• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (A Homecoming FanFix)

Bobson Dugnutt said:
Been working on a Criteron style cover based on the new Breakfast Club release, looks neat
I did *not* see that cover coming! :cool:
I like the focus this puts on Peter's regular life struggles. The photo on the back cover is fun but largely repeats the sentiment of the front cover, maybe replace that with an image of Spidey?

Proofreading:
- " to navigate ..." > remove the [space] before "to navigate ..."
- "web slinging" > "web-slinging"
- "his new mentor mentor ..." > remove 1x mentor
- "Peter tries to all back into ..." > "Peter tries to fall back into ..."
- "Everything that Peter holds most ..." > "Everything that Peter holds dear ..."

Any thoughts of using Uncle Ben's "with great power" saying from Raimi's Spider-Man during the rubble scene?

musiced921 said:
Any thoughts of using Uncle Ben's "with great power" saying from Raimi's Spider-Man during the rubble scene?

Seconding this suggestion ^

Or, Tobey Maguire?

EDIT: Thinking about this... There HAS to be a way to use the responsibility line naturally, otherwise it comes out of nowhere. Whose voice is that, for instance? Yeah we know it's Uncle Ben, but the movie can't rely on preconceived knowledge about things. That's my problem with the original movie: Without the preconceived knowledge within the watchers of Peter's responsibility philosophy, the film utterly and completely fails as it comes off as if he just rebels against Tony, happens to save the day and gets away with not listening again without the consequences. Of course that's not the intention, but that's the problem of not introducing Ben, or at least his moral presence and philosophy, before the climax: It just doesn't work.

Only adding the line over the rubble scene DOES work a huge ton more, but it's still lacking and confusing, from a "movie-should-stand-on-its-own" perspective.

There should be a way of introducing Uncle Ben somehow... For example a very quick flashback of Ben getting shot after Peter says: "Especially after what happened?" to Ned. Use of Amazing Spider-Man footage without seeing Andrew's face recommended. Use of Martin Sheen's face, as Marisa Tomei's husband, works, would be perfect with Cliff Robertson's line.

I don't like that idea at all.

Uncle Ben has nothing to do with this movie except being an explanation for Aunt May being protective. And that scene where he pushes rubble off himself has nothing to do with responsibility.

It would come out of nowhere.

That's the main reason I didn't put it in, there is no way to set it up neatly before the rubble scene. It works better if it's just Peter laying there silently looking at his mask. 

Its like if I suddenly had a flashback of Venom from SM3 there or something and thats what motivates him, it comes out of nowhere and wasn't set up before hand

You could start the movie with the famous line printed in text like a real quote. That's about as integrated as you could make it, Imo. 

Something formatted like the following, maybe in all caps, definitely white text on black background:

"With great power comes great responsibility."
-Ben Parker

Then end the movie with another quote after the credits. 
"Excelsior!"
-Stan Lee

I agree that it's best to leave the quote out. Feels out of nowhere and not thematically in line with the scene itself.

Made a more traditional Criteron cover 
CqHGrXn.jpg

Just finished watching the latest version of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. This is a very good edit and will easily replace the original for me.

A few notes for you, Mr. Dugnutt:

• I could have sworn there was a “2012” title on the opening scene. Did you cut that? (Maybe I’m wrong, I haven’t checked my Blu-Ray)
  • I liked delaying the reveal of Vulture until later, but I do miss the montage of Toomes’ operation with the Rolling Stones soundtrack. Is there another way to use this scene, or at least the part where Vulture flies into the lair?
  • The scene where Peter and May eat Thai food ends weirdly. Why does May seem surprised by the sticky rice pudding? We don’t know, because we don’t learn that she didn’t order it. I tried editing this scene to end at different points (e.g. “I need a new backpack” or May’s “What?” etc) and none of them really worked IMO. I would suggest adding back in the full scene. I liked seeing someone other than Tony hit on May, it was funny – I just didn’t think we needed both the store owner and the waiter doing it. (Also, Marisa Tomei’s title card in the ending titles sequence shows her surrounded by waiters, which is a reference to the Thai scene.)
  • Toomes is so much more menacing when he kills Not Tom Hardy on purpose! Well done.
  • Your replacement of the “8 years” audio works great. So does your use of the Iron Man 3 theme and the Elfman music. An idea: What do you think of ending the IM3 theme after the guy shouts “yeah Iron Man”? That way we don’t have this big blustery hero theme playing over Tony ignoring and chiding Peter, and the whole scene ends on a more reflective note.
  • You might consider cutting Spidey looking under the bus seat when he’s laying on his back (during the Shocker fight). Normally we cut to his POV, where we see all the gum under the seat, but now there’s no reason for Spidey to look around.
  • The new ending (where you’ve reordered Toomes in jail, moved the Pepper Potts proposal to post-credits, added Spider-Man theme by Ramones, etc) is wonderful. However, there’s some kind of high pitched noise right before the Ramones song starts (sounds like a harmonica) that I don’t think is from either the song or the original movie. It's really jarring.
  • The cut back to Tony after the titles sequence could use some finessing IMO. The background music cuts in too hard, and the shot sits on his face too long before anything happens. I edited it a little (I believe I cut 10 frames from the shot of Tony so the door opens immediately, and then I did a 7 frame fade-in of the scene’s audio, while also looping the Ramones’ cymbal over that part). Check it out (password: fanedit):
  • Finally, a couple notes for the titles sequence: 1) I would crop the bottom of the “Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man” title card, so that the word “Spider-Man” is more centered (I did this in the video above). Right now, you have a bunch of empty space under the title (which makes sense, it used to say “Homecoming” there). 2) The credit you added for yourself looks great, only one problem – the “FANEDITED BY” text should be smaller than your name (check out how all the other credits are formatted).

Thanks for a great edit! :)

addiesin said:
I don't like that idea at all.

Uncle Ben has nothing to do with this movie except being an explanation for Aunt May being protective. And that scene where he pushes rubble off himself has nothing to do with responsibility.

It would come out of nowhere.

Yes the rubble scene admittedly is not about responsibility, but the movie is. So while okay, you wouldn't put the line over the rubble scene, we need that context. Peter is constantly trying to prove himself to Tony, who has been telling him to stay away from Vulture. Peter fails miserably with the boat scene. Later when he has the chance of catching Vulture, he takes it and eventually defeats him, and Tony's all like "I was wrong about you, you're total Avengers material, here's your totally awesome new Iron Spider suit."

The problem with this is that, without the context of the responsibility philosophy, it comes off as if Peter is still trying to prove himself to Tony and succeeds. This is my main problem with the movie. We need to understand before the climax why Peter's still going at Vulture. You can't count on whether the viewer watched Civil War/any other Spider-Man movie or not. The movie has to stand on its own.

That being said, it's not movie breaking and at the end he does refuse Tony's offer and stays low to the ground, which is good.

addiesin said:
You could start the movie with the famous line printed in text like a real quote. That's about as integrated as you could make it, Imo. 

Something formatted like the following, maybe in all caps, definitely white text on black background:

"With great power comes great responsibility."
-Ben Parker

Then end the movie with another quote after the credits. 
"Excelsior!"
-Stan Lee

While I like this idea, in my opinion what's best is either opening with a flashback of Peter saying "When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you" from Civil War, OR flashing back to that same scene during the dance when Peter's looking through the glass door contemplating. I'm a fan of the latter.

Edit now on ifdb. Thread moved.

I've got an updated and final version with everything Problem Eliminator had previously mentioned. 

It's also up on the IFDB

This looks phenomenal! The ship scene edit has me pretty excited to see what you're going to do!

Made a trailer for the release on Reddit, added it to the first post too

Just watched this edit Bobson, excellent stuff and the re-scoring was very well done especially at the Staten Island Ferry scene. Just tried to leave a review but there seems to be an issue with the 'write review' button which is fine on other edits. Tried it on two devices in different browsers. Might be worth letting the admins knows if it persists...

I just watched this in full for the first time myself and boy did I enjoy it, so I'll review it for myself.

It's a good light pruning of a film I enjoyed in the cinema, but haven't rewatched since. 
I really felt bad for Peter being trapped under the rubble as he was screaming for help and its really effective. I was more scared of The Vulture this time around as his first appearence is grabbing Spidey mid jump and carrying him up like a 1000 feet and just dropping him. He seems more determined as well as he takes no bull from Not Tom Hardy. It feels like he could just kill Peter at any moment. Peter also seems smarter and more able as he tries to fix the ferry without Karen. Ned is a little more restrained, but I feel could of been trimmed a tad bit more. The trimmed jokes are all seemless with the exception of the Thai waiter. Scene ends abruptly, but it works for the most part. The new score in certain places works well, the IM3 theme during the ferry sounds great and was a missed as the IM3 theme was his most memorable one IMO. Moving the Toomes in prison bit from during the credits works well as there is no reason it should of been put there. Same with the Black Panther mid-credits scene. That should of been the ending to the film, but I digress. One thing that should of been cut out was during Peter's video at the start when he says "Hey everyone" as it doesn't match up with Civil War, it was only like that in the trailer and not the final film, but maybe that's nitpicky. 

The video quality was a little soft for the most part, but was still HD. Audio was crisp and I didn't notice a thing. Except for a bit of a harsh cut during the ferry scene, but its able to be overlooked. 

Overall rating: 9/10
AV Quality: 8/10
Visual Editing: 10/10
Audio Editing: 9/10
Narritive: 9/10 (didn't change much here)
Enjoyment: 9/10

ROFL, the absolute madman

Has anyone reviewed their own edit before?

Bobson Dugnutt said:
Pf29xk3.png

I liked Homecoming, I liked it alot. But there were some very minor issues I had with the film. So using a lot of the ideas from another thread on the site, I thought that I'd make my own cut of the film

GENERAL GOALS:
- Trim some of the mediocre jokes so that the better ones shines through
- Cut some minor nitpicks I had with the film
- Rescore some scenes for added emotional impact
- Fixing a major continuity issue (mostly)
- Very slightly adjusting the colour-grade (saturation and black values altered)

CUTLIST:
- Cut the "Actually, it's Native American, but whatever" joke by the Tinkerer
- Cutting straight to the Marvel logo after Toomes says "The world's changing, it's time we change too" to avoid the 8 years thing
- Cut both hot Aunt May jokes in the deli and resturant
- Cut Ned asks Peter a bunch of questions about being Spider-Man
- Replace “Oh Yeah” by Yello during Ferris Bueller gag with correct movie audio
- Cut Toomes saying “Does this work?” and "I thought this was the Anti-Gravity gun" after he kills Not Tom Hardy 
- Cut Ned saying “That’s awesome” after Peter says he was almost vapourised
- Cut Toomes saying "8 years and not a word from the feds..." (need to figure out how to do this)
- Cut instant kill gag during ferry
- Cut Karen telling Peter where to web the ferry together and that he was 98% successful
- Rescored Tony saving the Ferry with the Iron Man 3 Theme
- Cut gum under bus seat joke during Shocker #2 fight after Homecoming
- Rescored rubble scene with some classic Elfman (Thanks to darthrush)
- Move Toomes in prison to right after Liz says goodbye to Peter
- Cut close-up of Audi dashboard on the way to Avengers Facility
- Cut Tony/Pepper proposal scene
- Replace end credits song with The Ramones Spider-Man theme
- Added credits for Bobson Dugnutt
- Replaced title card during credits
- New mid-credits scene

SOURCES;
-  Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
-  Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (2017)
- Spider-Man: Original Motion Picture Score (2002)
- Spider-Man 2: Original Motion Picture Score (2004)
-  Iron Man 3 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (2013)

You had me until I saw you cut the Tony/Pepper scene. That's too important to cut. It'd fit better in an Iron Man movie... but we probably won't get another one.

He didn’t cut it. It’s an after credits scene that works very well.

Reviews have now been fixed thanks to Q2, so anyone that wanted to leave one now can.

Back
Top Bottom