• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead: Extended Mall Hours Cut

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATES BELOW!

Well, while my 30 Days of Night project won't be around for roughly 3 months (got a while before the official DVD comes out), I figured I might as well start posting info on a project that I already started on. In short, it's an extended composite print of George A. Romero's original Dawn of the Dead, using all footage from both the extended Cannes cut and Argento's European cut (the theatrical cut, despite what I originally thought, didn't have any exclusive "snippets" missing from the other two cuts).

I know this idea isn't exactly new (the infamous German DVD already has a cut like this, but it's only in German and in crap quality), but I think this will be the first time it's done somewhat professionally. I read somewhere that someone tried this, but I think they gave up as no more news came about. Anyway, I went through both cuts very carefully, and tried to find all of the small snippets from Argento's cut and put them into the extended cut. The result is a cut of the film that is approximately 155 minutes in length. Sure, there might've been a couple of second-or-two long shots that might've snuck out, but I think, for the most part, that I've put together everything I can find.

I'm making it sound like the project is finished... well, not quite. While the editing is done, I still need to render the MPEG-2 file. From this point I'm going to create both a dual layer DVD and a single layer DVD. This way people have a choice in quality rather than being forced to watch only a compressed version. Plus I'm contemplating actually adding any extras to this already big-ass disc, like a trailer/tv spot/radio spot gallery. If anything, I'd at least like to add a fan-made trailer for the extended cut.

Also, I'd like to add that I already think Romero's 126 min cut is the best, but it's always interesting to see a "what if" extended cut of a movie. Anyway, more news to come!

UPDATE! (1-6-2008): Teaser trailer has been posted!
http://rapidshare.com/files/81860887/DOTDteaser.mpg

UPDATE 2! (1-8-2008): Menus montage video posted!
http://rapidshare.com/files/82132723/DOTDmenusmontage.mpg

UPDATE 3! (1-11-2008): Cover art sample is up for all to check out! Click the pic!

Plus, here is the 3D cover and disc art:

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now this will be DAMN cool,cannot get enough of Romero's Dead movies,sounds great,keep us posted when you will release it.

by the way,how will you be releaseing it?

thanks again

DJ

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to go "the way of Rapidshare" and upload the RAR files. I've gotten impatient with Torrents. Then again, if someone downloads the RAR files and decides to upload it as a torrent, be my guest :lol:

LeoneNut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually attempted doing this a few months back, but ran into difficulties with the different music soundtracks and extra dialogue. Only got 10 minutes into it, before putting it to one side. I wanted the 126 min cut's music, but it doesn't seem to work out :?

Would love to see what you do with his :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pretty cool project.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
would love to get my hands on this, best of luck with your project

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LeoneNut said:
I actually attempted doing this a few months back, but ran into difficulties with the different music soundtracks and extra dialogue. Only got 10 minutes into it, before putting it to one side. I wanted the 126 min cut's music, but it doesn't seem to work out :?

Would love to see what you do with his :)

Yeah, I won't lie, the music was a BIG pain in the ass. Some cases I just had to make do and make edits as subtle as possible without things seeming disruptive. In many cases I tried my best to use the theatrical cut's score, but some scenes which had a lot of small extra snippets (the apartment raid and the finale mall raid), I had to make do with the Goblin music. I'm going to try to render the first MPEG-2 file in a few days so I can watch the entire film in one go rather than in bits and pieces. This way I can really see how well the music flows. From there I can make additional adjustments.

Thanks to everyone who's supporting this project! I've thought about doing it for quite a while, then I just started working on it on a whim! Oh yeah... MERRY CHRISTMAS! (He says, pulling himself away from the 5-disc edition of Blade Runner... :lol: )

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I made the first render of the project a couple of days back... woof, a lot of tweaking left to go. Because of some glitches, there were "sneaking frames" that popped up in between shots whenever there was a change of sources (from "Cannes Cut" to "Argento Cut" and vice versa). Plus, there are some audio syncing issues I need to take care of as well. Hopefully the movie itself will be complete by the end of next week. From this point I'll need to put together DVD menus, the cover, etc. I'll keep everyone up to date!

P.S.: Amidst the tweaks, I decided to add a film-buff-favorite sound effect in one shot of the movie... I'm sure someone can guess what sound it is :D

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my money's on something from Star Wars

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
Wilhelm scream?

You got it... I know, that was too easy :lol:

There's a shot in the movie during the beginning apartment raid sequence in which the leader of the attackers, Martinez, runs out (despite one of our heroes, Roger, screaming "Don't go out there!"), gets shot, and falls off the building. I used this point as a marker for switching audio sources from the Cannes cut to the Argento cut. However, in the Argento cut, Martinez doesn't scream when he falls. This being said, for shits and giggles, I decided to add in the famous Wilhelm Scream. Works pretty well actually! I'll post a video clip soon.

Normally I wouldn't add something like this, but I figured it'd be passable for a project like this... just don't expect it in any preservation projects :p

BrickParade

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one looks really neat, looking forward to it!

Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorite flicks, though I've only seen the 126 minute cut. Good luck with this one!

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks! It's been over ten years since I first saw DOTD... when I just turned 11 :lol: Since then I've bought the DVDs, met the cast... ALMOST met Romero (might get the chance again in March)... it's just one of my favorite films. So to do an "everything AND the kitchen sink" version is an interesting project, almost like a glorified workprint.

Anyway, aside from that tangent, I've currently tweaked the first half of this cut (at 77 min so far, literally the halfway point!), fixing frame flickers and audio issues... one more half to go! Stay tuned!

RADiX

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I was one that was working towards doing this over this last year, but real life has kicked in for me so nothings been done for a couple of months. you can read up about my progress here. and over at OT

http://www.itservices.ukfsn.org/?cat=6

Good luck with it OfficiallyUnofficial!!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RADIX! It's been a long time. I missed you here.

OfficiallyUnofficial

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RADiX said:
Well I was one that was working towards doing this over this last year, but real life has kicked in for me so nothings been done for a couple of months. you can read up about my progress here. and over at OT

Thanks! This has been a tough project, but it's coming along nicely. I'm nearing the end of the A/V tweaks, so hopefully I can put together the DVD work soon!

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OfficiallyUnofficial said:
RADiX said:

Thanks! This has been a tough project, but it's coming along nicely. I'm nearing the end of the A/V tweaks, so hopefully I can put together the DVD work soon!

great looking forward to seeing this.

Top Bottom