• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Full Metal Jacket - Locked and Loaded

Just like to say thanks to Neg, for putting up with my total bombardment of questions and stuff, and for the great review. Cheers dude. It makes the whole process worthwhile :D It shows that patience is key, don't rush it, get yourself a good set-up and the rest will come. I might even go back to finishing off Blaboa after Lifeforce has been done lol.

The link for this should be up on.info now. If not, pm me, and ill send it to you.

*Nothing in this review is meant as a personal attack on the editor. This is just one guy's opinion. Any criticism(s) are meant to be constructive feedback for the editor.*

I like Full Metal Jacket, but to me it was always essentially two movies. The first movie being the basic training and Pyle's arc. The second movie being Joker in Vietnam. JSW came up with a unique way to change the narrative and I think it works.

The title fonts worked well (as for as I can tell it's the same font as the title cards in the theatrical version). However the fonts used to indicated place and time (i.e. Da Nang 1968) looked to me a little tacky/amateurish, this is just my opinion though.

The first dissolve to the flashback of the introduction of the Drill Instructor was a bit abrupt IMO, however the subsequent dissolves throughout the remainder of the edit were excellent!

The audio work, for the most part the audio editing was spot on. And the inclusion of "Satisfaction" worked well. The only thing I noticed, worth pointing out, is around the 37:08 mark, during the black screen, you can faintly hear the sound of a trumpet (remnants of another seen i'm assuming). I didn't notice any other problems though.

The black and white was also well executed. Sometimes people change stuff to black and white and it ends up looking crappy, this was definitely not the case here.

Lastly, one subjective thing regarding the narrative. This has nothing to do with the technical aspects of the edit, but I would have liked to have seen one other flashback of Pyle's transformation before the last flashback culminating in the murder/suicide.

Overall this edit was prettay, prettay, prettay good. While it doesn't improve on the original, it is definitely an alternate version that is worth seeing.

Nice work, [MENTION=9767]JetSetWilly[/MENTION]

Thanks for the review, Gatos. Improving it never even crossed my mind. It was more a sort of experiment, really. Not as a replacement to the original (you cant do that. Its a true classic), more a sort of alternate cut, so it stands side by side with the original. Thanks again, though. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've always enjoyed the first half of the movie the most. The second half is good, but not as good. Telling the second half in its own right works extremely well. The focus of the movie is squarely on Joker now, with the flashbacks to the first half showing us only what we need to know about how Joker was shaped by his experience at Parris and with Pyle. I thought more material could have been included in that regard. In this edit, it doesn't seem that Joker became Pyle's squad leader, which is an interesting change. Without Hartman's speech about giving the rifle a girl's name, the closing voiceover is robbed of impact and sounds quite out of place. A few of the transitions were a touch too long of blank screen. Overall, a very interesting edit.

Thanks for the review, Dethryl. With the transitions, I didn't want to fade from one scene, and then the second scene pops up just after it. I intentionally left the fades a bit longer because......well.......ok, i can't think of a reason, I think I was going all cinematic lol.

congrats on finishing, jettus settus willus! will check eet out when real life permits.

Back
Top Bottom