• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Ghostbusters 3 (TM2YC edit of 2016 Film)

TM2YC said:
What member of the GB16 team thought it would be a good idea to have the film frame rotate during one shot? Needless to say, I've un-rotated it for this fanedit.

I didn't even notice that they did that!  They do a few things with the frame, like having the proton streams extend out past the frame.  I'm guessing this was more of the same, to try and mimic the movement of the shot or something... still not a very good idea though.

Another EVP redub...

What I like about this one is that it feels right for the characters and their age group, that they would appreciate a Patrick Swayze/Ghost joke. In fact, there is another scene in the movie (That I think I've deleted) where Erin and Abby reminisce about Swayze movies.

I think it's great. But I'm biased.
addiesin said:
The theme song from Ghost with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze.

I forgot to mention it was your idea. Oops and thanks.

To be fair, I took the monkey-with-a-typewriter approach with the ideas. I'm glad you liked one.  
:)

I like it, but the "gimme a wedgie" line requires a less sophisticated joke, methinks? ie I think the scene works until she says what's next gimme a wedgie.

dangermouse said:
I like it, but the "gimme a wedgie" line requires a less sophisticated joke, methinks? ie I think the scene works until she says what's next gimme a wedgie.

Perhaps but the wedgie line is then developed in the next line to comment about Erin being uptight, so it works fine in the context of the whole scene IMO.

I agree with dangermouse, the wedgie line feels a bit out of place. Maybe trim the preceding line to "cool joke, that was funny"?

Also, this may be just me, but I haven't seen Ghost in probably over a decade, so I had no idea what the specific joke was in that clip until I read the comments afterwards. I think it still works for the characters, but I thought I'd mention it since you were asking if a NOTLD line would be too obscure a punchline.

That One Guy said:
I agree with dangermouse, the wedgie line feels a bit out of place. Maybe trim the preceding line to "cool joke, that was funny"?

Like I say above, the wedgie line develops into something else so is not removable. Besides I like the Ghost joke and I'm reasonably sure I'm going to go with it.

Here is a line I redubbed from the end of the movie...

Only joking, it's never going to sound good enough but it gave me a giggle to try.

The Ghost joke doesn't work for me. Just saw the film a few months ago too and didn't immediately recognize it. It's your call obviously but I don't think it quite does it.

The NOTLD version works best for me, I actually think that's quite inspired, but I'm a big horror fan so I'm biased in that respect.
It's actually a tough call. They they all work and I got all the references first time, but which one works best is a very individual thing, I think, depending on what your generation is.
It's a choice that I'd have to defer to the editor on. Whatever TM2YC thinks is best I would agree with, ultimately. Not much help really, but when taken out of context this is a gag that you could make work with almost anything

I'm taking Frink's sage advice from page2 of this thread...

TVs Frink said:
if it were me, I'd edit for myself first and so I'd go with what I enjoyed most... it's just a throwaway joke and not central to the story.

...and I'm sticking with 'Unchained Melody' from 'Ghost' (Sorry to those who don't dig it). It makes me chuckle and it's a joke that's actually appropriate to the characters (unlike anything else I could come up with). It also feels quite a lighthearted prank to play on a former friend... plus it literally is a "Ghost" recording :D . Credit to addiesin at the end of the edit.

I've just rendered the "finished" edit. It's clocking in at 1hr49mins, which is 25mins shorter than the 'Extended Edition' (I'm not sure of the exact amount of trims and deleted material though). Here is a timeline screen-grab for those (like me) who are interested in seeing that sort of thing...

31030426530_f20077fe74_o.jpg

Next I'll give it a watch and if it sounds/looks okay, I might release it next weekend. If I can get the artwork, cutlist and upload sorted by then.

Funny that you took my advice because I'm not a fan of the Ghost joke either...but I stand by my advice!

Have you done anything different from the theatrical version with Bill Murray's character? 

Does the extended cut of the film do anything more with him, for that matter? I still need to get that so the wife and I can watch it and prime up for this edit. We've only watched the theatrical so far but I understand they're slightly significantly different cuts. 

If you don't feel like getting into the second question, that's cool, I realize it's not specific to the edit.

addiesin said:
Have you done anything different from the theatrical version with Bill Murray's character? 

Yes. Bill is now playing the role of Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Fanedit.

All the other cameos are partly, or entirely retained as they were fun and it looked like the actors were having fun. Bill's two scenes were almost painful to watch, he looks just miserable. They have zero impact on the plot beyond telling us that "Erin is insecure", which is adequately established throughout the rest of the movie innumerable times. Also Erin releasing the Ghost they just caught makes her look like a dumb ass (Naturally said Ghost does not now reappear during the final act).

addiesin said:
Does the extended cut of the film do anything more with him, for that matter? I still need to get that so the wife and I can watch it and prime up for this edit. We've only watched the theatrical so far but I understand they're slightly significantly different cuts.

www.movie-censorship.com has the usual exhaustive breakdown of the differences and no not really any difference.

After a watch through, I've made a list of 10 or more small tweaks I wanna do. This was one of them...

I was on the fence but finally decided to put "III" into the film's title. Okay this is a remake, so it kinda makes no sense but what the hell, it's more fun this way.

I'm biased but I think this is now a properly good movie. With 90% of the jokes removed, it really made me laugh ;) .

I was hoping the logo would come in at some point.

Really nice! It did give another feeling to the movie. Eager to see the full edit.  :D

Glad you went with the III, this sounds like a great change from the mess that was in theaters

Back
Top Bottom