• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Ghostbusters (2016)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes. Because they're making bridesmaids in proton packs.

That and they're making another Ghostbusters but this time without any of the characters or writers or crew of the original.

It's a name brand cash in and is destined to be ass.

Murray is down because he doesn't have to take part which he's always been reluctant to make GB3

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last time they used the crew of the original it sucked. Now half the crew is out (Ramis dead, Murray unwilling) and the other half is old and frankly not as good without them.

Ghostbusters is an idea with a lot of potential. Limiting it to the original cast is wasting that potential. I'm glad to see they're finally doing something with it and that they have an accomplished comedic director attached.

And to address what might be the biggest point in contention, yes, I am glad they are doing a female cast. Why not? There are plenty of fantastic comedic female talents out there. Why not use them? Hopefully with new characters we'll get something truly new and not just another remake like Ghostbusters 2.

My two cents.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! No Kristen Wiig or Melissa McCarthy! I can't stress that enough.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My thoughts... No matter what the cast, GB3 has no chance of being better, or even close to GB1. Just ain't happening. At this point a reboot is the logical choice, but man oh man reboots tend to suck. Ok, Paul Feig is gonna write/direct; I really didn't enjoy Bridesmaids and I skipped The Heat. I hope he uses this opportunity to rise above the dumb potty humor and tell a kickass Ghostbusters story. Who cares if the cast is male or female. I'm more worried about the storytelling and tone of humor.

But hey, they're finally making Ghostbusters 3, and I'll probably go see it if it looks decent.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would not mind an all female cast with a story that looks like Ghostbusters. Just don't call it Ghostbusters.
This look like if someone bought the rights of the franchise in order to make a plagiat.
Stand proud, make an assumed plagiat! No one would mind at this point. If the movie is good it would be a success either the word Ghostbusters is on the poster or not.
Cowards.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Ghostbusters, it is a staple of my childhood but I'm on board with the idea of a reboot because it's been such a long time and I actually really enjoyed both Bridesmaids and The Heat. It's to the point now that I realize that nothing I hold sacred from my childhood will ever stay that way, so I might as well try and embrace it.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I skipped both The Heat and Bridesmaids for (partially) the same reason: Melissa McCarthy. She was okay in Mike & Molly but I can already see this is going to be one of two types of actresses: she either grabs everything in her reach and becomes a female Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider before the day is over, or she's going to fall into typecasting, and becomes a female Ad... well... yeah.

And the worst part of The Heat was the fact that they teamed her up with Sandra Bullock. It's as if the director went out of his way to get Sandra Bullock in this because she was so damn funny in Miss Congeniality, and O-M-G wouldn't it be even more funny if she had to play the exact opposite of that, and Melissa was the shemale cop instead? *sigh*

I'm open to an all-female Ghostbusters cast, but I'd rather they didn't label it as such (Ghostbusters 3). And I sincerely hope they make a proper comedy out of this, with comedy the likes of The Naked Gun, the original Ghostbusters, or other classic comedy, and NOT the comedy that goes round nowadays, which is basically all about people running into things, hurting themselves, piss and fart jokes, and the rest of the ridiculously bad bag of scarymovie-epicmovie-etcetera 'jokes'.

I'm game, but something tells me this is going to fail.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
I skipped both The Heat and Bridesmaids for (partially) the same reason: Melissa McCarthy. She was okay in Mike & Molly but I can already see this is going to be one of two types of actresses: she either grabs everything in her reach and becomes a female Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider before the day is over, or she's going to fall into typecasting, and becomes a female Ad... well... yeah.

Don't forget "Identity Thief" and "Tammy", both of which I've also skipped. I did enjoy "The Heat", but because of Sandra Bullock. I don't mind her on Mike & Molly, but in everything else she appears to be the same type of character. She seems to be playing a normal character in the new Bill Murray movie St. Vincent though. I know technically she's co-starring with him but I refuse to call it her movie when her co-star is Bill Murray. I really hope they get Bill Murray to host SNL when that movie comes out and not Melissa McCarthy again, for the third year in a row. You want to see SNL at its worse? Check out Melissa McCarthy's two hosted episodes.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Don't forget "Identity Thief" and "Tammy", both of which I've also skipped.
Absolutely! I even forgot about those (for obvious reasons). I saw the trailers, and I thought 'here we go again, same annyoing character all over again'. The only thing that changes is her outfit...

I suppose if her performance in St. Vincent is any good, it's probably because of the director having a very specific idea of what she should do. I saw the trailer, Murray was excellent :) Does have me looking out for it, but just for Murray. It's apparently Ted Melfi's first feature film. I hope it works out.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm cool with gender swapping the cast, that itself would not make this a good or bad film.

But the fact that they want to reboot it puts a really bad taste in my mouth.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's very tricky.
Even if the girls would be the daughters of the original cast... I would still not like it a lot (even if they'd be their sons by the way)... but at least it would "worths" the title of Ghostbusters, somehow.
Rebooting the whole thing without any links to the previous movies just looks like a plagiat with the right to put the original name on it.
But...
Will the girls have the same last names as the original team? Will they have the same profession and purpose in the movie? If this is the case... Well, maybe it's okay. It would be a real Ghostbusters reboot with girls. Not very original but why not, if the movie is good. I think I'd prefer a girl in the role of Venkman (Funny, chasing guys, etc..) to an actor trying to emulate Bill Murray. Fair enough.
What I don't want is a movie that have nothing to do with the original Ghostbusters except the name on the poster. And for now I'm afraid it's what they are doing.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Absolutely! I even forgot about those (for obvious reasons). I saw the trailers, and I thought 'here we go again, same annyoing character all over again'. The only thing that changes is her outfit...

I suppose if her performance in St. Vincent is any good, it's probably because of the director having a very specific idea of what she should do. I saw the trailer, Murray was excellent :) Does have me looking out for it, but just for Murray. It's apparently Ted Melfi's first feature film. I hope it works out.

Just her name attached to a project has me cringing. When I saw the trailer for St. Vincent I was excited for a new Bill Murray movie. But when she showed up I just about yelled out "Aw fuck!" in the movie theater. :lol:

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw James Gunn defending the reboot, but I don't know if he's attached, I kind of hope he is because that's about the only glimmer of hope I have.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Just her name attached to a project has me cringing. When I saw the trailer for St. Vincent I was excited for a new Bill Murray movie. But when she showed up I just about yelled out "Aw fuck!" in the movie theater. :lol:

How much I wanted to have seen that :p If anyone did that in the theater I was in, I'd laugh til my sides split :lol:

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kind of a long video but very relevant to this thread.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
But hey, they're finally making Ghostbusters 3, and I'll probably go see it if it looks decent.

Decent!

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
I saw James Gunn defending the reboot, but I don't know if he's attached, I kind of hope he is because that's about the only glimmer of hope I have.

The director is Paul Feig, who directed Bridesmaids and The Heat. So yeah, not looking great already in terms of Melissa McCarthy's involvement. Hopefully they'll get either Tina Fey and/or Amy Poehler to help balance things out.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A far as I'm concerned, the game was the 3rd movie. Shame they couldn't get Moranis or Weaver, but they got just about everyone else including Max Von Sydow and William Atherton.

Top Bottom