• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Ghostbusters 3 (TM2YC edit of 2016 Film)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
30636550296_3a5edff5d8_o.jpg

With the UK blu-ray finally coming out earlier this week, I can begin properly working on my planned fanedit of 'Ghostbusters 2016'.

From my ideas thread...

I feel GB16 is a film whose flaws are pretty much entirely down to the editing choices and not the quality of the material, or performers. So with the extended cut, even more deleted scenes and gag-reel material too, the options are endless. It should be fun to edit.

It's got the potential to be a terrific comedy caper with some simple trims. My plan in short, is too remove the jokes and so make it funnier. So removing the improv stuff that goes on for too long, goes off script, or goes off character and of course when it undercuts tension, or emotion. I've got a clear idea what I want to do but not not a detailed plan because it depends on what is possible in the edit.

The obvious title "Ghostbusters 3" springs to mind for the project, although I'm not sure if I'm going to change the title within the edit itself yet.

After all the VisFX, SoundFX replacement, rescoring and grading I did on my recent Star Trek edit, I'm planning on doing none of those things here for a change of pace. It's just gonna be a simple crossfades-only fanedit, so shouldn't take me too long to finish. In fact I've already got a rough cut together of the first three quarters.

However, here is a test clip featuring rescoring and grading (So I'm breaking those rules already ;) )...

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Removed improv jokes not relevant to the subject of the scene (Erin being humiliated)
- Rescoring
- Added shot from outtakes compilation (graded to match)
- Removed excessive dancing and silliness

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome. I liked your original list of ideas a while back.   Have you figured out how to reintegrate the ending that's buried in the credits?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Chim Richalds said:
Awesome. I liked your original list of ideas a while back.   Have you figured out how to reintegrate the ending that's buried in the credits?

The original, original list I did right after leaving the cinema? Some of those ideas proved to not be possible, or desirable. The ending is already integrated in the extended-cut.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would love to see the whole movie graded with just a bit less vibrancy. It feels cartoony at times.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
Would love to see the whole movie graded with just a bit less vibrancy. It feels cartoony at times.

I might do that as a very general saturation tweak but we'll see, I don't want to get into a fullscale regrade. I don't mind the grade of GB16 too much anyway.

Here is another short 33 second clip illustrating how this fanedit will work. First is the unedited clip, then my version...

So now the dark humour from Holtzman is given a pause to land without Abby improving a line all over it. The whole edit is going to be kinda "less is more" in terms jokes.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a nice improvement. That makes Holtzmann's line at the end land much better. Editing for comedic timing is really hard so kudos. Just enough without hanging too long (a complaint I have with a lot of modern comedies at times).

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]
The original, original list I did right after leaving the cinema? Some of those ideas proved to not be possible, or desirable. The ending is already integrated in the extended-cut.[/font]
Yes, that original. I feel like you'd mentioned getting the rooftop scene out of the credits and just tacked onto the end pre-credits.  Saw the extended a few Weeks ago and thought I remembered it still being after the credits start. Maybe impossible anyway. 

That being said, the above clip is definitely a small cut with a big payoff!

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking forward to seeing more of this - like I said in TheFanEditors thread, there is a lot to work with between the theatrical edition, extended edition, alternate takes, gag reels etc, and there's also a lot of stuff that can be cut from the movie as well.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Chim Richalds said:
I feel like you'd mentioned getting the rooftop scene out of the credits and just tacked onto the end pre-credits.

Oh right. Yeah I've thought about rejigging the end and that rooftop scene but I haven't got to that bit yet.

Here ia another little change. This 6-second clip was originally two 3-second clips and I've just glued them back together. In the original movie another 7-second sequence is inserted in the middle, that didn't entirely match continuity wise.

Oh and which of these two jokes is best...?

I thinking the second one but I was worried that a reference to...

Night of the Living Dead

...was too obscure a movie quote, or am I wrong? Does literally everybody get where this line is from?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clip 1: good joke, broader appeal
Clip 2: better joke, narrower appeal

I'm sure everybody here gets it but there's a zero percent chance my wife will, for example. Horror is a big blind spot for some people. If it were me, I'd try to quantify it. The second joke is 30% better, but it goes from landing with 100% of people to probably 40% of average folks (sad but true). But probably 75% of its actual audience, so I'd use it because to me, it's "worth" it. Of course, I just made literally all these numbers up, so grain of salt. :)

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd use the same reasoning as cuddly ninja but with a different outcome (same hard stats though).  I'd go with the Rick roll... Makes sense they'd have jams on reel to reel given the El debarge anyway. But I'd start it on the chorus like the Rick rolls do. 

Probably already a dated concept but the song will be recognizable for years. 

Speaking of songs, if you can rid the film of the Fall Out Boy cover, you'd be doing the world a great service.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The second one doesn't sound funny at all, given that I haven't seen the film it's from. It actually SOUNDS like a ghostly voice, and therefore their reaction doesn't work... for those who haven't seen the film.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer the second one, but the volume is a bit loud.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. This...

dangermouse said:
The second one doesn't sound funny at all, given that I haven't seen the film it's from.

...is as I feared. Funny for those that know the movie but a total dud for everyone else (Probably the majority).

Dr. Chim Richalds said:
I'd start it on the chorus like the Rick rolls do. 

Examples please? The ones I'm looking at start at the beginning... that's how I always thought it was. btw, damn but it's still a great song.

dangermouse said:
rid the film of the Fall Out Boy cover, you'd be doing the world a great service.

I've already replaced it in my timeline with the original classic (A vocal and instrumental mix I made) and recut the footage to match... but I need to make sure I can replace the SoundFX before I'm 100% sure it'll work.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer the first even though I recognized the second.

With that said, if it were me, I'd edit for myself first and so I'd go with what I enjoyed most, rather than what more people would enjoy.  Especially because it's just a throwaway joke and not central to the story.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I kind of prefer the first one, oddly enough - I think it fits better with the delivery. Having said that, a version using
a Deadite voice screeching "I'll swallow your soul!"
could also work in the same way as the second clip.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Dr. Chim Richalds said:
I feel like you'd mentioned getting the rooftop scene out of the credits and just tacked onto the end pre-credits.

Oh right. Yeah I've thought about rejigging the end and that rooftop scene but I haven't got to that bit yet.

Here ia another little change. This 6-second clip was originally two 3-second clips and I've just glued them back together. In the original movie another 7-second sequence is inserted in the middle, that didn't entirely match continuity wise.

Nice. It's always fun to see a when a take has actually just had another shot inserted into it with no frames removed.

Random side note, this location is a spot on my university's campus (in Boston, not New York!).

Oh and which of these two jokes is best...?

I thinking the second one but I was worried that a reference to...

Night of the Living Dead

...was too obscure a movie quote, or am I wrong? Does literally everybody get where this line is from?

I've seen NOTLD and I still think the first is funnier

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Go with the first one

This whole movie was a rickroll

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Examples please? The ones I'm looking at start at the beginning... that's how I always thought it was. btw, damn but it's still a great song[/font]

Yeah, so there's a big gap between what I thought I remembered from the rickroll era and what they were -  you're right, they start at the beginning.

Top Bottom