• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GitS 2017 - Lean & Mean Edition

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gits- Lean and Mean Edition?

Is this a sequel to Grumpy Old Men?  :D

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I often think I should just let TM2YC take over my projects and make them better. :)

We need to get this guy converted into a plug-in.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is exactly why I love TM2YC. Not only does he give detailed, specific feedback, he gets hands on and helps troubleshoot the problems. He always gives 119%. Thank you good sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
This is exactly why I love TM2YC. Not only does he give detailed, specific feedback, he gets hands on and helps troubleshoot the problems. He always gives 119%. Thank you good sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Thanks and not only that but I'm also pretty anally-retentive, so I only ever give 100% :D .

I've reviewed an updated file with the earlier lip-sync shot fixed and the audio distortion problems are gone too, so this edit is approved :) .

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Easily one of the smoothest edits I've reviewed for the Academy. There isn't a single video, or audio edit that I could detect. I'm not sure where the 15-minutes that have been removed came from but it obviously wasn't required. The re-structuring of the end and especially the opening really do improve the film. Saving the reveal that the Major isn't fully human until 7-8 minutes in works so well, it should never have been edited any other way! The rescored titles are great. The new edits are even timed with the music beats, very professional. The 16GB filesize is large but you get a very well encoded and detailed 1080p mp4, so it's not wasted bandwidth.

A highly recommended edit.

(Thread moved)

idoru2099

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had a quick look and the opening sequence is so much better and closer to the original animation. Nice work, I think I'll enjoy this fanedit!

The video quality is great. For a smaller file size I'm sure that by lowering the bitrate to half and the movie size to 720p, you could roughly get the same quality.

English subtitles would also be greatly appreciated!

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really impressed with this edit, it was seemless and with the exception of the end of the mid movie flashback, cuts were invisible. I actually had to get my Blu Ray of the original version out to check what was removed. Also loved the choice of music at the start. Perhaps most importantly, it improved the story and created a much more engaging viewing experience. I would strongly recommend you give it a go

fairfriend

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for taking the time to leave a post. I'm glad you enjoyed the fanedit and that you actually took the time to compare it with the original cut. That is very flattering.

tmihai20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the cut. It does justice to the animated version.

6RID8U6

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Late to the party here... is this fanedit still available? Would love to check it out!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Late to the party here... is this fanedit still available? Would love to check it out!
Please PM the editor to make a request for the edit.
Also, our trades and requests guidelines can be found here :)

AriochRN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've only recently discovered that this fan edit exists - and I've just finished watching it. My reaction:
:eek:
GitS is perhaps my most watched/read series since first seeing the film sometime in 1996, and when I walked out at the end of the first showing of the live-action movie I was gutted. Why they wanted to graft on a load of Robocop-lost-memory plot was beyond me.

If I'd have seen this version of the film in the cinema, I'd have walked out elated! Absolutely AMAZING work on the editing - this has gone from a film I was trying my best to forget about to one that I will quite happily watch again.

It may be belated thanks, but thank you very, very, very much for putting this together! :D(y)

chchonky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is very good, great work fairfriend!

Many of the scenes I saw in the original on first viewing were terrible and I was constantly rolling my eyes. But in fairfriend's edit they hit harder and I can take them seriously. They have actual weight to them. I'm not doubting them.

I was thrilled to see how this edit fixed so many bad story and editing choices. It fixes a lot of character problems I noticed with the original, such as dialogue or actions that made Major look weak (ex: the ending of the sequence when she fights the guy in the water, which was thankfully removed) or characters performing actions that didn’t make sense or were unnecessary (like the suicide in the interrogation room).

Amazing what a good edit can do, really saves this film. I'll have to look more closely for all the changes, I got the sense a lot of things were tightened up, like removing the first shot of "the hacker" from the opening sequence, removing the consent stuff. It all adds up. The film is actually enjoyable to watch now.

Top Bottom