• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

GAME OF THRONES || A Tale of Kings and Honor [1st film] [Lord of the Rings]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GAME OF THRONES - A TALE OF KINGS AND HONOR

1st film

This edit, and this series of edits, will create each separate season of Game of Thrones into one movie each - in the style of Lord of the Rings, starting with Season 1. 

[1.1] PROJECT INFO AND EXPLANATION
Game of Thrones - A Tale of Kings and Honor is the first film in a series of Game of Thrones movies, created from the source material of Season 1. The project is ment to have the same structural pace and tone as the Lord of the Rings, while maintaining the story and characters of Game of Thrones, to create a suspenseful, truthful-to-material, one-time adventure in which - instead of watching 10 hours of episodes, you watch one condensed 3-hour long movie with the story fundament of Game of Thrones and the pure adventure and tone of the Lord of the Rings.

Except for the shorter running time, adventurous feel of LOTR and GoT combined, and more condensed storyline, half the idea is also that it will be much easier to watch this with a nay-sayer friend than to ask him to watch 10 hours of episodes with you. Also, much easier to do a Game of Thrones-marathon.

The series' soundtrack is completely removed and replaced with that of Lord of the Rings, using different themes for the different houses (Rohan for the Starks, Gondor for King's Landing, Arwen theme (and later when dragons; Elfs/Rivendell theme) for Daenerys), as well as the entirety of the score of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies where suited.

[SHOWCASE] PREVIEW CLIPS

PREVIEW CLIP, OPENING: Go to YouTube to watch it
PREVIEW CLIP, DAENERYS: Watch it on YouTube here

[1.2] PROJECT STATISTICS
RUNTIME: 3 HOURS; possibly less as cutting progresses.
FOCUS: Ned Stark/the Starks & Robert Baratheon, the Lannisters, conspiracy plot, supporting characters where relevant, Daenerys and Jon Snow.

As of right now I've made out the outline for the first 90 of 180 minutes - or half the movie if you will, created outlines for how each story will pay-off or be continued, and carefully listened through hours of LOTR soundtrack to combine them into different new ones and sorted out the different themes for the different houses.

I've focused on characters and conflicts for the first 40 minutes, thereafter focused more on the on-going story and conflicts, which thereafter leads to a massive build-up to a middle-act/middle-climax (90 minute mark) of great conflict to pay-off early story beats from all the different main characters' stories, and to create some much-needed action for more tension; then going forward towards the last 90 minutes, with one bigger climax to end it all.

[1.3] STORY
- Ned Stark is the main character, not the Starks. All the Starks get to shine in Winterfell just as they should, but as the story progresses and Ned leaves, so does our focus on his children, Catelyn and Winterfell, only to feature again after the middle-act (100 minute mark) when Tyrion visits after his trip to The Wall, and at the end after Ned's death, to set-up the second movie.

- No Tyrion and Catelyn subplot with Tyrion being captured and taken prisoner, and the trip to the Eyrie.
- No Catelyn visiting Ned and Littlefinger at King's Landing.
- Daenery's storyline starts later, as I don't want to detract from the Starks. It starts just before Ned and Jon leave Winterfell, after Robert's speech in the crypts as in the original (which is now much later).
- Viserys is just the worst brat and big brother ever and villain of Daenerys' story, and that is all he is. Cut personal scenes.
- Removed tremendous amount of supporting characters' subplots to focus on main plots.
- Removed tremendous amount of character's dialogues and backstories, and scenes of no story or character importance.
- Jon Snow storyline at Castle Black is much more condensed, fast-paced and visually appealing.
- The greatest deal of screentime for Tyrion is the first 60 minutes, and the last 60 minutes. In the second act he takes a backseat as he is traveling home, although short appearances here and there when relevant for the story.
- King's Landing scenes are extremely condensed and relevant to the plot, and have a very thriller'y feel to it.
- Ned Stark's children at King's Landing, Arya and Sansa, very much take a backseat from the second act and throughout, though it is known Arya takes waterdancing lessons from Syrio Forell.
- Khal Drogo is no longer of great importance. He is there. He looks badass. He plays his part. But pregnancy/son-subplot, Daenery's&Khal full-on romance and all the boring and supposedly emotional and personal scenes are removed, with very few exceptions.
- Khal Drogo dies of his wounds. Witch tries to save him. Daenerys' enters tent, comes out with baby dragons. No braindead Khal Drogo-subplot and "oh nooo, my moon & stars, i love you".
- Littlefinger and Varys play their parts as mysterious characters and schemers, although their appearances (mostly) only relevant for Ned or the story.

... and much, much, much more. Any questions, just ask.

[1.4] DIFFERENT IDEAS
- No Daenery's for Season 2, coming back for Season 3.. Season 2 storyline boring.

- I'll create a DVD with menu and all for every movie.
- I'll release it in MP4 5.1, and 5.1 DVD.
- If wished upon, I will create one version of every movie - identical - but without the LOTR music. Shouldn't be much trouble. This would however be later down the line.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would love to see some footage with the new musical score. This sounds very interesting. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Detective

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think we all want to know.. are you cutting out the nudity?  That seems to be the real reason any of my co-workers watch the show...

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Detective said:
I think we all want to know.. are you cutting out the nudity?  That seems to be the real reason any of my co-workers watch the show...
They'd be much better off with True Blood if they wanted nudity. Game of Thrones has been pretty tame in that department lately.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aztek463 said:
I would love to see some footage with the new musical score. This sounds very interesting. :D

If due to copyright infrigement and build-in doesn't work, watch it on your computer and on YouTube here: Go to YouTube to watch it
One more video with Daenerys is uploading as we speak. Will post it very soon.

[UPDATE] Daenerys clip as well: Watch it on YouTube here

Detective said:
Hehe! Nudity will remain within, and so will all the blood and gore.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not bad at all! It'll take some getting used to, hearing the Lord of the Rings score in a different context, but I think it'll work!

Kudos for keeping the blood/gore/nudity. Game of Thrones is one of the few shows where none of the above (well, the nudity a bit in the first season) isn't gratuitous.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Detective said:
Eventually I'm planning on making a Game of Thrones film series in the future as explained recently in the fanedit ideas thread, of which nudity and other hard R elements are cut as one of several ways of emulating a more Hollywood feel.

Anyhow, this looks really exciting Andreas!  Being a big fan of both series, this seems like the perfect combination.  That and I also severely desire to see the show in a longer focused cinematic style.  Nice to see you are also keeping the mature content, it's an aspect of the show I enjoy when it is well utilized for dramatic effect.  Removing such material requires making the story something less purist, and if not done well would simply weaken the story.  I still wish to see a softer edit, but since I'm planning that myself, I see no reason for anyone else to do such.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
Detective said:
Eventually I'm planning on making a Game of Thrones film series in the future as explained recently in the fanedit ideas thread, of which nudity and other hard R elements are cut as one of several ways of emulating a more Hollywood feel.

Anyhow, this looks really exciting Andreas!  Being a big fan of both series, this seems like the perfect combination.  That and I also severely desire to see the show in a longer focused cinematic style.  Nice to see you are also keeping the mature content, it's an aspect of the show I enjoy when it is well utilized for dramatic effect.  Removing such material requires making the story something less purist, and if not done well would simply weaken the story.  I still wish to see a softer edit, but since I'm planning that myself, I see no reason for anyone else to do such.
Cheers, man! I agree with your statements, and I think this project will be a very interesting and enjoyable one.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:

As much as I'm against cutting these aspects out for the reason you described, the people who cut together the "Previously on..." trailers before each episode do an admirable job of removing these aspects.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aztek463 said:
emanswfan said:

As much as I'm against cutting these aspects out for the reason you described, the people who cut together the "Previously on..." trailers before each episode do an admirable job of removing these aspects.
Yeah. I wonder if they use different takes and angles for the "Previous on...", or if they just crop the footage, or use dialogue from *Nude person* over a different, less-nude shot. I did notice for a couple of Season 1 "Previously On'"s they used different angles than from the actual episode, so it might perhaps be that they are aware of this during filming, both for the sake of creating upcoming TV Spots and Trailers, but also previously on. However, that seems like a lot of extra work so I don't think it likely.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might be fun to put in 2.35:1 croplines and reframe. More cinematic.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Might be fun to put in 2.35:1 croplines and reframe. More cinematic.
Excellent suggestion! Did it right now. Although, reframing will take some time. But it looks very cinematic now.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
How do you guys feel about Melisandre/Stannis getting the Gollum soundtrack? I think it fits perfectly.
This is the soundtrack.

I really like that. That'll definitely work for a few scenes, especially around a minute in when things really pick up.

For the "Previously on..." trailers, I'm not sure why they'd bother with shooting alternate versions of scenes. It's not like the show is syndicated to other networks where nudity/blood is more objectionable, and that sort of content is in the episodes anyway.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Probably because as far as advertising goes, there are strong PG rules.

Jamie Lannister is trying to capture Ned as soon as he and Cersei figure out that Bran is awake, as a sort of impulsive act to try to protect himself and his sister. The Tyrion subplot of being captured is gone and therefore no longer the motivation.

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
- If wished upon, I will create one version of every movie - identical - but without the LOTR music. Shouldn't be much trouble. This would however be later down the line.
Add me to a list of those interested in a non LOTR version of the films. Would be fascinating to see someone condense this down, but feel like the LOTR music wouldn't put me off.

Good luck.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DSM2337 said:
Andreas said:
Add me to a list of those interested in a non LOTR version of the films. Would be fascinating to see someone condense this down, but feel like the LOTR music wouldn't put me off.

Good luck.

I would also be interested in checking out a version like this. You'd likely be able to just do different audio tracks on a single release.

Also, the title:

I realize the title of a film is just a bunch of words on screen at the beginning (or end) that doesn't have much bearing on the actual content, but I don't know if "A Tale of Kings and Honor" really works. Especially the honor bit.

Spoilers for the entire series thus far (not just season one):
- Ned Stark tries to be honorable and loses his head for it.
- Jon Snow also tries to do the honorable thing by letting the Wildlings through the Wall and gets stabbed for his troubles.
- The Red Wedding and everyone involved in planning and executing it. I believe nothing else need be said.
- Joffrey reneges on his promise to let Ned join the Night's Watch.
- The various poisonings throughout the series: Jon Arryn, Joffrey, Davos attempting to poison Melisandre.
- Robb refusing to honor his word to Walder Frey and marrying someone else.
- Arya leaving the Hound to die a slow and painful death.
- Theon's betrayal of the Starks.
- Stannis using shadow magic to assassinate his brother (you could argue it was Melisandre, but Stannis was okay with it. Davos was complicit in it as well).
- The Night's Watch betraying Jon Snow, and before that, the group killing Lord Commander Mormont at Craster's Keep.

The list goes on, but suffice it to say honor is in VERY short supply in Westeros.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aztek463 said:
I realize the title of a film is just a bunch of words on screen at the beginning (or end) that doesn't have much bearing on the actual content, but I don't know if "A Tale of Kings and Honor" really works. Especially the honor bit
The list goes on, but suffice it to say honor is in VERY short supply in Westeros.
Exactly. The title is very ironic and on-the-nose. It's a tale of Kings and Honor that gets Ned murdered and his son as well.
Robert, the king, is very precious to Ned, and so is honor. Therefore, it's a tale of Kings and Honor. I think it fits perfectly.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
douchebag said:
how are you planning to do the dragon scene?
I think it's pretty much explained on the frontpage, but literally it's pretty straightforward, except for the music.
DSM2337 said:
Andreas said:

Good luck.
Yours and Azter's interest are noted. I might create separate audio on the DVD for each release, or re-release them with Original Soundtrack after every initial release, like some sort of holiday special while awaiting the next entry (season 2/movie 2).

Top Bottom