• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Free Editing Software

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would add FastFlix to Fan Edit Basics. It's similar to Handbrake, but is designed exclusively for UHD content.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1_2-768x415.jpg

VSDC Video Editor Pro

VSDC Video Editor Pro non-linear video editing suite for creating a movie of any complexity – from a family card, a drone or action camera clip in the UHD quality to a business presentation with a wide array of charts and diagrams.

Key features:

• Import from any devices and cams, including GoPro and drones. All formats supported. Сurrently it is the only free video editor that allows users to export in a new H265/HEVC codec, something essential for those working with 4K and HD
  • Everything for hassle-free basic editing: cut, crop and merge files, add titles and favorite music, outline text
  • Visual effects, advanced color correction, LUTs and trendy Instagram-like filters
  • All multimedia processing done from one app: video editing capabilities reinforced by a video converter, a screen capture, an audio recorder, a video capture, a disc burner and a YouTube uploader
  • Non-linear editing: edit several files with simultaneously
  • Easy export to social networks: special profiles for YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Twitter and Instagram
  • 3D and 360 video editor: convenient editing of panoramic and VR footage
  • High quality export – no conversion quality loss, double export speed even of HD files due to hardware acceleration
  • Stabilization tool: turn your shaky or jittery footage into a more stable video automatically
    Voice over: record your speech in sync with your video.
  • Essential toolset for professional video editing: blending modes, Mask tool, advanced multiple-color Chroma Key, free transform tool, Audio Spectrum and noise remover

I personally have tried several free editing software's and some of the less expensive paid ones. I always come back to VSDC. They are making more and more improvements, adding new features and I can do pretty much anything I need to do with it. I was able to either figure out on my own or find a YouTube video easily enough to use this with zero training (unless you want to count the occasional YouTube video lol).

bradwestness

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've mostly used Shotcut myself, which is good but a little prone to crashing (which has taught me to save obsessively, haha). But I've heard a lot of good things about Da Vinci Resolve, curious if anybody has any thoughts on that one.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not exactly editing software, but I thought this was worth mentioning. A lot of great audio plugins now available for free for a limited time (about 11 days). Worth about £800. Possibly more interesting for the musicians among us, but certainly also something that could be handy for some audio editing situations in fanediting: https://www.native-instruments.com/...6_3Hw8xZrTdkOFAnyGZned3dcqyVd7-SmXQe9Ze65yImc

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've mostly used Shotcut myself, which is good but a little prone to crashing (which has taught me to save obsessively, haha). But I've heard a lot of good things about Da Vinci Resolve, curious if anybody has any thoughts on that one.
I first started fan editing on Shotcut, but when someone recommended Resolve to me, I gave it a try, and since then, I've never looked back. I will let you know ahead of time that it can be a little daunting at first, but there are plenty of videos on YouTube that come with some great explanations. Plus, the Help section on Resolve contains both a manual, and a link to some training videos to help get you started! So, all in all, yes, I recommend trying out Resolve if you haven't!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My recommendation is do what I did. Try out the different free ones and ask yourself if you can create what you want with that software? How easy is it for you to do it with that software? Can you get into more complex projects that you have in mind for the future with it? Then pick the one that will suit you best. I feel like everyone has their favorite and there is no right or wrong answer here. It's really up to you.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a cinematographer/editor I can tell you the free version of DaVinci Resolve is hands down the best free video editing software out there.
Is it better than Vegas for $30? Serious question...

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking as a Vegas user and with my limited knowledge of DaVinci, I would guess DaVinci is superior overall (it's certainly used more often by professionals). It definitely is for colour grading. But I hate the interface and I'm used to all the keyboard shortcuts in Vegas, so I continue to use that. It also doesn't support the codecs I favour. Every now and again I will import footage into DaVinci to use specific plugins, but for comfort reasons I stick to vegas for my main workflow.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't use Vegas but I know many a great editor on here that does. DaVinci will let you customize it so if you are used to a certain work flow you can kinda replicate it. But I'm still learning and bouncing between it and my other software.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The barrier to entry if you already have a workflow that suits is what has deterred me from using Resolve - as Scrib mentions, the lack of codec support and different layout to Vegas involves substantially more learning than I have been concerned about, thus far.

But the effects options (I saw some great stuff about generating fake snow effects using particle generators) and the colour grading mean that it provides a lot of functionality if you learn your way around it.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right now my focus is learning the editing tab. I have it set up simular to what I'm used to. Then I am slowly adding Fairlight into what I'm doing. I'm mostly learning the audio side to start with as I have software that I can do my physical editing and create a lossless file to bring into Resolve

sir_tibbs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I believe so. The paid version is an absolute beast. The free version has 90% of the paid versions features. You can edit, do pro level fx, and mix audio all with pro level interfaces and features.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
K, perhaps I'll give it a shot. Vegas has been very kind to me since I abandoned Flowblade (kdenlive clone).

Top Bottom