• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Game movies made by faneditors

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder if there are members here who like converting games into movies. I am not talking about people who post their gameplay videos and walkthroughs and consider it a movie, or those who put together all the cutscenes and consider it a movie as well. Of course I respect everyone's effort, but I am talking about the game movies made with more care, mixing both gameplay and cutscenes and removing HUD, in order to make it narratively work as a movie.

I do this sometimes as a hobby. I try to make my game movies to cover a seamless mix of gameplay and story of the game. I usually try to take note that no paradox happens with the rest of game series, as I usually cover complete series like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, God of War and more. Moreover, my movies usually are less than 2 hours and even sometimes less than 1 hour and half. I personally think that game movies get boring when it's too long extending to over 5 hours, which reminds me of walkthroughs and playthroughs more than a regular movie.

My projects so far are:

Resident Evil Series:
Resident Evil 2 Remake:
Resident Evil 3 Remake:
Resident Evil 7 Biohazard:
Resident Evil Village:

God of War Series:
God of War:
God of War II + Ghost of Sparta:
God of War III:

Metal Gear Solid Series:
Metal Gear Solid:
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of the Patriots:
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater:
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots: https://youtu.be/PGJbg2Cm1vI
Metal Gear Solid V (Ground Zeroes +The Phantom Pain) : https://youtu.be/BGP75cceT5U

Other projects:
Final Fantasy X: https://youtu.be/B11eB9vpbmM
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: https://youtu.be/qp2TxUplXF0

I am interested in seeing any similar projects made my members here.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I were better at the games that I play, I'd totally be into making video game to movie edits. One of my favorites is Bounty Hunter

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did a long time ago on a Macbook. And they actually did way better than I ever expected:

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A little random but still on topic, but i once had an idea to make an ocarina of time movie using hd texture packs and the debug rom. Like, 15 years ago was when i was going to do this. The reason i was going to use the debug rom was because you can get complete control of the camera with it so i could have staged shots with specific angles and make custom sequences and such and made almost an actual animated movie with it. None of the work i did is still around though and while i don't know that it's actually worth doing i still think it's an interesting idea.

Sin Pausa

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
when watching most of those YouTube game "movie" videos, I always keep thinking of how pc mods could lead to editing gameplay sequences in a way that truly makes them cinematic instead of just it feeling like a "let's play"

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kinda like GTA mods and Rockstar's Editor? I've seen several cool short films made in it over the years.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A little random but still on topic, but i once had an idea to make an ocarina of time movie using hd texture packs and the debug rom. Like, 15 years ago was when i was going to do this. The reason i was going to use the debug rom was because you can get complete control of the camera with it so i could have staged shots with specific angles and make custom sequences and such and made almost an actual animated movie with it. None of the work i did is still around though and while i don't know that it's actually worth doing i still think it's an interesting idea.
I was actually thinking of doing this with the 3DS version. I did a test cropping a screenshot to widescreen to see if it could hide the text box (the game would be rather difficult to play without text) and sure enough, it did, by cropping out all on the bottom and not at the top. However, the edge of the text box is still visible, but that's nothing a texture pack couldn't fix. Combine the lack of text with a voice cast and I might be onto something.
However, it'd still need a lot of work to be an enjoyable experience and not just a game with all the gameplay cut out. I was also thinking like you that it would need custom camera angles for traditional cinematography in place of a game camera.
Oh and goes without saying that Majora's Mask would come afterwards.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well the thing was I did it with the debug rom so I could control the camera and actually set up proper shots and stuff. Plus if you use texture packs you can get it in HD and it kindof has a 3D anime vibe to it.

Top Bottom