What have I missed?
I don't know about other countries, and won't get particularly specific to avoid talking "about politics", but to answer this question briefly as possible, in the U.S. it is currently considered by some to be a political term.

I believe the pushback to the term comes from people feeling like acknowledging their privilege is some kind of erasure of their own challenges and disadvantages. Generally speaking.

(Edit: added an L to the word talking)

I don't know about other countries, and won't get particularly specific to avoid taking "about politics", but to answer this question briefly as possible, in the U.S. it is currently considered by some to be a political term.

I believe the pushback to the term comes from people feeling like acknowledging their privilege is some kind of erasure of their own challenges and disadvantages. Generally speaking.
Thank you, I appreciate it. Then I will apologise for the use of a term that some people will find triggering. It was not my intent.

Reactions: Q2F
you can take this 'privileged' bullshit and fuck yourself with it.
Can we just stop with the hypothetical 12 year old destitute orphans should be able to edit too make-believe?
You two have made your feelings abundantly clear. Using hyperbolic language directed at other members isn't helpful, and honestly, it just makes you look bad. I started this poll with the intention to highlight an issue and get people to weigh in on where they stood, not to shout down others for where they stood. You can't seem to give your opinion without getting defensive and lashing out, so kindly stop. Just stop. You've said your peace, and in the most toxic way you could. End it.

I Believe it was already ended yesterday, at least for my part. but thank you for reminding me, it really did add to the discussion. And as another poster pointed out, "privileged" is a politically charged word where I live and is usually used insultingly around here, so I was merely responding in what I felt like was in kind. I also point out that I didn't even GET defensive until somebody else shot ME down for what I thought, but of course nobody cares about that because I was a big ole meanie head. but that's neither here nor there. They then explained that that wasn't what they meant so I was going to apologize, and still do offer an apology for getting angry at what appears to have been a misunderstanding of intent. I'm sorry to them for getting so angry, like I said that word is used very strangely in the us so out of habit I'm conditioned to take it the way I usually hear it.

But thank you SO MUCH for bringing it back up when it was already over, I'm sure it will really help in bringing your discussion back on track.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom