• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Frank Herbert's Dune - The Spence Edit

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would highly recommend you check out Dune on HBO before it leaves, I'm a lifelong fan of the story and I thought it was fantastic. It's very different than the one I'm editing, but the comparisons are quite fun.

Once Dune Part 2 comes out in 2023, I'm certain that these two films will be the definitive adaptation of Dune. I actually can't wait to see if I can edit those into one film as well!
Of course you will be able to work your magic on them!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got a render out. Picture quality is great, found some audio issues, specifically with my music replacement being a bit too low. Was worried about drowning out the dialogue and I think I over compensated. I also found a few jump frames where I messed up the cropping, which I expected. I had to hand crop almost every shot in this edit, and it's a long edit. There's bound to be some little issues I missed.

Personally, I think this might be the best edit I've done, or at least my favorite, and I'm committed to making sure the release version is as perfect as is possible. So it's going to spend a little more time in the oven. I've got a couple of test screeners out to get some more eyeballs on it, but I won't be doing any further test versions than that, as I want as many people as possible to see it at it's 100% best.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So there's been some more significant changes, scenes removed, others added back in, and a lot of re-ordering scenes in the middle of the film.

These are all necessary changes that really improve the film. This version is leaps and bounds better than the old one. However, that of course leads to more testing, rendering, etc. Definitely want this out by Thanksgiving if possible.

Big shoutout to @ArtisDead and @bionicbob for being huge helps with this edit. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good as it is right now without their assistance and great input.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now, that's a trailer! Love it! And love that font!😉
I only made the trailer so I could use the font more.

For reference, there's been some feedback on the font I use in the edit, but it's the font from the Dune 2000 computer game, I like it and it makes me happy, I am not changing it, and I'm adding subtitles all over the place just so I can use it more! :cool:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my, that trailer makes the miniseries look A LOT more exciting than it really is (in its unedited form)! I'm convinced I'll love this cut, never watched the old one because I didn't own the original but I've since ordered it in anticipation to this release.

And I love the Albertus font. One of the reasons is that the Lynch version (of which I'm a big fan) also used it, so it's so very fitting!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my, that trailer makes the miniseries look A LOT more exciting than it really is (in its unedited form)! I'm convinced I'll love this cut, never watched the old one because I didn't own the original but I've since ordered it in anticipation to this release.

And I love the Albertus font. One of the reasons is that the Lynch version (of which I'm a big fan) also used it, so it's so very fitting!
Oh...yeah! You will love this edit! Actually, it's very likely that most everyone will. Spence believes its his best edit. From what I've seen...I agree!

Last edited:

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! What a trailer, Spence! I love the music especially. I commented on reddit, but I'll comment here too. I cannot wait for the release of your edit. This version of Dune is not well remembered by most people, but I'm so glad you're showing the value of one of the few successful productions attempting to bring this massive story to life onscreen. William Hurt just is Leto Atredies for me. I don't know why. Compared with Villanueve's version, this mini-series will be a tough sell for most people. But, I want to see your take on the best version of this production so we can put it in a vault and say "in the early 2000's an attempt was made to do the Dune story justice." What I appreciate the most about this production is how much it diverges visually from Lynch's version. It's a completely different interpretation of the material. I thought Villanueve's relied heavily on calling back to the look and sound of Lynch's vision. But this one is just...wild.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! What a trailer, Spence! I love the music especially. I commented on reddit, but I'll comment here too. I cannot wait for the release of your edit. This version of Dune is not well remembered by most people, but I'm so glad you're showing the value of one of the few successful productions attempting to bring this massive story to life onscreen. William Hurt just is Leto Atredies for me. I don't know why. Compared with Villanueve's version, this mini-series will be a tough sell for most people. But, I want to see your take on the best version of this production so we can put it in a vault and say "in the early 2000's an attempt was made to do the Dune story justice." What I appreciate the most about this production is how much it diverges visually from Lynch's version. It's a completely different interpretation of the material. I thought Villanueve's relied heavily on calling back to the look and sound of Lynch's vision. But this one is just...wild.
It certainly out Lynches Lynch's version. Say that fast!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's very stagey, with the hokey costumes and painted backdrops, but I actually like that about it. It feels more like a big 60's/70's epic than a modern film.

The biggest thing that holds this version back is the year 2000 tv special effects. The worms are admittedly effective, maybe even better than the new one, but everything else is pretty rough to look at. My hope is that people will be enjoying the story/music/editing enough to see past it.

Thanks for the feedback!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, something that gets overlooked is Alec Newman as Paul. I think he's fantastic. Haven't seen the back half of what Chalamet is doing with it, but I'm pretty confident in saying Newman is the best Paul out of the adaptations we got.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, something that gets overlooked is Alec Newman as Paul. I think he's fantastic. Haven't seen the back half of what Chalamet is doing with it, but I'm pretty confident in saying Newman is the best Paul out of the adaptations we got.
Y...you...take it back! Agent Cooper is far better! Wait...that's a different show...I think...

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points

You mean I'm not the only one to do that? :LOL: Thankfully I run Plex, so the AU version I got doesn't matter (MakeMKV doesn't care about region codes). I'll have to binge it to see where the edit came from.

I'm a fontaholic, too. Albertus is fine in the right context. Dune seems like an appropriate context.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You mean I'm not the only one to do that? :LOL: Thankfully I run Plex, so the AU version I got doesn't matter (MakeMKV doesn't care about region codes). I'll have to binge it to see where the edit came from.

I'm a fontaholic, too. Albertus is fine in the right context. Dune seems like an appropriate context.
Did you get the one from Umbrella Entertainment? I'm pretty sure it's region free.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I created my own font using my dog's various scratches on my hardwood floor. Its called pawsome.ttf.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you get the one from Umbrella Entertainment? I'm pretty sure it's region free.
Yep, that's the one. It says region ABC, so I guess it's effectively region-free. I found it amusing the vendor is based in Australia, so that explains the long delivery time.
I have looked at how MakeMKV deals with region codes, and my understanding is it doesn't care. Which is important, because I want to get the Sharpe sets and the only ones I can find available are region 2.

Top Bottom