• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Ghostbusters 3 (TM2YC edit of 2016 Film)

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought of another alternative gag for the second one:
after a few seconds of silence on the tape...we hear Bugs Bunny saying "Eh...what's up, doc?"

vernequeneto

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice edits already ::D we can see that it can be a better movie  :p   and about the joke I would go for the first one

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy said:
I thought of another alternative gag for the second one:
after a few seconds of silence on the tape...we hear Bugs Bunny saying "Eh...what's up, doc?"

Not a bad idea but kinda random. I liked the rick-roll because it is literally pranking Erin but apart from that, I'd probably want it to be a ghost/horror specific prank. Some other options I've considered...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some ideas,

A Casper quote "Hi I'm Casper, would you like to be my friend?" Or something like that

The theme song from Ghost with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze.

The kid from the sixth sense "I see dead people".

Slimer. Any incarnation would do. This would set up his later appearance as payoff.

The girl from poltergeist "They're here"

Some stupid Melissa McCarthy line over a reversed or very quiet "there is no Dana, only Zuul". The joke being that they did indeed catch something but they were focused on dicking around and missed it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
The theme song from Ghost with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze.

The kid from the sixth sense "I see dead people".

'Ghost' had occurred to me but I couldn't think of something quick and specific to use from it. The 6th sense quote is a very good idea, I might give that a go.

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the Sixth Sense quote could really work - although what about just having someone yelling 'BOO!' as the sound on the tape?  Short, simple, has the 'gotcha' moment that is intended.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
coinilius said:
I think the Sixth Sense quote could really work - although what about just having someone yelling 'BOO!' as the sound on the tape?  Short, simple, has the 'gotcha' moment that is intended.

The boo box from Hook?

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
The boo box from Hook?

I haven't seen Hook in ages... I was thinking more along the lines of 'Boo!' like the ghosts from Casper - surely the Ghostly Trio say it in one of those movies, or some ghost from one of the cartoons does.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Hook' is too obscure IMO but I must re-watch it sometime.

Here is a clip showing the removal of Patty's 'You get a car!" Oprah reference...

(Password: fanedit.org)

Luckily using a couple of bits from the outtakes real, some re-grading and a little SoundFX replacement I could get rid of it. I want to remove all pop-culture references like this, unless they are...

A: 100% not removeable for continuity reasons (Such as the "ghost" recording I'm trying to re-dub), or...
B: Actually a proper joke that is structured  and integrated into the character/plot (Such as the "ghost" recording)

"Hey, does everybody remember that thing?" isn't a joke, it's just a reference.

Here is the original for comparison...

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Hook' is too obscure IMO but I must re-watch it sometime.

Just to be sure - I wasn't suggesting using a line from Hook, I was just suggesting having the recording be someone yelling 'Boo!' like a cartoon ghost would.

Luckily using a couple of bits from the outtakes real, some re-grading and a little SoundFX replacement I could get rid of it. I want to remove all pop-culture references like this, unless they are...

A: 100% not removable for continuity reasons (Such as the "ghost" recording I'm trying to re-dub), or...

B: Actually a proper joke that is structured and integrated into the character/plot (Such as the "ghost" recording)

Technically, the ghost recording originally isn't a pop culture reference originally though, it's a fanny-fart joke, so it's not the best example of trying to remove pop-culture references - in fact you've turned it into a pop culture reference through re-dubbing!  :p

(Unless there is a pop culture joke buried in there originally as well...)

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You've called it Ghostbusters 3, are you planning on integrating anything from the previous 2 films into this? Would you make this into more of a sequel/soft-reboot as opposed to just a remake?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
coinilius said:
Technically, the ghost recording originally isn't a pop culture reference... you've turned it into a pop culture reference through re-dubbing!

Yes I know, that's exactly what I was saying. The tape machine gag is both 100% not removable (see Abby's hat continuity) and is a joke that springs from character and plot. It tells us something about the relationship between Abby and Holtzman, between them and Erin and about Erin because she secretly wants to believe them despite all her previous indications to the contrary.

Zamros said:
You've called it Ghostbusters 3, are you planning on integrating anything from the previous 2 films into this? Would you make this into more of a sequel/soft-reboot as opposed to just a remake?

No. It's just a fun fanedit title. I may not even add a "3" into the body of the film. I haven't decided.

One thing I don't think I mentioned was that most of the footage of Rowan from the first half has been removed. This way he doesn't detract from the GB's origin story and stays a bit more mysterious and menacing. He'll only appear briefly in (I think) 3 short scenes before the Ghostbusters catch up with him (The Subway, the Metal show and at a cafe). Here is my take on his 2nd scene...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Removed a few lines in the alley
- Massively toned/trimmed down Abby flying all over the place
- Replaced the generic stock-metal music, with a genius Metal take on the GB's theme (See below)

12795_1249504517.jpg

^ Do check this guy's channel out, it's awesome! Some other great tracks I've been digging...

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, the way you worded it I read it as suggesting that the original version of the EVP gag was a pop culture reference  :cool: 

That metal version of the Ghostbusters theme is pretty cool!

SpectacularSMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the Rick Roll idea, and I would definitely keep it as the beginning of the song with the drum part. That drum roll is the very essence of Rick Roll. One thing I'd say though is the song sounds too clean, as if its just coming on as a song as a part of the movie, rather than in the movie. I'd say maybe there is a little more audio effects that could be done on the song to make it sound more like it is coming from the machine.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just don't find Rick rolling that funny, it's a nine year old internet joke at this point and isn't really connected to anything in the movie. I'd go for something with broad recognition that isn't overused and is connected somehow to the ghost theme.

vernequeneto

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Addams Family and Ghost theme idea are great too. Maybe also the Halloween theme, The Ring's "Seven Days" or even "Here's Johnny!" from The Shinning would be nice too, if you wanna go for the horror genre idea.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually like the fart joke.
The "from the front" tries to milk it too much though and falls flat, imo.
Why not just the fart?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I just don't find Rick rolling that funny, it's a nine year old internet joke at this point and isn't really connected to anything in the movie.

I know but it's a step up from fart gags... it's difficult to step down from that to be honest ;) . That being said, in the hands of the right comedians it can be the highest form of wit...

I'm going to keep trying to think of something better and ghost themed while I work on the rest of the edit. I'm currently working on the first drive to the Metal concert. I've realised that I need to replace the entire soundtrack for that sequence, as the music is all over over the center channel and none of it is useable. It'll take a bit of work but will be worth it.

vernequeneto said:
"Here's Johnny!" from The Shinning would be nice too

I already discounted that because it's a reference to something that was already a reference from a movie... which is getting a bit meta. However, thinking about it maybe one of the weird lines between Jack, the bartender or the Grady could work?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I already discounted that because it's a reference to something that was already a reference from a movie... which is getting a bit meta. However, thinking about it maybe one of the weird lines between Jack, the bartender or the Grady could work?

I think the Shining is the best horror film ever made, but if you go into quotes from that conversation you'll have the same issue you did before, sadly. Maybe this is also sad but I think although everybody I know is familiar with "Here's Johnny" from the Shining, maybe half of them even know that it's a reference to something else.

Also, can we stop calling the original a fart joke? It's not; it's a queef joke.

Top Bottom