• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (The Manga Cut) Episodes 1 - 10

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There was a story about 2 brothers who had a natural talent for alchemy called Fullmetal Alchemist. This story was originally told in a manga, but before the manga was finished an anime was put out. The anime had to change and create some original story elements because the manga was still ongoing at the time.

After the manga had finished they wanted to revisit the anime with a version closer to the actual story told in the manga. This would be known as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The only thing was due to retreading some story elements told in the original anime, they shortened some story beats for FMAB.

Online fans had come up with ways to watch some episodes of each mix and match FMA and FMAB to get the full story. One of these was told on Anime Planet here: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Halex/lists/fullmetal-alchemist--watching-guide-191736

So I figured why not create replacement episodes for FMAB by combining the required viewing from FMA into longer episodes to create an actual manga cut for rewatching based on the Anime Planet article.

I'm not going to add any bumpers to the front of this because I want to keep the experiences on par with the none edited episodes. I will instead add it at the end as a post credit.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is going to be a cool project As I am going through these episodes, I noticed it is not as cut and dry as taking 2 episodes and making them one. There are some continuity things that will need to be addressed and some episodes will need to be a blend of FMA and FMAB. I know that Al has a different voice actor and the animation style is slightly different. But the soul idea behind this edit is to get the best of both versions of the anime. So the over all continuity is more important than the little things like if Ed's hair has a black line or a blonde line. Al's voice is modulated because of the armor, so the difference there is negligible as well.

Still I think this will be fun. I don't know how many people on here are intro anime, but if anyone was curious about it, then this is an amazing one to start on.

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Full metal alchemist (including brotherhood) is one of the only long form anime shows that captivated me enough to watch all the way through. I think this is worth doing, even if it is fun to get through the alternate versions, an average viewer and even a reader coming to the show would definitely prefer the singular experience over the piecemeal.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Full metal alchemist (including brotherhood) is one of the only long form anime shows that captivated me enough to watch all the way through. I think this is worth doing, even if it is fun to get through the alternate versions, an average viewer and even a reader coming to the show would definitely prefer the singular experience over the piecemeal.
I have to agree with you there. I had always had a passing interest in anime until this show came along and I just fell in love with it.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Small delay on this. I need to rebuy FMA... my current is the original DVD that came out 20 years ago and thought with animation I could get away with it, but nope lol...

Give me a couple of weeks

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have been playing with my Blu-Ray rips and even did a 4K upscale on them to try and recrop the episodes to be the same format as FMAB. However... Even using AI software to upscale it is obviously just blown up and doesn't look very good.

So I'm asking opinions here... Would it be alright to have a different aspect ratio for these episodes than it is for episode 11 on up in the actual FMAB?

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There was a story about 2 brothers who had a natural talent for alchemy called Fullmetal Alchemist. This story was originally told in a manga, but before the manga was finished an anime was put out. The anime had to change and create some original story elements because the manga was still ongoing at the time.

After the manga had finished they wanted to revisit the anime with a version closer to the actual story told in the manga. This would be known as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The only thing was due to retreading some story elements told in the original anime, they shortened some story beats for FMAB.

Online fans had come up with ways to watch some episodes of each mix and match FMA and FMAB to get the full story. One of these was told on Anime Planet here: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Halex/lists/fullmetal-alchemist--watching-guide-191736

So I figured why not create replacement episodes for FMAB by combining the required viewing from FMA into longer episodes to create an actual manga cut for rewatching based on the Anime Planet article.

I'm not going to add any bumpers to the front of this because I want to keep the experiences on par with the none edited episodes. I will instead add it at the end as a post credit.
Awesome idea but the animation of the 2003 anime doesn’t match brotherhood so it doesn’t fully line up with brotherhood.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome idea but the animation of the 2003 anime doesn’t match brotherhood so it doesn’t fully line up with brotherhood.
The animation is close enough for the experience. The only real difference aspect ratio aside is the hair is not drawn with a black line. Colors are a bit brighter but I can adjust that too.

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The animation is close enough for the experience. The only real difference aspect ratio aside is the hair is not drawn with a black line. Colors are a bit brighter but I can adjust that too.
Are you going to have a Japanese option the reason why is the dub took some liberties with the translation like hohenheim calling Ed and Al children when confronting father when he was I think calling father a child.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you going to have a Japanese option the reason why is the dub took some liberties with the translation like hohenheim calling Ed and Al children when confronting father when he was I think calling father a child.
I could do both. Once I have the cuts figured out on one, it's easy enough to do a second set for the other

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I could do both. Once I have the cuts figured out on one, it's easy enough to do a second set for the other
Perfect. It’s ironic the dub would have been perfect if they didn’t take liberties with the original it’s one if it to making it work in English. it’s another to change the way the character is because it changes hohenheim and i don’t like that change at all.

Last edited:

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the episode titles were generic text on the DVD and the Blu Ray (at least the set I got) have the credits in English but the episode title in Japanese? So I decided that since I'm playing with it, I might as well come up with something that looks a little nicer.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Due to how some episode are being combined, I will have some original titles for these new versions. I will do my best to keep them in the same spirit of FMA titles but also encompass what the whole episodes narrative will be.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So far 2 episodes in English are done and 1 in Japanese. I should have the 2nd episode in Japanese done this week.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perfect. It’s ironic the dub would have been perfect if they didn’t take liberties with the original it’s one if it to making it work in English. it’s another to change the way the character is because it changes hohenheim and i don’t like that change at all.
I am struggling more with doing a Japanese language version than I thought I would. The episodes that take more editing I am just having a hard time with. So I will only be doing an English language version of the episodes.

If someone wants to take the English edits and recreate them in Japanese, they are more than welcome to use what I did as the guide.

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am struggling more with doing a Japanese language version than I thought I would. The episodes that take more editing I am just having a hard time with. So I will only be doing an English language version of the episodes.

If someone wants to take the English edits and recreate them in Japanese, they are more than welcome to use what I did as the guide.
That’s disappointing to hear I’m not a fan of brotherhood dub hohenheim when he confronts father he be littles Ed and Al when he was originally be lilting father things like that. these changes make me despise the dub because I wonder if it’s done to the rest of the cast and 2003 fma as well.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't remember Hohenheim really being in the original series. It really became its own story around episode 25

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
4 Episodes are complete. Almost done with 5!

Top Bottom