• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

From Hell: The Knife Cuts, a Little Deeper...

nice..i had the same problem with black and red has well.

From Hell: The knife cuts, a little deeper. An extended edition for the film "From Hell" created by N0march

This is a long over due write up and I figured someone else by now should have reviewed this.

This review of the plot was written by Sevenarms from the imdb.com

"The infamous Jack the Ripper case set in London of 1888. The Ripper has been running amok in the Whitechapel district murdering and dissecting prostitutes. Scotland Yard Inspector Fred Abberline, aided by his partner, Peter Godley, are on the case to figure out who this serial killer is and why he is killing these women in such a brutal manner. Abberline is an opium addict and when "chasing the dragon" he is able to have visions of the future, a certain psychic ability that allows him to solve cases. As Abberline and Godley investigate the crimes, they become acquainted with the prostitutes who were friends and colleagues of the victims. Abberline begins to fall in love with Mary Kelly, one of the prostitutes, or as the nobles called them "unfortunates," being hunted down by Jack the Ripper. Abberline digs deeper and deeper into the conspiracy and attempts to solve the case before Mary Kelly is the next victim. "

MY THOUGHTS:
This is one of the few films that has slipped by many viewers (including myself) and seems to be unappreciated. You know, one of those "quiet films" where you hear about it with not knowing much of anything else. I was lucky enough to pick up the two disc set a few years back from a video store selling it used for $5.I am sure glad I did.

N0march takes this wonderfully dark and decadent film and fleshed it out much more than before. By adding in virtually all of the extra and alternate footage, he gives us a worthy of mention extended cut of the film. I seem to be saying this a lot lately, but another example where more is better.

MENUS
We have a nice static menu with one problem. The "about" section has the wording cut off on the screen. You can obviously tell what the words say, but the wording does fall out of the safe area on the left side of the screen. The wording is cut by two letters or so (example "safe" would be displayed as part of the "a" and the "fe"). I was never a big menu person. You do not need a super menu system to impress me. I would give the menus a 4, but because of the margin issues this gets a 3 (and yes the cut off still appears on a dvd player that properly displays this movie, see below)

VIDEO
The video quality on this is quite clear, though at some points you can see a little artifact noise possibly from some kind of avi conversion. The edited scenes blended in nicely though and nothing appeared to be rough.
I am giving the video a 4

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE VIDEO
The picture being a 2:35:1 ratio, anamorphic, PAL format. I had an issue with this on my player that does PAL to NTSC conversion on the fly. The film was displayed in a 1:85:1 ratio on my set rather than a 2:35:1. Oddly enough, the picture did not appear distorted but I could notice the edges on the left and right being cut off more than they should be. I tested this another player I have and on that the picture displayed fine. A little bit boggled I used the pc tool ifoedit to see what this has listed for displaying specs that might have thrown off the player. The ifo file reports this as being both "automatic pan/scan and automatic letterbox". Usually in the case of a 16x9/anamorphic pic you only need to have automatic letterbox checked. I think my first player was reading the pan/scan since I have a regular tv. I am mentioning this should you have a similar issue that you know the dvd was encoded fine, but this little flag in the ifo file might throw off your player.

AUDIO
The audio sounded crisp and clear . I do not have a 5.1 setup, but the 2.0 downgrade mix the player made had everything proportioned correctly. Nothing sounded louder or lower than it should have been. You could tell sometimes when a fade had to be used to connect various scenes. I did not find this distracting at all. Sometimes all you can do is fade since you would otherwise have no other choice unless you do not mind a jarring audio jump from one scene to another.
Audio gets a 4.

we did not get any extras on the disc and that is probably because this new cut of the film runs 130 mins compared to it's original running time of 117 mins (PAL)

OVERALL
Nomarch easily succeeded in what he wanted to do and only added more in-depth characterization to the overall story. 4 out of 5 stars from me

Thanks for taking the time to write this great review Tranzor! im glad you enjoyed it as much as i did making it.

Back
Top Bottom