• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Gieferg Wins July 2021 FEOTM

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The winner for July FEOTM is Gieferg with their edit, Justice League Grindhoused! “Shortened to 133 minutes, focused on action and main plotline, with most of the character backstories removed or significantly shortened, this version relates heavily to 70s aesthetics but is not limited to it. The movie got used, damaged look and most… (read full article...)

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Out of curiosity and as a non-native english speaker:

The winner for July FEOTM is Gieferg with their edit, Justice League Grindhoused!

"their"?

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Out of curiosity and as a non-native english speaker:

"their"?
Ah. yeah that could be confusing (because English is not confusing enough). While English favors gendered pronouns when talking about a single person (he/she, his/her) and 'their' is typically used to describe a group of two or more, 'their' can also be used as a genderless alternative to his/her.

This convention has been used as a safe way to address a person when their gender may not be known although that is not a hard rule, it has long been acceptable to use the genderless 'their' based on the author's feel of how best to construct the sentence.

In recent years the use of 'their' in this context has increased as people have a greater understanding and empathy of how people want to be identified when they do not wish to be identified by gender at all. (It is increasingly common to see (he/his) (she/her) (they/their) in twitter profiles and email signature blocks so that when people are responding, they can use their preferred pronouns (see what I did there? since I wouldn't know if the subject was male or female, I used their even though i was talking about a singular hypothetical person).

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom