• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Free Editing Software

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey DigMod, just wanna say thanks for always sharing these!  I've downloaded but not tried out the one above.  

FYI for anyone else taking the plunge, you'll need your own code (the one above didn't work form me).  They ask you to share a link via Twitter or FB but if you just click on the link, it opens a new tab but if you go back to the old tab there's your key, regardless of if you have actually share it or not (or if you don't have a Twitter or FB account - like me).

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Chim Richalds said:
Hey DigMod, just wanna say thanks for always sharing these!  I've downloaded but not tried out the one above.  

Ofcourse! :)

FYI for anyone else taking the plunge, you'll need your own code (the one above didn't work form me).  They ask you to share a link via Twitter or FB but if you just click on the link, it opens a new tab but if you go back to the old tab there's your key, regardless of if you have actually share it or not (or if you don't have a Twitter or FB account - like me).

Thanks for the heads up. I tried it on two different browsers and it gave me the same code so I figured it was generic.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure if this one has been posted before....

HITFILM EXPRESS

It has a free demo version.  Appears to have some very impressive FX features.

https://fxhome.com/express

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Not sure if this one has been posted before....

HITFILM EXPRESS

It has a free demo version.  Appears to have some very impressive FX features.

https://fxhome.com/express

The same company also has a free plugin pack called Ignite Express that features some of the same effects. It works with Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, and others.

https://fxhome.com/ignite-express

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CyberLink PowerDirector 16

box_PDR16-Gen_eng-l-188x200.png

https://sharewareonsale.com/s/cyberlink-powerdirector-sale

CyberLink PowerDirector 16 makes your home movies more engaging! A range of quick-to-learn and easy-to-use creation modes put you on the fast track to video editing, so you spend less time learning and more time creating. Video editing tools: Basic tools (trim, cut, title, transition, PiP, Chroma key, MagicStyle, Slideshow)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Only an hour or so left on this one, but this is a free DRM removal tool.

84afe68b4cc1d5925421b7812332c333.png

https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/drmare-m4v-converter-for-windows/

"As its name suggests, this software is specially for removing iTunes DRM and converting iTunes M4V videos such as iTunes movies, TV shows, Extras. Yet it can do much more than that. You can use it to convert any other common videos like your home films or videos shot by yourself as well. Besides, it has the powerful features which are not available from other competitors. For example, you can edit your videos like add a watermark, audio effect, trim/cut videos and you can preview the videos during editing without exporting. All in all, this is an almighty software that can meet any requirements of your daily video converting."

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone ever come across DaVinchi Resolve? It seems insane, but it's professional editing software and it's free. I am yet to give it a try, but my mate's started trialing it for his work and said he hasn't run into any issues so far and can't work out why it would be free. He's strongly recommended I check it out. 

There is a paid version of it, but apparently the main upgrade is the advantage of being able to do collaborative editing with people via cloud, along with extra plugins.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
WidsMob FilmPack

cross-en-200x125.png

"WidsMob FilmPack applies stunning analog photo filters for photos of Digital cameras and smartphone. It helps photographers make analog photos more attractive with colors, contrast and gain. 4 different color rendition profiles, 28 types of camera profiles, 15 options for color modes, and 25 film gain profiles. Whether vintage rendering, or have fun with colors, you can always find a suitable photo filter. Reproduce classic films, such as Kodak Ektachrome, Fuji Velvia 50, Fuji Superia, Ilford HPS 800 and more.

It should be an all-in-one filmpack with 4 different color renditions, vibrant and dramatic color for Color Positive Film, classic and nostalgic for Color Negative Film, vintage-inspired Black and White Film, and special color rendering Cross Processed Film. It just rediscovers the stunning photo effects of analog film. Color rendering digital photos with Contrast, Saturation and Special color tones. Adjust the contrast will make the photographs more flexibility. It brings out the nuances in the color rendering photos, which photographs can select the classic one accordingly. Even for the Black and white photographs, WidsMob FilmPack is able to reproduce hundreds of results with different profiles and contrasts easily. Analog film grain is essential to give a vintage aspect for the digital images. What is more important, it also makes them looks in a different texture. Not only for the original Film Grains of the camera profiles, but also adjust the size and intensity to make the effects special. Just apply the film grains for the digital photos within one click to make everything different. Support RAW files of popular cameras. The Before-and-After mode enables photographs to enjoy an instant preview for the photo filters. Just need one click to restore the photos to default setting or original status. Zoom features to check the details for the stunning effects."

https://sharewareonsale.com/s/free-widsmob-filmpack-100-discount

While this software only works on photos rather than videos, any color grading that you apply to a photo using it can be used to regrade a video using color matching in some video editing programs (presuming the photo was taken from the video being edited), or used to make a LUT using Dr Dre's Color Matching Tool.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1_2-768x415.jpg

VSDC Video Editor Pro

VSDC Video Editor Pro non-linear video editing suite for creating a movie of any complexity – from a family card, a drone or action camera clip in the UHD quality to a business presentation with a wide array of charts and diagrams.

Key features:

• Import from any devices and cams, including GoPro and drones. All formats supported. Сurrently it is the only free video editor that allows users to export in a new H265/HEVC codec, something essential for those working with 4K and HD
  • Everything for hassle-free basic editing: cut, crop and merge files, add titles and favorite music, outline text
  • Visual effects, advanced color correction, LUTs and trendy Instagram-like filters
  • All multimedia processing done from one app: video editing capabilities reinforced by a video converter, a screen capture, an audio recorder, a video capture, a disc burner and a YouTube uploader
  • Non-linear editing: edit several files with simultaneously
  • Easy export to social networks: special profiles for YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Twitter and Instagram
  • 3D and 360 video editor: convenient editing of panoramic and VR footage
  • High quality export – no conversion quality loss, double export speed even of HD files due to hardware acceleration
  • Stabilization tool: turn your shaky or jittery footage into a more stable video automatically
    Voice over: record your speech in sync with your video.
  • Essential toolset for professional video editing: blending modes, Mask tool, advanced multiple-color Chroma Key, free transform tool, Audio Spectrum and noise remover

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

So after DECADES of being a MAC user, I have thrown in a towel and bought a PC.

And I am sort of itching to try some fan editing again.  But as of this moment, by budget is broken LOL.

So looking at different free video editors (unless Humble Bundle offers something lol) and just thought I would get input from anyone who has or is using any freeware, and which ones work best for our style of movie fan editing.

I would definitely prefer to edit in and export MP4s and work in HD on some projects.

The Top Three that seem to keep coming up are

--DaVinci Resolve
--HitFilm Express
--Lightworks

Though I have read many good reviews for Olive and Shotcut too.

Any and all thoughts, reviews and/or suggestions, are appreciated.   :D

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Any and all thoughts, reviews and/or suggestions, are appreciated.   :D

Lightworks is fab. I started using it in May and it's pretty quick to pick up with plenty of free online tutorials. It exports to MP4 at 720 for free but you can pay to use the HD export features among other things. As a novice I cannot speak to how it compares to other NLE's but it certainly does what I need at the moment.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
(unless Humble Bundle offers something lol)

Bob, I have two versions of Vegas I bought on Humble Bundle, one from 2017 and one from 2018. I have "claimed" the purchases but haven't used them, I think I can request that they change one to unclaimed so I can gift it to you. If you're interested let me know and I'll contact their support people. I intended to edit more on PC but have been mostly editing on Mac, kinda the opposite situation. Want to save one for when I do eventually get a new PC, but that means I have an extra copy.

You've helped me so much I would love to be able to help you out too.

If Bob's not interested, sorry folks but this is not an open offer.

Edit: Successfully gifted. Enjoy!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"addiesin" you are far too generious.  I honestly do not know what to say... WOW! 

I was originally planning on buying Sony Vegas, so I made sure the Dell I ordered met all the specs.  Unfortunately I exhausted my budget at this time on Real World stuff lol.  

DaVinci Resolve looks cool.  Especially for Colour Correction.   Though looking at their specs, even for the free version, I am not sure my Dell is powerful enough for the Fusion FX option?

Lightworks... I was strongly leaning towards this one.  It seems very similar to Final Cut and traditional NLEs.  The only drawback I can see as @"Malthus" pointed out is the limited export option.  But since I will be learning from scratch both how to use a PC and a new NLE, I will probably just start with some SD projects anyways.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
@"addiesin" you are far too generious.  I honestly do not know what to say... WOW! 

I'd recommend taking him up on his offer. It's always good to have multiple programs so that you can try them out to see what works best for you. Sometimes, one might be better than another for a particular project. And Vegas is definitely one of the best options.

I was originally planning on buying Sony Vegas, so I made sure the Dell I ordered met all the specs.  Unfortunately I exhausted my budget at this time on Real World stuff lol.  

DaVinci Resolve looks cool. Especially for Colour Correction. Though looking at their specs, even for the free version, I am not sure my Dell is powerful enough for the Fusion FX option?

What are your new computer's specs?

I haven't used Resolve much yet, but from all that I've heard, it's extremely capable (even in its free version, which is what I have). The catch is that some computers aren't powerful enough to run it very well.

Lightworks... I was strongly leaning towards this one.  It seems very similar to Final Cut and traditional NLEs.  The only drawback I can see as @"Malthus" pointed out is the limited export option.  But since I will be learning from scratch both how to use a PC and a new NLE, I will probably just start with some SD projects anyways.

I tried Lightworks a little years ago, but found it confusing and gave up on it. It might have gotten more user-friendly since then (or maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance), but the limited output options have put me off of it. That wouldn't matter for SD projects, though.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
I'd recommend taking him up on his offer. It's always good to have multiple programs so that you can try them out to see what works best for you. Sometimes, one might be better than another for a particular project. And Vegas is definitely one of the best options.

Exactly my thoughts, but already taken care of. Bob and I took the discussion to PM and he has successfully acquired Vegas.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for mentioning DaVinci Resolve. I was not aware of this software--or that it has a free version(!!). I've been using Pinnacle Studio for a few years now for video I shoot (no, I'm not a filmmaker by any stretch); it's worked well overall, but the UI gets clunky and it's still a bit unstable with occasional crashes. Just playing yesterday afternoon with Resolve, I see several editing pain points are addressed.

Cero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw a notification about this thread on the Discord and I thought I should chime in, for whatever it's worth - I've got a less powerful computer and I couldn't get Resolve working, but I found an alternative I'm very happy with called HitFilm Express. I still spend a lot of time watching tutorials to learn how to do new things with it because of how technical it is, and there's a lot of features locked behind a paywall - including dark mode, unless you get hold of one of the older versions - but in general I'm very happy with it, and I've found it to be the most responsive video editor I've ever used.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know this thread has mostly been used for free video editors, but there is more to fan editing than just cutting video. Starting with basics and then getting more advanced as we go...

Fan Edit Basics
Makemkv - Blu Ray disc ripping tool
TsMuxer - video and audio stream extraction tool for Blu Ray rips.
Handbrake - video conversion tool (for final delivery format after editing)
Davinci Resolve - free video editing, as others mentioned

Audio
Cakewalk - pro grade music making software, went open source a few years ago.
Audacity - open source audio editor
Spitfire Labs and BBC Orchestra - VST orchestra instruments released for free officially (make music)
BBC Sound Effects - sound effects released officially
Freesound.org - open source sound effect database
Incompetech, soundly - free to use music

PaulStretch - extreme audio stretching without losing pitch.

VFX
GIMP, Photopea, and others - Photoshop alternatives
EB Synth - style transfer tool for video (add visual fx)
Boris FX Particle Illusion standalone - powerful particle emitter tool (add visual fx)
Blender - open source 3d program with game engine, video editor, 2d and 3d animation, modeling and rigging and texturing capabilities, and a lot more (add visual fx, create scenes from scratch, use as video editor?)
Unreal Engine - it's free, they use it to make The Mandalorian. Try it?

AI Tools
Spleeter, lalal.ai, Vocalremover.org - AI voice removal, search around also for similar services, most are new and free.
Remini - Android app that upscales and attempts to add detail to human faces (use in conjunction with other software to upscale deleted scenes?)
Rife - generate new frames to create slow motion or high frame rate.

misc resources
Unsplash.com - free to use photos
productioncrate.com - they do sell stuff but ignore that. sign up for an account and get 5 free downloads a day, the site is split up into footage, VFX elements, sound fx, music, etc. the free stuff is useful, just go back a few days in a row to get more than the initial 5, the download limit won't roll over, it resets each day. Warning, even just looking through the free stuff, this site is a deep rabbit hole.

I'll come back and add links when I have time, and will probably add more to the list as more comes to mind. Google will help until then.
Edit: added more free tools to the list, no links though

Last edited:
Top Bottom