• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Gemini's Start to Finish HD Conversion, Editing, & Authoring Guide

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that's weird. It's the exact script I used in hcenc.

The error shows up in the queue. It says "error."

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The error might be something to do with MeGUI rather than the script. I assume that you have corrected the file-path. Try opening your new script in HCenc (yes, the HD one) and seeing if you can encode with it. If you can, the error is not with the script.

MeGUI has a log tab that you can look at. It should give you more details. Of course, you should make sure that you are running the latest version of MeGUI and that all the components are up to date.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, fixed the path, used the HD script, and made sure MeGUI is up to date. Still no worky.

Here's the error log:

capturentb.png

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd guess that the part that mentions the 64-bit version of x264 is the problem. If you are using the 32-bit version of Avisynth, which you almost certainly are, then you can't use the 64-bit version of x264: you need to use the 32-bit version.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You need to look in MeGUI's settings. Try going to Options-->Settings-->External Program Configuration and uncheck X264: enable 64 bit mode. Then retry,

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Retried. It fixed that error in the log, but still no worky. Here's the log:

captureoxk.png

If I read this right, the problem might be the "--program" at the very start of the custom command line. Gem's guide just says "program." I tried to fix it, but suddenly there doesn't seem to be the tab where you enter the custom commands.

capturepz.PNG

Tried restarting MeGUI, still no other tabs. :(

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Go back and select x264 scratchpad. Then hit config. Click Show Advanced Settings in the main tab of the configuration dialog and you should see the other tabs.

EDIT: PM sent.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, tabs are back. But I can't get rid of "--program" because I save it as "program" and it adds the "--" on its own. I'm not even sure if that's really the problem but if it is, I can't seem to fix it.

Note the circled on the screen shot:

capturennsd.png

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
also, make sure you open MeGUI with the run as administrator command (right click on shortcut...) I have had some bugs with it in the past, and I believe that helped me get around any problems.

Stygma Raptor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got one doubt.

Ok so after finishing editing the movie. To what kind of format and to what specific specs should I convert in order to preserve the HD of my blu ray ripped edit?
So far all the conversions to MOV that I have done look extremely pixelized :(

I am using Final Cut Pro 7.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is easy to troubleshoot the custom command line. Just delete everything from it and use the GUI to manually set the settings. The custom command line was just a convenience thing for you.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stygma Raptor said:
I got one doubt.

Ok so after finishing editing the movie. To what kind of format and to what specific specs should I convert in order to preserve the HD of my blu ray ripped edit?
So far all the conversions to MOV that I have done look extremely pixelized :(

I am using Final Cut Pro 7.

Your workflow unfortunately got botched all the way back at the beginning when you converted the blu-ray video to .MOV. I believe there is an Apple workflow guide somewhere here that may be more instructive than this thread about ripping the blu-ray and preparing it for editing. Unfortunately the format us PC folk use called Lagarith isn't an option for you.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
It is easy to troubleshoot the custom command line. Just delete everything from it and use the GUI to manually set the settings. The custom command line was just a convenience thing for you.

Yes, already done. The AVCHD is finished and looking good. :)

Morgolking

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great thread! Very helpful, thank you so much for creating it.

I understand that going through this workflow there will be some video/audio quality loss -- is the loss negligible or can it really be seen or heard?

I was told the best way to edit losslessly is to simply rip the blu-ray through makemkv and edit without converting or reencoding the video/audio files, but I'm still working on finding a way to do that.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Morgolking said:
Great thread! Very helpful, thank you so much for creating it.

I understand that going through this workflow there will be some video/audio quality loss -- is the loss negligible or can it really be seen or heard?

I was told the best way to edit losslessly is to simply rip the blu-ray through makemkv and edit without converting or reencoding the video/audio files, but I'm still working on finding a way to do that.

Review the part of the thread that talks about lossless video and audio formats that are mostly just used for editing vs. lossy viewing formats that comprises pretty much anything digital that you have ever seen or heard, including Blu-ray.

So in answer to your question, yes the loss is negligible if done properly. The whole point of the thread is to help people achieve the highest possible quality results.

The only other path that might yield comparable or negligibly superior results (with DVD only I think??) is there are some programs like Womble that can be used for basic cut and paste editing. They don't do any video recoding but just stitch the scenes together. You are very limited in what you can do and you still have the audio to deal with. Some great edits have been made this way, but I would never recommend it to anybody even if you just want to make a DVD only edit because you can still make a way higher quality DVD edit by recoding from a Blu-ray following the process I have outlined.

Bottom line: Anything digital is just bits of data. The real question to ask when changing formats is are all those bits being preserved or are some being thrown out? Some codecs preserve while others throw out. The key starting point for any new editor is to learn about the pros and cons of the major video and audio codecs used.

Morgolking

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you. I really appreciate the time you took to reply to my post. Very excited to start this new hobby of mine. It's great to have experience mentors like you.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For blu-ray authoring in DVDarchitect, I would like to recommend changing:

"--vbv-maxrate 40000"

to

"--vbv-maxrate 38000"

When using your settings, or Captain Khajiit's settings in the other thread, DVDarchitect would always want to recompress my video tracks. No combination of open/closed gop, bpyramid, weightp, etc made any difference. BUT lowering this maxrate by a marginal amount made it work with any combination of those other settings.

My very poor guess as to why this may be the case is that if the video alone is using the maxbitrate, then once DVDarchitect adds in the audio, the new video/audio combination may exceed the bluray spec limit. So this lowers the max by an amount that allows the audio to be added in, and still remain below the 40k limit.

Whether this is intended, a bug, a coincidence, or I'm just completely wrong, I cannot say.

But it works. DVDarchitect does not require recompressing the video track with this lower vbv-maxrate.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been poring over threads trying to find answers, forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I'm preparing to render out my first surround edit. I've come to realize I have a lot of remedial learning to do in understanding the nitty gritty of all of this, and my next one will be more involved, but this one didn't have any big audio work to do, so I haven't had to do any real re-construction or anything. So I'm preparing to render the audio as AC-3 Pro.

Two things:

1. My understanding is that generally the way Dolby works, I don't particularly need to do a separate, special stereo track for stereo play, as there's a certain amount of decent automatic downmixing capability built in to the decoder on most players. Is this accurate?

2. Is there any fiddling I should do to the settings, or are the defaults usually sound?

Thanks!

Top Bottom