• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Game to movie?

apple_jackson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought this would be a whole category, but I only found one fanedit turning a game into a movie (actually a TV series).

Final Fantasy X as three episodes of a half-hour TV series:

Are there more like this?

With the new Resident Evil series on Netflix, I bet a lot of people are thinking about trying it.

You'd think there would be one of the Metal Gear games, at minimum. Is it just too difficult to make those cut scenes work? It is a lot of talking heads in Kojima games. You'd have to cut in gameplay footage, or rig some kind of custom machinima setup for that game--or maybe port the character models into Source Engine or outright render your own 3D in Blender.

You can find lots of people on youtube doing that kind of thing, stringing together game cutscenes. But the end result ends up being not a movie. I have seen several, of all types of narrative-based games, but have not seen one that "works" for me. If everything goes well getting your "footage", you still inevitably end up with at least one of two problems in the edit. 1, you cut gameplay out and end up with story holes. And/or 2, you keep too much gameplay which is instantly recognizable as gameplay, and it feels like what it is, watching someone else play a video game.

Machinima is a whole other topic, and the two have not yet mixed. I haven't seen someone, for example, create their own SFM or Blender scene to bridge the gap where gameplay footage would have been. If they're capable of making convincing, high-quality scenes from scratch, they will likely just do that and not mess with captured footage at all.

You can find lots of people on youtube doing that kind of thing, stringing together game cutscenes. But the end result ends up being not a movie. I have seen several, of all types of narrative-based games, but have not seen one that "works" for me. If everything goes well getting your "footage", you still inevitably end up with at least one of two problems in the edit. 1, you cut gameplay out and end up with story holes. And/or 2, you keep too much gameplay which is instantly recognizable as gameplay, and it feels like what it is, watching someone else play a video game.

Machinima is a whole other topic, and the two have not yet mixed. I haven't seen someone, for example, create their own SFM or Blender scene to bridge the gap where gameplay footage would have been. If they're capable of making convincing, high-quality scenes from scratch, they will likely just do that and not mess with captured footage at all.

I've seen a few game-to-movie videos that were pretty good but none quite worked. These four were all pretty good, but would be vastly improved if machinima was used to fill in the actual gameplay sections that are omitted or played by a live player with annoying missteps and onscreen prompts.

On IFDB there's also one for Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Force Unleashed, and Knights of the Old Republic.
But yeah, there's a bunch on YouTube, including some Metal Gear ones that seem promising. I bring you this Reddit post:
I skimmed the first Metal Gear edit a bit, and I take back what I said about it being promising. I just did some more digging though, and while I can't say for sure without watching the whole thing, this one seems to be the best option:

If you look at the channel, they've done some of the other Metal Gear games, as well as the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series, among others. They seem to really care about condensing the games and making them feel cinematic.

I find that concept of gamemovies highly interesting, some games could really work as a narrative feature length if edited correctly, although I've seen just a few that REALLY work.

This two for instance:

Of course the are not perfect, since gameplay footage are inherently not cinematic. But it's still works as abridged ways to watch a game.
I skimmed the first Metal Gear edit a bit, and I take back what I said about it being promising. I just did some more digging though, and while I can't say for sure without watching the whole thing, this one seems to be the best option:

If you look at the channel, they've done some of the other Metal Gear games, as well as the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series, among others. They seem to really care about condensing the games and making them feel cinematic.
These ones are one of the best that most can find. Those and the Zelda Universe movie fandubs are great. I think the fanedit community could do promising things adapting games into movies. They wouldn't be movies per se, but they would still be entertaining. But as pointed before, just a handful of few managed to hit the mark.

Yeah, I got around to watching through that last Metal Gear Solid one I shared, and it was fantastic. I've started watching through their MGS 2 movie, of which they've done a 3 hour version and a longer 5 hour version split into 3 parts, I opted for the latter. Really great stuff.
With MGS 1, they uses the visuals from the Twin Snakes remake, with the audio of the original version, cutting around some of the worst visual additions (Otacon tripping and falling multiple times, etc.). There's lots of neat creative choices and it all just works well. Unfortunately despite saying that there's no HUD, it's still visible during boss fights, but I'm assuming that there was some technical reason for that. Never really took me out of it. It's the only real flaw I noticed. Another neat thing is that they play codec calls over gameplay sometimes to keep it interesting. All in all I think it's worth checking out.

Yeah, I got around to watching through that last Metal Gear Solid one I shared, and it was fantastic. I've started watching through their MGS 2 movie, of which they've done a 3 hour version and a longer 5 hour version split into 3 parts, I opted for the latter. Really great stuff.
With MGS 1, they uses the visuals from the Twin Snakes remake, with the audio of the original version, cutting around some of the worst visual additions (Otacon tripping and falling multiple times, etc.). There's lots of neat creative choices and it all just works well. Unfortunately despite saying that there's no HUD, it's still visible during boss fights, but I'm assuming that there was some technical reason for that. Never really took me out of it. It's the only real flaw I noticed. Another neat thing is that they play codec calls over gameplay sometimes to keep it interesting. All in all I think it's worth checking out.
You should watch their Resident Evil movies, they are spectacular. I've been fascinated with this phenomenon of gamemovies concomitantly with fanedits (of course the latter is the predominant one ;)), and I really think people should make them right, the idea is really good, but most executions are quite lazy and uneventful. These things are quite possibly never be as cinematic as films, but they work when done thoughtfully, it's a different media, really. It's not like a TV-To-Movie edit, for instance. (what if the IFDb opens a Game-To-Movie section?)

Also, there is this Metal Gear Saga movie, that has all the main Metal Gear games in a 12 hour movie, you should give it a watch in a episodic format (there is some parts that the NES games are turned into short movies, I find that to be compelling/bizarre.)

An official example of game-to-movie:

If only it covered the entire main plot.

There's at least four threads for these kinds of projects, but I figured I'd post on this one since I've already contributed to this thread.

Last night I started working on a Sonic Adventure edit. My goals are to present the story in chronological order across all of the characters, use as little gameplay as possible without leaving any significant gaps in the narrative, and to generally provide a more cinematic experience. I currently have 5 minutes edited that encompasses the first cutscenes from Knuckles, Big, and Sonic's stories (and the first boss from Sonic's). Awkward pauses are minimized, scenes of characters being kinda floaty when falling or being launched are sped up, and everything is reframed to accommodate for the removal of subtitles and HUD elements. I will not currently be addressing the cheesy voice acting or awful lip sync, as some would say that it's part of the game's charm, and I'd like to honor that.

I'm hesitant to make my own thread at the moment, after several times of creating threads for projects that I never finished. I'd rather wait until I'm further along and can say for certain that I'm going to finish it.

[first 5 minutes will be added here once uploaded]

The best thing about this project is that Sega doesn't go after fan works really, and I can get away with posting clips to YouTube without any fear.

Is there a list of games with good free camera tools that can be used during gameplay? Games that fit this criteria along with real-time cutscenes would perhaps fare best for these projects.

Red Dead Redemption 2 would be very cool to see, but would be a TV series worth of editing.

Is there a list of games with good free camera tools that can be used during gameplay? Games that fit this criteria along with real-time cutscenes would perhaps fare best for these projects.

Red Dead Redemption 2 would be very cool to see, but would be a TV series worth of editing.
a TV series worth of RDR and RDR2 without the HUD would be absolutely amazing.

Definitely an interesting concept. I remember watcher the whole 11 hours Death Stranding playthrough—it surely could've used a movie-cut!

I will watch the one posted above, thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom