• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Full Metal Jacket - Locked and Loaded

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, no, I'm not canning it. The rip I did from my disc was buggered, and looking at it closely, the quality wasn't as good as I'd hoped. So, am doing it again from scratch with a fresh rip, but it will still be edited the same way.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Just curious, did you use the standard ripping method (rip from disc -> demux -> make an uncompressed or lossless .avi file -> import to editing software)? Don't make the usual mistake of trying to edit vobs or converting to a lossy format before editing.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No. I just ripped it, then done a straight conversion. I did re-rip it last night, but I've to put it through demux. I think that might have been my mistake :oops:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not familiar with Video Editor Pro X5 at all (don't think I've even heard of it), but in any case I meant the post about ripping and demuxing, whether you then use Vegas or not.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm giving it a go, so fingers crossed it works.

I've had an idea as well. I've managed to get the Warner Bros logo from 1967, and am going to replace the logo from the 80's with it. Let's hope it works well. I also got the name of the program wrong. It's VideoStudio Pro X5 by Corel. It's quite a good program. But I'll certainly give Vegas a go though.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, I would strongly recommend that you do a test of the entire workflow before you engage in doing your full edit a 2nd time through. Rip the source per the suggestions Dwight has pointed to, make some basic edits to a 10 minute clip, visual cuts, transitions, audio crossfades, all the basic tools you will use in your final edit, then run through the entire process of exporting/rendering/building your final dvd. Validate your workflow before you get caught by the another flaw after doing all that work)

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Consider that done. Thanks to all for the advice. It's really helped. I've just checked through the whole edit, no glitches, nothing wrong at all. All edits now in place, and the run time is extended from 91 to 94 minutes. Added Pyle trying to do the assault course and chin ups (mainly because of Hartman's put downs), and added the Warner logo from 1967, and the Warner fanfare from the 80s to the start and the Warner logo to the end. Just got to go through with a final watch-through to see if everything works, then it's onto exporting, sorting menus and adding added features (like a few trailers).

Looks like it might be done sooner than I anticipated (fingers crossed).

spicediver

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Consider that done. Thanks to all for the advice. It's really helped. I've just checked through the whole edit, no glitches, nothing wrong at all. All edits now in place, and the run time is extended from 91 to 94 minutes. Added Pyle trying to do the assault course and chin ups (mainly because of Hartman's put downs), and added the Warner logo from 1967, and the Warner fanfare from the 80s to the start and the Warner logo to the end. Just got to go through with a final watch-through to see if everything works, then it's onto exporting, sorting menus and adding added features (like a few trailers).

Looks like it might be done sooner than I anticipated (fingers crossed).

Good stuff. This will be an interesting watch.

Can I suggest one more thing before you release: wait a week, possibly two weeks, without doing any work on the project at all, and then watch it again. The breathing space will allow you pick up things in your edit that you might have missed otherwise, and allow you to improve it further.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
spicediver said:
Can I suggest one more thing before you release: wait a week, possibly two weeks, without doing any work on the project at all, and then watch it again. The breathing space will allow you pick up things in your edit that you might have missed otherwise, and allow you to improve it further.

This is such fantastic advice. Lots of things can get overlooked due to various factors while working on an edit.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
This is such fantastic advice. Lots of things can get overlooked due to various factors while working on an edit.

I've just done that very thing. There were things I noticed that escaped my attention first of all, but they have been rectified. Will watch the rest, and change things that don't work. But, it's all looking groovy at the mo, so fingers crossed it should be done and dusted (though I wouldn't hold my breath :icon_lol:)

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update:

Looking through it, it's all looking fine. Did some tweaking here and there, but it's done. Next stop: finalising the file to upload for review, then it's off to dvd authoring with the added features I'm putting on there. So far, so good :-D

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update central:

there are now two trailers and an About this edit... video as well. I was going to do a deleted scenes montage as well, but....er....I....well......deleted the footage by accident :oops::oops:
All that's left to do is sort out the subtitle file, then it's off to authoring as an iso, and it's ready to go for upload (if people are still interested, of course).

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dvd is now done(as dvd files). I'll upload it, and do the subtitles later. As I said, the special features are two trailers and an about this edit thing I threw together. Rar-ing and uploading now.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update:
This edit has now been approved :eek:

I've had to re-author the DVD as the files were corrupt. Doing it now, and it should be ready for uploading tomorrow evening when I get in from work. Unless anyone else wants me to put a trailer on the disc for their edit, in which case I'll hold fire, and author once I've received them.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Nice job! :)

Thanks. I just cant wait to get my work out there. I've so may ideas going through my mind for various fan edits, it's unreal!!!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on your approval!

JetSetWilly said:
Thanks. I just cant wait to get my work out there. I've so may ideas going through my mind for various fan edits, it's unreal!!!

This is something I wrote which was added to the Advice to New Editors thread. I that it applied to the above quote.

Fanediting is a time consuming process. Once you get the hang of your editing software and all the steps involved you can eventually get projects completed at quite a quick pace BUT slow and steady is always better in my opinion.

Speaking for myself, when I first got started in fanediting I was super enthusiastic. I was lucky enough to recruit a forum member as my mentor and along the way garnered knowledge and advice from other members as well. But I had an idea and I was anxious for the world to see it! I couldn't wait. But a wise man once said "Aim for perfection." So it was a struggle (and still is) to take my time, take a step back, and not settle.

You only release your edit once (unless its not initially approved). So there is no point in rushing only to put out a fanedit that in retrospect has you saying "ah I wish I had done this, or left out that etc." There is no point in being lazy. For as many kind and generous critics on here we have plenty of harsh critics. And while you can't please everyone you can certainly avoid getting chewed out for subpar technical quality of your edit by not settling and being patient.

I have been a victim of this myself. There are at least one of two things in each one of my edits which make me cringe and stand out as instances of "shoulda, woulda, coulda".

Learn from my mistakes!

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read through that a few days ago. It is a really handy piece of advice. It was easy for me to do a V1 of this edit, and a lot of things went wrong, but with some practice, patience and good advice, I was happy with V3, and it was in a releaseable form. I think I've learned a lot from this edit, but I'm always learning using Vegas, and I'm having fun at the same time.

I hope the people who watch the edit get some enjoyment out of it. There are a few minor technical issues, but I'm happy overall.

Minor note: can this thread be moved to completed please. Thanks.

Top Bottom