• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Free Guy Free City

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's Official! I've started work on my reworked version of Free Guy. The original movie had too much fluff in certain areas and not enough depth in others. This edit aims to re-focus the film on the relationship between the two protagonists using Guy as a vessel. This edit will reincorporate the deleted scenes and cut anything that doesn't contribute to the story or comedy. Less fan service, less beating around the bush, more fun romantic comedy.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe take a page from P-Funk and title it “Free Guy and the City Will Follow”?

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, I titled the edit the way I did because of a poster I found that I planned on using for my edit. Due to the film being a video game parody, they made a series of posters that mimicked popular game artwork, one of them being Grand Theft Auto, of which the film seems to take the most inspiration from. So I took that poster, and edited out the release date to use as the artwork for my edit specifically, adopting the subtitle added only in that poster. Due to this, I am not open to changing the name as I already found the perfect artwork and want to instead focus on the movie.
free-city-poster-comparison_orig.png

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In preparation for starting this edit, I re-watched Free Guy with a notepad and documented every scene I plan on cutting/trimming. The plan is written in past tense as I intend on using it as my Cuts & Edits list when I'm done with the editing itself. The plan goes as follows.
-Added fanedit warning
-Removed opening scene
-Removed narration from Guy
-Removed the backstreet deal scene
-Added Guy And Buddy Hit The Beach scene
-Removed coffee shop scene
-Barely trimmed scene where Guy gets his glasses
-Barely trimmed initial encounter with the cops
-Removed Wrecking ball song cue
-Trimmed Life Itself interview
-Trimmed Millie reviewing her recording of the map
-Added Hot Nuts Gets Blown scene
-Removed Good F***ing Morning Goldie (felt out of character)
-Greatly trimmed YouTubers videos
-Removed removed Jeopardy scene
-Removed kid interview from same scene
-Removed Blue Shirt Guy internet videos
-Removed Antoine rebooting the server
-Removed the scenes of Millie trying to retrigger Guy's memory
-Added extended NPC Rally scene
-Removed more YouTube vids
-Removed music strings from the fight with Dude
-Removed scene of Guy's reunion with Buddy
-Added Fanedit.org logo

I honestly didn't have much issue with the Dude scene like some others did but I did agree upon removing the server reset plotline as it literally goes nowhere and is counteracted immediately after. I also ended the movie earlier as this isn't a story about Guy, but a story about Millie's relationship with the other person whose name I forgot. I instead plan on cutting to credits after the kiss as the scene that follows isn't funny enough to warrant its use as it disrupts the flow of the main plotline and ruins the sacrifice that Buddy made.
I'm also on the fence of whether or not I want to add the pre-credits as it feels like it disrupts the tone of the ending, should I perhaps cut to the regular credits?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Taika Waititi but felt his acting here was too over the top to be particularly believable as a character. Do you feel similarly? I think he was going for a "J.P. from Grandmas Boy" thing, but all the quotes and references were slightly too much.
"Whatchu talking bout, Willis" for example, he said very jokingly at a moment where he should be genuinely concerned with the events of the film. I think they just let him improv and then kept too much of it.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I felt Antoine's character was enjoyable is small doses but he did overstay his welcome. As you can already see though, I plan on cutting part of it out. I just followed by rule of 3 for editing:
1 - Is it cool?
2 - Is it funny?
3 - Is it critical to the plot?
Scenes which didn't tick at least one of those boxes are to be scrapped and sent to the void.

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I may have missed it on your list, but the "White privilege" line, as it's stupid and is only there to virtue signal.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I may have missed it on your list, but the "White privilege" line, as it's stupid and is only there to virtue signal.
Where’s that? I don’t remember seeing it and if it’s not on my list it might just be because I didn’t feel it broke my rule of 3. If you give me a time stamp I can give it a check and see if it actually needs any changing.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished the workprint and it clocks in at 1h 38m. I've also slightly changed what I cut and what I kept as I went through it a second time, partly because it was too difficult to change, and partly because I felt it wasn't as good the second time. If there's anybody who wants to preview my workprint, PM me with proof of ownership.

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I would love to see your workprint.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don’t know what I did, but this version is so much more powerful. After previewing this edit, I was brought to literal tears. I haven’t cried in so long and this movie managed to strike me where it hurt. It’s amazing how taking less time to force feed the plot and more time developing the characters has created such a significantly stronger narrative. Ladies and gentlemen, I believe I found the heart of Free Guy, and I can’t wait for you to see.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still have two scenes I need to edit before I update the workprint. I also had the idea of changing the credits to better fit thematically. I already know what song to use but the original video for the credits will need to be replaced entirely so that's going to be a new edit. Overall, I'm extremely happy with how this edit's been coming along and hope to share it with all of you.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m scrapping this version and starting from scratch! I love the work-print but there’s a Humble Bundle discount on editing software that actually supports 5.1 surround so I’m going to recut this edit in the new software. This means it’s going to take longer as I need to relearn this new software but the creative choices are already made so I’ll figure it out.
P.S. This also means all future edits will include 5.1 surround and Blu-ray versions.
UPDATE: Computer doesn't meet minimum system requirements. I'll see about upgrading my GPU but those darn scalpers are making that neigh impossible.

Last edited:

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, was away for a bit. Do def want to see this.

I went to pick up a title, but they didn't have it, so I will have to order off of Amazon in the next day or so.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a lead on an animation grade GPU. It’s 7 times faster than my current one and has 4GB of VRAM. I still need to rustle up the dough but once I procure the new GPU it’ll be smooth sailing from there.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A wise editor said "cut and keep cutting until you've cut too much. THEN pull it back." I plan to follow this principle in this edit and will be re-inserting several scenes I cut but I will be rearranging them for the sake of pacing. This edit will focus on Guy's relationship with buddy and his desire to meet the girl of his dreams THEN, it will follow Keys and Millie for a while following Guy's first incident with the police. After that, the edit resumes as normal.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just an update. I'm not dead. This edit is nearly complete and I just need to finish up the final touches and render, then I need beta testers so if you're willing to provide feedback in the next week I'd love to hear your thoughts and hopefully catch any potential errors I may have missed.

Ninja-Trix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have completed my updated work print and hopefully final version of Free Guy Free City. It adds 2 minutes and cuts about 14. If there’s anybody who would be willing to preview my edit prior to me releasing it publicly, please DM me.

Top Bottom