• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Game modding

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does any one here do video game modding? If you don't know what that is, it is like faneditting for video games. I do a bunch of it. Democracy 3 and Civilization are my favorites. Any other modders out there?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I downloaded other people's work extensively, especially on Star Wars Jedi Knight II and Jedi Knight Academy. Great times! :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yes Jedi Knight was very user friendly that way. I used to add my own sounds, replace the faces of the characters and make my own lightsabers. It was as easy pie.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't do any myself, but I've been impressed with the following works by other people:
Oni - updates for character models, also character skins and better A.I
Baldurs gate I and II: made them into one sprawling unabridged epic RPG, also updated the gameplay mechanics of I with the systems of 2.
FFVII: character models improved along with NPC's and other stuff (kinda irrevelant given recent E3 news but hey...)
KOTOR2: all that added content and some cutscenes made it a much better experience.
Mass Effect 3: that 'shepard lives' ending mod.

I haven't played all of these but I've seen some of them on youtube along with this
"]
]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
Baldurs gate I and II: made them into one sprawling unabridged epic RPG, also updated the gameplay mechanics of I with the systems of 2.

I did not know that, thanks. Sounds good and a great reason to replay those two classics again.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been a big modder since Wolfenstein 3d in the 90's. (Doom and Quake I as well). I did mods for CIV II and III, then got into SIMS (1,2, and 3). Then came my biggest Project Star Trek Mod II for Civ4.

[video=youtube_share;ksVe0M58BQk]

Now I'm working on making Mods for Democracy 3. I've been thinking about Modding Civ5, but not quite feeling it yet.

Omaru1982 said:
I don't do any myself, but I've been impressed with the following works by other people:
KOTOR2: all that added content and some cutscenes made it a much better experience.

This is a very good mod, It really makes it like a new game. If your a fan of the Mass Effect Series and starwars, this is like a must play. I will have to check out Star Wars Jedi Knight II and Jedi Knight Academy. I haven't even heard of these.

karacho

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
iI will have to check out Star Wars Jedi Knight II and Jedi Knight Academy. I haven't even heard of these.

You should play them in order, which is:
1. Dark Forces
2. Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight
3. Jedi Knight - Mysteries of the Sith
4. Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
5. Jedi Academy

You can buy all of them on gog.com or on steam, and they are worth it. If you have difficulties getting them running or having the correct aspect ratio or when you want to look up and down in the first one, write me a PM. Maybe i will even make a Thread here how to fix old games for new Hardware.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've run all of them on Windows 7 and up, and not had any problems. I spent more time than I care to admit on Jedi Academy multiplayer back in '04/'05. Met a lot of cool people there. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

karacho

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some of them cause problems on some modern systems: None of the Dark Jedi Knight / Dark Forces ran correctly on my Windows 10 PC (Steam Versions)
Some didnt run at all, some didnt have suppoert for 3D Hardware, some just did have the wrong aspect ratio and stretched the 4:3 ratio to fill my 16:9 monitor.
Found a fix for all of them, now i can run the steam versions of all those games without any problems, and Mysteries of the Sith even has music now. :)

Top Bottom