• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Full Metal Jacket - Locked and Loaded

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since my Robocop 2 edit is being a pain in my arse, I decided to put that one on hold, and think of a simpler edit to cut my editing teeth on. Hence, I've come up with an idea called Full Metal Jacket Reloaded. What I wanted to do was to use the boot camp at the beginning as flashbacks within the film, at moments that, hopefully, would seem relevant. These would be done in black and white, with captions. Rolling Stones' Pain It Black would still end the film, but it would begin with Joker and Raptorman sitting at the table, being approached by the hooker, and the song These Boots Were Made For Walking.
What I also wanted to do, was give the interview scenes an old film filter as well, and also trim scenes if needed.

Good or bad idea (or does one already exist?)

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, that sounds awesome.
what do you mean about the captions part though ? like your flashback would say at the bottom, "earlier that day back in the barricks..."
if that's the case, i don't think you'd even need time reference captions. like how American History X did it's flashbacks, you just know it's in the past and the point in time is irrelevant.
but then too, you could have something else in mind.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it's a great idea! I'm one of those guys that consider the first half of the movie far superior to the second half, so having the better stuff intercut all through the movie might make it more exciting throughout. I've actually had a similar idea for a different movie (won't tell so far... maybe some day).

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys. I've already made a start (it's actually ten times easier than the Robocop 2 one. No troubles at all!!)

@Baileym43: the captions are just ones like "8 Months Earlier..." that sort of thing, just to establish a timeline. But I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. Some of the boot camp stuff has had to go unfortunately, but some of the good stuff is still there (can't say which. 'Tis a secret ;) ).

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since Gomer Pyle doesn't survive the boot camp, I'm assuming most of his part will end up on the cutting room floor?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Since Gomer Pyle doesn't survive the boot camp, I'm assuming most of his part will end up on the cutting room floor?

Please NO!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's no feasible way to cut out Gomer Pyle's scenes in boot camp. So I would say "Please NO!" as well, but it doesn't matter cause there would be no satisfactory way to do that IMO.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the proper way to do it would be running the boot camp/Gomer Pyle and war plotlines in parallel and culminate them with the resolution of the stories of Pyle and the Vietnamese girl in the climax.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
I think the proper way to do it would be running the boot camp/Gomer Pyle and war plotlines in parallel and culminate them with the resolution of the stories of Pyle and the Vietnamese girl in the climax.

That's pretty much what JSW said he's doing.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I mean drawing a sort of parallel between Pyle and the girl, or at least between the destructive resolution of their respective arcs. I don't know if JSW will do so or not.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pyle will not be edited out. His more important scenes will remain intact via flashbacks (they are acting as Joker's memories. We see what he remembers), and I ope they are the ones that are the most connected to that relevant moment. So, Pyle is safe. Hurrah!

I might play about with where they are put, but for now, I think they might just fit in nicely where they are. It's experimental at the mo, so much might change.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One question. Are you working on it or is it still an idea for the time being?

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made a start earlier on, just after I posted the thread. I got so hacked off with Roboflop, I just looked through my folder of dvds. I was going to make an edit of The Dukes of Hazzard, and make it in keeping with the original show (cut out the swearing, nudity (if any), and just make it god, old fashioned family adventure). But, then I saw the disc of FMJ, and that's when the idea hit me, and I started right away.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a quick heads up. It's actually finished but I'll need to go through it to make sure it all gels together. Added over the opening credits, is gunnery Sargent hartman addressing the recruits before they are given their assignments, which fades out before the movie starts. Also said opening credits are longer, making the end ones shorter, so no repeating names. To add to this, manually added is Paint It Black staying where it belongs: ending the film. In total, it runs at 88 minutes, but more flashbacks may be added to flesh the film out. Will update soon

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another update:

Joker's flashbacks have been rearranged, so the emotional breakdown of Pyle flows parallel with the main story (it feels better than just having them scattered), with some very minor cuts (these are hidden by the picture fade ins/outs). Also added (I cant get no) Satisfaction to the helicopter sequence where Joker and Rafterman are transported to Cowboy's outfit.

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice edit idea and I like how you're developing it.

The 1st and 2nd halves of Full Metal Jacket always seemed utterly disconnected to me on an emotional level, as if Pyle's murder/suicide never happened.

Also - opening with Hartman addressing the troops I assume means you won't need to use any titling in flashbacks later on?

SD

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only titling is things like "8 months earlier" just to give the events a timeline. The voice over over the titles was just an after thought. It was going to be just silence, but I think this sounds better. I was going to leave out Hartman's death and Pyle's suicide, so that they lived, but then I'd have to explain Pyle's absence, and it flowed better with them both left in anyhow.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even if you cut out Hartman's death and Pyle's suicide, you wouldn't have to explain Pyle's absence. Pyle could have been shipped off somewhere else, as Da Nang isn't the only place troops went.

BUT by keeping in the murder/suicide it dovetails with Joker's actions in the end. So good that you're keeping it.

Top Bottom