• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

From Hell: Engraved In Stone

This looks very dark, very atmospheric.
The editing appears fluid, with nothing jarring.
Audio is subdued so I cannot hear flaws at this point.
Reminds me of the rainy Saturday afternoon flick.

Vultural said:
This looks very dark, very atmospheric.
The editing appears fluid, with nothing jarring.
Audio is subdued so I cannot hear flaws at this point.
Reminds me of the rainy Saturday afternoon flick.

Thanks for the positive comments!:)

I'm approaching the end and Im torn with making the ending a little darker or going all out with the nihilism and having Heather Graham's character actually die. I think the latter would be interesting but might make the narrative seem a little pointless. I'll see how I feel when I get to that point. I definately won't be ending with a cheery picture-postcard shot of her in a little cottage.:p

rsz_tumblr_lfln4cifvu1qz4ymj.jpg

TM2YC said:
. . . I definitely won't be ending with a cheery picture-postcard shot of her in a little cottage.:p

Guess she won't be skating away either.

MILLS4_1738369a.jpg

^ Probably Graham's best film. She's been in so many but that's the only good one I can think off. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've finished the edit with Graham still alive and it clocks in at 1.53.22. Will post video soon.

Think I'll render that and have a watch and decide if I'm gonna kill her off. I'm starting to think it would make the end where Depp overdoses more powerful and more explicable. His last scene before that would be attacking the chief of police at her murder site.

I'm going with the theatrical ending because it ends on his friendship with Robbie Coltrane. The far-future-Shanghai ending is nicely shot and atmospheric but is totally disconnected from the rest of the film. Plus for me, it's a bit distracting that the dude who gives Depp the death rights, stars in the hilarious china-town episode of Father Ted...:D

Deleted post

face palm

wrong thread

etc

^Wrong thread?

Would you consider including an alternative ending as Easter egg?

Vultural said:
Would you consider including an alternative ending as Easter egg?

Yes I was already planning on including whichever ending I don't go for as a DVD extra.

This is the final 50 minutes with the happy-ish ending ;-) I will start work on the unhappy ending soon. Again I've radically re-ordered scenes, added back almost all deleted material* and made the tone alot darker and more menacing (Hopefully). Also original credits music changed.

If you want to provide feedback on the workprint then you can, by viewing the 3 videos I've posted in order. This would be great feedback if anyone has the time.

The first 2 ^ have already recieved some minor changes since they were posted. And the third 50 minute has a few changes planned already.

(* A scene of Depp using his magic powers and the alternate finale were not used)

As stated above this edit is based on the DVD as I don't own the BR, but I've been wondering about doing an HD version, if it proves popular. But I just had a thought... are the deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray the same SD transfers as the DVD? Because if they are it would mean buying the BR was a pointless purchase as I couldn't cut it with the deleted scenes anyway!

Anybody own this on BR?

Coincidently, I've been reading reviews of the bluray lately and the only review or reference I found that said whether the deleted scenes are HD or not was on this website...

http://www.blurayreviews.ch/reviews/from-hell-blu-ray-review.htm

I had to translate it into english but found this sentence...

"Although the scenes are displayed in high definition, but consist only of material upscaled and visual quality of the film itself are far inferior"

So it's not looking good but this might be for a european release.
Unfortunately the details listed on the dvd compare site linked in the above post don't mention the video quality of the deleted scenes, just that they're on the disc.

But if someone's got it on their shelf that'd be better for a proper answer, obviously :)

Thanks guys. Oh well no HD I guess.

Here is the recut ending...

I've re-edited the end so Mary Kelly dies (As she did in real life). I think this better feeds into Aberline's demise. I've achieved this by recutting Ada's scenes so she now obviously steals from Mary then runs off with the money (As Netley now witnesses). Then all scenes suggesting Mary's survival have been cut. I've also made a few improvements from the last video...

- Mary photo removed and replaced with dancing transition
- Cropped and edited sleeping Mary transition added
- 2 halves of library scene stitched together
- Removed throat slashing shot
- Remixed pub-window audio
- Removed Aberline's line suggesting a deleted psychic scene
- Extended the kettle/clapping transition
- Recut and moved Netley's death
- Extended Gull/Aberline transition
- Probably others that I forget

This is the ending I'm going with I think. I feel this darker finale is a better fit with the new tone of the edit.

btw Interesting fact, that the late great Nigel Hawthrone was originally cast as Gull but had to pull out to begin his sadly unsuccesful battle with cancer. Apparently some footage of him as the ripper-shadow may still be present in the film. Ian Holm is perfect but can't help wondering what it would've been like. Something like this?

0001329-0.jpg

I'm rendering what I hope will be the final cut of this edit after reviewing and tweaking, re-reviewing and tweaking again.

I'm very proud of this one, as I've surprised myself by how much a film can be changed through the edit. I thought the theatrical cut was a camp yet scary exploitation horror but 'Engraved In Stone' is a dark, brooding and bleak film (I hope), much closer in spirit to the comic.

After having finished I felt the original cover no longer fitted with the tone of this edit so I've done it over...

(^ Click to see fullsize version)

Got a bit carried away with a whole frickin' essay on the back cover ;-)

tumblr_lrs5eyNQaC1qfi4apo1_500.gif

'From Hell: Engraved In Stone' is now done and out there. The film is now less of an exploitation whodunnit and more a disturbing portrait of moral and political corruption at all levels of 1888 London society.

alan-moore-001.jpg

It should be noted that ALAN MOORE has disassociated himself from this and all other film adaptations of his work. This edit is a fan tribute to his 'FROM HELL' comic, so I'm not claiming this is "Alan Moore's From Hell".

I will submit later this week. This edit is available as a DVD5 with chapter menus and a bonus 20 minute alternate ending - featuring different footage, different placement of scenes, alternate transitions, the alternate finale restored and a very different outcome for some of the characters. Here is what I wrote for the back of the DVD cover explaining the thoughts behind this edit...

"Writer ALAN MOORE and artist EDDIE CAMPBELL's 1996 comic 'FROM HELL' is, at 572 pages, one of the longest, most detailed, richest and most complex books in the medium. 40 pages alone are dedicated to detailing the extensive research and listing Moore's many literary and historical influences.

So it didn't come as a surprise to many that the two hour 2001 FILM ADAPTATION failed to live up to the source.

To be fair to the film's directors, THE HUGHES BROTHERS, they were faced with the formidable task of adapting something that would be practically unfilmable at a conventional length. To their credit they stuffed the film with as many visual refrences to the source as they could, reconstructed the crime scenes in meticulous detail and constructed a vast set in Prague to portray the WHITECHAPEL district.

The chief problem was that it was too conventional. The comic was a dark and disturbing look into the mind of JACK THE RIPPER, who we knew from the start. But the film was a straight whodunnit with a proxy Holmes and Watson and a romantic subplot tacked on. Some of the casting choices were very poor and HEATHER GRAHAM's accent was at times laughable. However some of the casting was outstanding including the film's lead
JOHNNY DEPP. But his efforts were for nought, as his character Abberline had been given magic powers to see into the future, rendering him a joke.

So I present my attempt to edit the film into something closer in tone, content and emphasis to the comic. Obviously in narrative and structural terms the film cannot be altered enough to make it fit the source, the gulf is just too wide. I have however removed the magic powers, removed the happy ending, toned down the romantic subplot and radically reordered the scenes. This film is now darker, bleaker and riddled with human corruption. I give you...
'FROM HELL: ENGRAVED IN STONE'."

Sadly I've decided not to do my usual "complete" cutlist, as the amount of changes are too numerous and the recutting and reordering of scenes is too extensive to contemplate the time it would take. However, here is a brief list of the major changes...

- 20 of the 22 deleted scenes cut back in (Almost all being of a darker tone)
- Order of many scenes radically re-arranged
- Film converted to high contrast B&W* to render the film more sombre and timeless
- Pop-video-style editing techniques have been removed where possible
- Abberline's magic powers are gone
- Abberline's backstory removed. His depression and addiction is just who he is now and not as a direct result of a personnal tradegy
- Godley's unlikely attack on special branch removed
- Poor performances removed or minimised
- Heather Graham is no longer a primary focus of the film**
- Gull, Prince Albert and Queen Victoria play a more significant part earlier on
- Many of the "Happy" moments have gone to keep the mood dark
- Dodgy dialogue such as Depp saying "Knob" have been trimmed
- Netley is now a more ominpresent spectre of death
- Without spoiling it, the film's ending is now less "picture-postcard-happy"
- The final scene now plays out without dialogue to heighten the unspoken emotion
- Credits music changed to something more appropriate in tone and lyrical content (It no longer features a drum 'n' bass remix of Marilyn Manson...ffs!)

* Due to the soft/low-contrast/high-saturation of the original DVD image, this has caused some visual noise in the blurrirer backgrounds in some shots as I had to be very aggressive with the contrast to get the look I was after.

** She now becomes more important as the film goes on in a natural way, due to the deaths of the other characters and other factors. Kind of like the emergence of Ripley in 'Alien'.

FANEDIT LENGTH: 109 MINUTES
ORIGINAL LENGTH: 117 MINUTES
20 DELETED SCENES RESTORED
TIME ADDED: 22 MINUTES / TIME REMOVED: 30 MINUTES

Could a kindly passing admin move this thread to the 'True Fanedits' section please?

Thread moved to True Fanedits. [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION], if you could edit your first post with the relevant info, it would save me a bit of work. Cheers :)

TV's Frink said:
Thread moved to True Fanedits. TM2YC, if you could edit your first post with the relevant info, it would save me a bit of work. Cheers :)

Done thanks.

Just finished watching this last night.
Very, very fine work.
Audio and video editing appeared seamless.
The overall tone of the story was grim, more so than the original, which I believe was your intent.
The "look" was more grindhouse than films meant to be that way.
Glad you removed Marilyn Manson from closing credits. Antony & The Johnsons was a nice choice, and a bit obscure. The Smiths, also. Neither were listed in your credits, though.
The film was dark. I mean that literally, the look was very dark with lots of blacks, grays, shadows, and little white. The black seemed to deepen as the film / narrative progressed. By the end my eyes were fatigued. When I rewatch this, I will undoubtedly increase the Brightness on my monitor. Just a comment.
Overall, a great edit, one I think a lot of members will appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom