• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GAME OF THRONES [FILM II]: A Storm of Swords [LOTR]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
8g7KiOi.png
FILM II

Game of Thrones - A Storm of Swords is the second film in my Game of Thrones film series, a high-paced and intensely structured 3 hour epic of the second season, featuring the musical and stylistic structure of the Lord of the Rings movies to create a wholly epic experience. After the immensely positive feedback and encouraging words from fellow faneditors and viewers from both Fanedit.org and OriginalTrilogy.com upon the release of the first entry; A Tale of Kings and Honor, I have now settled on seeing this project through, and it is my wish to create something really unique, inspiring and fresh to the world of fanediting. I hope this future saga can bring just that to the table.​

PROJECT EXPLANATION AND DETAILS
- Project Started: October, 2017.​
- Runtime: (Currently:) 3 hours and 6 minutes.​

The project is ment to have the same structural pace and tone as the Lord of the Rings, while maintaining the story and characters of Game of Thrones, to create a suspenseful, truthful-to-material, one-time adventure in which - instead of watching 10 hours of episodes, you watch one condensed 3-hour long movie with the story fundament of Game of Thrones and the pure adventure and tone of the Lord of the Rings. It will be much easier to watch this with a nay-sayer friend than to ask him to watch 10 hours of episodes with you, as well as to do a Game of Thrones-marathon.

The series' soundtrack is completely removed and replaced with that of Lord of the Rings, using different themes for the different houses (Rohan for the Starks, Gondor for King's Landing, Arwen theme (and later when dragons; Elfs/Rivendell theme) for Daenerys), as well as the entirety of the score of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies where suited.​

Unlike A Tale of Kings and Honor, which settled on a flattering 2 hours and 38 minutes, I soon realized well through the heavy and struggeling parts of editing the first rough cut that this endavour would be well towards a proper, long epic. The amount of traveling and growth for each of the key players is immense, not to mention the inclusion of new characters that has to get a small, but growing voice of their own, and an end-battle that very much resembles Helm's Deep - all earning their spot in the spotlight.​

As of right now, I am about 80% finished on the narrative, and about 60% finished on the techical aspects - aspect ratio cropping, music and new audio mixes.​

THE NARRATIVE: STORY AND CHARACTERS
CHARACTERS WE FOLLOW: Robb Stark, Catelyn Stark, Arya Stark, Jamie Lannister, Tyrion Lannister, Lannisters, Stannis Baratheon and Jon Snow.​

Other main or side characters in season 2 are visited through the presence of our key players that we follow for Film II, such as Sansa Stark, Joffrey Baratheon/Lannister, Cersei Lannister, Renley Baratheon, Gendry, Littlefinger, Varys, Brianne of Tarth etcetc.​

The story for Film II does revolve around escaping the claws that the characters found themselfs in at the end of the last film, often failing to do so, and trying to get to a better and more just place. It's also about the war of the five kings, and how the kingdom is slowly growing more and more violent and shredded. The film ends with all the characters finding themselfs in even worse places than when they first started, leaving a small victory - once again - to the family of the Lannisters, and a growing tension among all the key players.​

Daenerys Targaryen is not featured in the second film entry, A Storm of Swords, due to three main things; 
- her storyline is rather boring and uninventful, with little character growth or narrative expansion.​
- an already filled up narrative, with little to no room for more.​
- the ability to see her in Film III having growned past her previous struggles, and having created friends and oppurtunities for herself during this time period.​

YOUR PART IN THIS STORY
I would LOVE for ideas, suggestions and constructive criticism from my fellow friends here at the fanediting community. This edit is definitely not finished, and there is definitely room for exploration and/or major alterations or additions. I am thrilled to hear from you guys, be it what i just mentioned or just well-wishes. Thank you!​

Jukili

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking very much forward to this!!

Your picture at the top is not working :eek:

SpectacularSMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, Andreas! Glad to see you are keeping up with this project. It is a huge undertaking but if you keep up your quality work this will be my favorite series of edits of all time. I just got done rewatching Kings and Honor the other day (I now have 2 watches under my belt, it is very good) and here is my input as to what I'd like to see out of Storm of Swords.

Characters I'd Like to See More

- Arya. She was really fun in every scene she was in in the first movie, and I liked her being trained with a sword being saved for a reveal. On top of that, I found her subplot to be really fun and I hope to see some of her fantastic conversations with Tywin kept in. The one iconic one in particular really evolves her character.

- Robb. Robb evolved to major player status by the end of your first movie, but I feel like I didn't get much of a sense of his character other than cool big brother (mind you, I felt the same way after watching the first season). I hope to see him get a lot more development in this one and maybe even be the protagonist of the B story. 

- Tyrion. I have full faith you'll do more with him in this one. His plot was cut in the first movie, but I still think he endeared himself to the audience and stole every scene he was in. You could even open with the trial of combat from S1 perhaps (sort of like a Bond/Indiana Jones prologue conflict), that way you can quickly introduce Bronn aswell. If thats not doable though, I understand.

The idea to cut Dany from this season is pretty good. Her plot was very filler and I don't think any of it will play into the endgame of the show anyways. I'd even say maybe one scene of her burning a slaver would be a cool little aside to remind us she's still a player.

Jon's plot was perfectly paced in the last movie, and I have faith you'll continue to nail that. He becomes more of a player in season 3 and 4 anyways. 

Best of luck, Andreas! Here's to hoping for another killer edit and I will help out in any way I can.

P.S. I wouldn't mind you keeping a few songs from the GOT score, as it would fit well with the LOTR stuff. Primarily Rains of Castamere and The Tower.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SpectacularSMan said:
Hello, Andreas! Glad to see you are keeping up with this project. It is a huge undertaking but if you keep up your quality work this will be my favorite series of edits of all time. I just got done rewatching Kings and Honor the other day (I now have 2 watches under my belt, it is very good) and here is my input as to what I'd like to see out of Storm of Swords.

Characters I'd Like to See More

- Arya. She was really fun in every scene she was in in the first movie, and I liked her being trained with a sword being saved for a reveal. On top of that, I found her subplot to be really fun and I hope to see some of her fantastic conversations with Tywin kept in. The one iconic one in particular really evolves her character.

- Robb. Robb evolved to major player status by the end of your first movie, but I feel like I didn't get much of a sense of his character other than cool big brother (mind you, I felt the same way after watching the first season). I hope to see him get a lot more development in this one and maybe even be the protagonist of the B story. 

- Tyrion. I have full faith you'll do more with him in this one. His plot was cut in the first movie, but I still think he endeared himself to the audience and stole every scene he was in. You could even open with the trial of combat from S1 perhaps (sort of like a Bond/Indiana Jones prologue conflict), that way you can quickly introduce Bronn aswell. If thats not doable though, I understand.

The idea to cut Dany from this season is pretty good. Her plot was very filler and I don't think any of it will play into the endgame of the show anyways. I'd even say maybe one scene of her burning a slaver would be a cool little aside to remind us she's still a player.

Jon's plot was perfectly paced in the last movie, and I have faith you'll continue to nail that. He becomes more of a player in season 3 and 4 anyways. 

Best of luck, Andreas! Here's to hoping for another killer edit and I will help out in any way I can.

P.S. I wouldn't mind you keeping a few songs from the GOT score, as it would fit well with the LOTR stuff. Primarily Rains of Castamere and The Tower.
Cheers, brother! Sorry for a late response, I've had a really busy week.

It is a huge compliment you give me, brother! And I will see this project through, as this has been a passion project for me since I had the idea way back. Thank you!

- Thank you. Arya's role in Film II is much more prominent, as she is one of the five main arcs going on. Due to the massive overtaking of the project, only two scenes with Arya and Tywin are kept in. The one in which Tywin arrives at Harrenhal and gives her a job to do, and the second one in his chambers when Littlefinger arrives. But they are the two most important ones.

- Robb Stark is in a sense the new main character of FILM II. His storyline is the main focus, which is made clear from the getgo. We naturally progress into other storylines as the story unfolds and the war of the five kings becomes more brutal. We actually pick up the story straight at FILM I's ending.

- Tyrion! Thank you so much! That was my goal - to make him important and likeable enough as a presence for him to naturally come into the story as a main player in FILM II. And you will be glad to know that he is the main character in the Lannister/King's Landing storyline. He is a golden presence in Film II.

- As for Jon and Dany, I am glad to have your support. As for Dany, maybe she has a little cameo in there somwhere. Who knows! ;;) Jon's storyline is much more prominent in Film II, and becomes a main story focus near the middle act.

As for your GOT score wishlist, I can assure you you're not alone. Four people have requested the Lannister theme, Baratheon theme, you name it.

Thank you for your brilliant support and awesome ideas, and I can assure you that your interest is noted. When I have the finished product, maybe you can honor me to watch it before anyone else and tell me where we stand. :D

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also forgot to mention that Theon's storyline is a pivotal plot point, and he serves the kind of Saruman-arc in this film. Good guy turning bad. Though, it's not the same storyline obviously. A better methaphor would probably be that Theon has a kind of Anakin Skywalker arc in this movie, both tonally and emotionally.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Update! 

A Storm of Swords seems to land a 3 hours and 20 minutes as of right now, nearly 40 minutes longer than A Tale of Kings and Honor. I have the narrative finished now, and the scoring process is the only thing left (80% finished).

Having worked simultaneously on A Tale of Kings and Honor and A Storm of Swords for a year, I must say i've dreaded the cutting process when it comes to this particular edit. Before I finished my cut now half an hour ago, I was at 3 hours and 30 minutes. Before that, almost four hours. Then I've added back in stuff and removed something new, etcetc. But now i am satisfied.

This last couple of weeks have really shaped the edit into its own beast, and I think - and hope - that it will be satisfactory to whomever is anticipating this next entry. 

Winter is Coming!

SpectacularSMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm digging what I'm seeing! I like that the opening hits us with some refreshers of where the plot is at while also showing some new parts. Love the transition from Head Ned to Rob being anointed as King in the North.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SpectacularSMan said:
I'm digging what I'm seeing! I like that the opening hits us with some refreshers of where the plot is at while also showing some new parts. Love the transition from Head Ned to Rob being anointed as King in the North.
Cheers, brother! 

It felt important to me to set the tone right away, and what better way to do that than to pick up where we left. I'm glad you like it.

Belgarath

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haven't had the chance to see A Tale of kings and honor yet. I probably will, eventually. 

I don't know exactly how you ended the last movie. However, there are several things that bother me in the clip above:

1. At 2:06 the transition from Arya and Yorren to Sansa and Joffrey was too quick. We just saw in the quick cuts Eddard being executed and Sansa fainted and immediately we jump to Sansa being alright and Ned's head on a pike. I suggest adding fade to black for a few seconds between the scenes. Build up the music and then start the scene. Anything to suggest some passage of time between those two scenes. Maybe also show a wide shot of the red keep prior to that scene.

2.  At 2:55 too many things happening in the same frame - transition from Ned's head to the King in the north scene and A Storm of Swords titles appear all at once. I suggest moving the title to after the king in the north scene. I don't know what your next scene is. But, if I had to suggest one, it would be this:
(from the 01m:51s mark)

And as the camera pans up show the title right before we cut to Robb with Roose.

Anyway, keep up the ambitious work.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Belgarath" 

You should watch the product before you give critcism like that. The opening of A Storm of Swords is a flashback to a paticular scene that left an impact rather than a typical opening. It mirrors the opening of The Two Towers, in which we first go back in time and start the movie where we have already been (Gandalf's death), before we move to our current timeline. We didn't leave the last movie on Ned's death, but many minutes after. It's not being rushed through in any other way than that I know the audience has already seen Ned's execution, so we set the tone and stage from when that happened, and then reveal what happened to Arya in that same day.

And as for Rob's coronoation, that was also shown at the end of the last movie. We simply pick up where we left, as well as progress the story beyond that.

As for the timing of the shot you mention, I agree and it should be prolonged a little longer.

Thank you, brother!

Belgarath

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:rolleyes: Not really in the criticism business, man. Meant only to point few details that bothered me for one reason or another.
First thing I wrote is that [font=Raleway, sans-serif]I don't know exactly how you ended the last movie, so you take my points with a grain of salt or ignore them completely, if you feel like it. [/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I got the Two Towers reference. I like this idea.  :) [/font]

Don't take my remarks harshly. My only wish is for the project to be the best it could possibly be. If my observations should benefit the final product - great, I'll be glad to have helped. If not - well, no harm done..

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Belgarath said:
:rolleyes: Not really in the criticism business, man. Meant only to point few details that bothered me for one reason or another.
First thing I wrote is that [font=Raleway, sans-serif]I don't know exactly how you ended the last movie, so you take my points with a grain of salt or ignore them completely, if you feel like it. [/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I got the Two Towers reference. I like this idea.  :) [/font]

Don't take my remarks harshly. My only wish is for the project to be the best it could possibly be. If my observations should benefit the final product - great, I'll be glad to have helped. If not - well, no harm done..
The criticism i meant was constructive criticism - nothing else. :eek: Re-reading my post I sounded a little full of myself. I didn't mean to sound harsh myself.

So to put in a simple way; I thank you for your feedback and I thank you for taking part, I just had wished you had watched the film before giving advice, as that would have put us on the same page when we talk about the movie and where to go further. That was all I meant. :p

Thank you, brother!

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[UPDATE / Video Preview]

So I've been looking for a short clip to preview that would most benefit the tone, pace and emotional weight I'm going for in this edit and second entry of the Game of Thrones Saga, and I found this video preview to best suit my needs. I hope you'll enjoy.

douchebag

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
[UPDATE / Video Preview]

So I've been looking for a short clip to preview that would most benefit the tone, pace and emotional weight I'm going for in this edit and second entry of the Game of Thrones Saga, and I found this video preview to best suit my needs. I hope you'll enjoy.

Excellent choice of music for the scene with Robb and Catelyn

greatnoggini

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The transition from Joffrey to the killing montage to Gendry and Arya works really well. I don’t recall how closely they all came together originally but in this case it makes the point really well.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
douchebag said:
Excellent choice of music for the scene with Robb and Catelyn
Thank you, brother! That means quite a lot! I worked a lot of hours on mixing the theme for Rob and Cat and setting the right mood for that scene, as a lot of those emotions and themes will be replayed during Film III and the Red Wedding.
greatnoggini said:
The transition from Joffrey to the killing montage to Gendry and Arya works really well. I don’t recall how closely they all came together originally but in this case it makes the point really well.
Thanks, brother! I am thrilled to hear that! I'm glad you like the progression of tone and pace.

The positive feedback gives me a clear pinpoint on whether Film II will work or not the way intended. This pleases me!

greatnoggini

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also (I forgot to bring this up before) I liked how you paralleled two very different mother and son scenes to show the very different relationships there. That was really well done from a thematic point of view.

Top Bottom