• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Full Metal Jacket - Locked and Loaded

Neglify said:
Even if you cut out Hartman's death and Pyle's suicide, you wouldn't have to explain Pyle's absence. Pyle could have been shipped off somewhere else, as Da Nang isn't the only place troops went.

True that Da Nang isn't the only place troops went, but we can't assume that such a clumsy soldier was shipped off anywhere else other than home, and since he, along with Hartman, dominates the first half, we want to know what happened to him, even if it is not directly relevant to the Da Nang segment.

Exactly. Plus, their chemistry is exceptional. Hence, why I decided to just go for it and keep it in. Also added is the segment when Pyle gets his assignment (with the 1000 yard stare, that indicates he's now a 'section 8'), as I thought it was a much needed part. Also, I've slowed down the footage just before it goes to flash back, as it didn't sit right for some reason. But now it looks nice. Plus, I've got the font used for the credits, so it all looks the same now.

JetSetWilly said:
Plus, I've got the font used for the credits, so it all looks the same now.

Nice! Some may think this is a minor detail that doesn't really matter/could be overlooked but in my humble opinion, when people talk about being taken out of a film, often times (not always) when the fonts are different it can be distracting (albeit for a small amount of time). But I think faneditors should try to match the original font when possible. So well done!

Gatos said:
Nice! Some may think this is a minor detail that doesn't really matter/could be overlooked but in my humble opinion, when people talk about being taken out of a film, often times (not always) when the fonts are different it can be distracting (albeit for a small amount of time). But I think faneditors should try to match the original font when possible. So well done!

Cheers. I'm a bit ocd with certain details like that, but I think it all adds up in the end.

UPDATE:

here's the trailer I just made, and it's an homage to the original trailer from 1987 (just with different music, Wipeout by The Surfaris) and even contains stuff not in my final cut (just like normal trailers!). Enjoy (i can't seem to embed it, so here's the link instead :) )

........I hate the internet sometimes....looks like it HAS worked :-|

Another update:

Rejigged about some of the flashbacks, so instead of them being brought in during some scenes, they're brought in before scenes with fades to black.

I think this is a really strong idea. Roger Ebert hit it right on the money when he said that the boot camp scenes are fascinating, but once the movie shifts to the actual battles, it's just another generic war movie. Interspersing the scenes would be a great way to keep the interest level going throughout.

That's what I'm hoping for. I mean, I love the film completely, both the boot camp and the actual war.

The film is as tight now as I can make it, but I'm having trouble trying to make a disc with just the film on for friends to watch and give me feedback, but ive only got 4.7gb discs, it's saying the whole project is 5gb :shock:
Any tips fellas?

Based on your clip, I think this needs some further work. The dissolve to the flashback feels awkward, there seems to be a change of shot, a cut in the original, during the dissolve, which is a big no-no, and there seems to be something missing at the beginning of the flashback, like we're intended to hear Hartman's line. The dissolve at the end of the flashback seems pretty well done, though.

Dwight Fry said:
Based on your clip, I think this needs some further work. The dissolve to the flashback feels awkward, there seems to be a change of shot, a cut in the original, during the dissolve, which is a big no-no, and there seems to be something missing at the beginning of the flashback, like we're intended to hear Hartman's line. The dissolve at the end of the flashback seems pretty well done, though.

To add to Dwight's comments, both dissolves seem a bit fast for my tastes (and I had a quick dissolve in my firstling and people didn't like it). I guess it depends on people's preferences though. Storywise, just based on this clip, seems like you've got a good thing going. This has definitely piqued my interest!

That's what I thought too. I think I was a little too cut happy and cut the flashback a bit too early. I don't want to remove it, as there is some funny stuff there, but part of me is thinking a custom fade to black might be in order just before Joker meets back up with Cowboy.
Thanks for the feedback though. It'll help in the long run.

In addition to what Dwight and Gatos mentioned, I will say that the color correction on the flashbacks looks very obviously color corrected. It's too gold for my tastes. In my opinion you can just desaturate the picture for the flashbacks. That should stand out but not be too unnatural (and honestly, un-Kubrick).

Neglify said:
In addition to what Dwight and Gatos mentioned, I will say that the color correction on the flashbacks looks very obviously color corrected. It's too gold for my tastes. In my opinion you can just desaturate the picture for the flashbacks. That should stand out but not be too unnatural (and honestly, un-Kubrick).

Maybe it's "the John Huston cut..."

"[/video]

Neglify said:

I changed them to black and white after I posted that as after a while it started to hurt my eyes, and I thought it would do that to other people as well. But, I might try desaturating them, and see how they come out. I'm also thinking of putting Cowboy's introduction back with Joker's so they're in the same flashback. I think that would work much better than it does now.

This is update control, these are the facts:

ALL flashbacks are now inbetween scenes, and are not slap bang in the middle of them. The introductions of Joker, Cowboy and Gomer Pyle are in one continuous sequence now. All these scenes are in black and white, and not a goldy looking colour as B&W seems to look much better (although I may play about with colour saturation as Neglify suggested). Now runs longer, at 91 minutes. As a result, I will take down that sneak peek, and replace with a new one at some point today.

I also have a favor to ask. Seeing as I've no clue when it comes to Photoshop (call it cosmic ineptitude), and because MS Paint would just make it look cheap and tacky, would someone be willing to do a disc label and some cover art for the film for me? They will have full creative control over how it looks.

Also, just had a thought, was thinking of getting rid of the voice over from the start titles, and replacing it with the song I used for my trailer. Do you think that would work better?

Here's that sneak peek, with the full intro flashback. Runs at about 9 minutes.

Edit down!!!! After watching the thing through, it corrupts about 15 minutes from the end. Plus, I wasn't to happy with the quality of the picture as well, and this being my fist edit, I want it to look as good as it can be.

Oh, well. Back to the ol' drawing board.

Wait, I'm a little confused.

JetSetWilly said:
Edit down!!!! ... it corrupts about 15 minutes from the end...

Oh, well. Back to the ol' drawing board.

Are you canning the edit or need to rework the plot/structure?

Back
Top Bottom