• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Frozen (2013) - Flashback Edit

Raki

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OjZniUn.png

Is this edit for you?
If you know the Frozen backstory inside out then this version might not be for you. This version is also not ideal for young kids as they may not enjoy flashbacks. But if you have never seen Frozen or forgotten most of the plot (or wanted to watch it with a friend that hasn’t seen it yet) then I think you might find this version somewhat more powerful than the original.

Background:
I cut out the backstory from the beginning and added it back in as different flashbacks later on in the movie. That way a lot of the secrets about Elsa/Anna/Arendelle that are mentioned throughout the film are not only a mystery to almost all of the characters in the movie, but they are an actual mystery to the audience as well, up until they are revealed at crucial moments in the adventure.

Change List:
(This contains spoilers):
  1. The entire backstory from right after the Ice Mining up until Coronation Day is taken out. The only backstory bits remaining here are where little Anna tries to get attention from Elsa (‘knock knock’).
  2. When Anna has a heart-to-heart with Hans, fake memories are shown (as implanted by the Troll leader Grand Pabbie).
  3. [size=small][size=small]Right after Elsa is chased out of Arendelle (right before she sings ‘Let it Go’) flashbacks are shown of Elsa struggling to [size=small]control her powers as a child (“conceal, don’t feel, don’t let it show”).[/size][/size][/size]
  4. While Anna and Elsa are arguing in her ice palace, a long flashback is revealed of what really caused a rift between them so long ago.
  5. The scenes related to the parents death are completely removed from this edit and not added back in.
Would love to read your opinion!  :D

Link to IFDB page for reviews and other info: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/frozen-flashback-edit/

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an interesting idea.  :) 

Frozen really has a lot of backstory and I think some people would enjoy them better as flashbacks. I'm all in for this. The aspect of all Disney movies always brings out the kid in me. 

Only thing is this. How do you just cut everything about her parents? I think that is a major plot point in the beginning.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Exciting idea! I definitely want to hear more.

Raki

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
This is an interesting idea.  :) 

Frozen really has a lot of backstory and I think some people would enjoy them better as flashbacks. I'm all in for this. The aspect of all Disney movies always brings out the kid in me. 

Only thing is this. How do you just cut everything about her parents? I think that is a major plot point in the beginning.

Thank you so much for the interest! This is my very first post and I never dreamed anyone would care enough to respond. Even my SO will not bother to watch the edit. This website is such a cool community :D

Regarding the parents:
I am not removing all the parent scenes, only these four:
- Parents leaving on a boat
- Parents drowning in wave
- Funeral of parents that Anna attended
- Castle becoming all gloomy and Anna walking around in black clothes

These two scenes stay:
- Parents find injured Anna after playing with Elsa and take both to the Troll King
- Parents help Elsa to control her powers as she grows older

The parents' death is removed because when I watched the original, I felt that their death was really sudden and random, it confused me. To this day I am not sure why they had to die. I feel like it creates unnecessary sadness and their death was so sudden and without explanation that it felt incomplete. 

I feel like it also did not develop the story in any way or add value to the movie. The parents didn't have to die to make the castle somber and mysterious, as permanently 'closing the gates' already did that. We also did not need the parents' death to make Anna sad, as her separation from Elsa already caused that. In the current flashback, as far as the audience knows, the parents could be dead or alive. They could be in the castle or somewhere else. They simply don't feature in any way later on in the movie, in the same way they were not relevant in the original movie. The only difference is that now they are not dead for no reason.

When making the edit, I thought this was a good opportunity to get rid of their death. This was actually unrelated to the flashback theme. You could add the parents' death back in and the flashbacks would work just as well. Does that make sense? What are your thoughts on this?

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know. It's just been two months here for me.  :)

That totally checks out for me. I agree only those scenes are necessary.

Maybe just add a little of their death in flashbacks, so we know why they are alone.

Raki

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
I know. It's just been two months here for me.  :)

That totally checks out for me. I agree only those scenes are necessary.

Maybe just add a little of their death in flashbacks, so we know why they are alone.

Yeah, good point, not addressing their absence might raise questions and showing their death later on might be better. I was thinking of maybe just adding the scene where they leave, but not the scene where they die. I'll play with both and have another watch through when I've cleared my mind!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit submitted, thread moved to Pending Approval.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved back to in-the-works while some adjustments are made. Thanks.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
after some revisions, the flashback edit has been approved. for those left feeling a bit cold by the original, raki offers you greater mystery and less parental death (less as in none).

AWDGY46l.jpg

Raki

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for your patience everyone! Space Jesus wanted only the best edits to be shared and so taught me a lot over the past year about high quality rendering and video resolution. I am just sorting out how to 'publish' the edit now and after that will move this thread into the fanedits subforum rather than ITW.

Would love to hear your feedback :)

Top Bottom