• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Frank Herbert's Dune - The Spence Edit

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a little video clip, this is an expanded first dream sequence for Paul that I've put together. it's a combination of the other dreams throughout the series. Gives a bit more context as to why the dreams are important. I also included the departure from Caladan, because I like that part and the music whips. Pretty much a shot for shot reconstruction of the old edit for that portion.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just saw the new one and I can assure you THAT is the one to watch this season! Only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't immediately watch Part Two. Absolutely incredible.
Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

And add a good edit of Lynch's version and make that three!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I'll never touch the Lynch version personally. I don't like it, and Alternative Redux is the best that movie is ever going to get (it's an incredible edit, I just hate the movie in general.)

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New scene! This is a sequence I was really conflicted about cutting the first time around, so I've decided to put it back in this time around. This will happen right after Alia is first introduced.

I'm currently sitting at 3 hours 2 minutes run time, but I'm pretty sure I can knock another 10 out of it. So it'll be slightly longer than the old version but still under 3 hours, and better for it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New scene! This is a sequence I was really conflicted about cutting the first time around, so I've decided to put it back in this time around. This will happen right after Alia is first introduced.

I'm currently sitting at 3 hours 2 minutes run time, but I'm pretty sure I can knock another 10 out of it. So it'll be slightly longer than the old version but still under 3 hours, and better for it.

I wonder if you should experiment with adding a little bit of shaky cam to this sequence? Particularly to when Paul is standing waiting and the worm is approaching?

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder if you should experiment with adding a little bit of shaky cam to this sequence? Particularly to when Paul is standing waiting and the worm is approaching?
I don't have a particular method of doing that in Vegas that I'm comfortable with, but I'm not against it. Any pointers?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hhhmmmmm.... my old Final Cut used have an 'Earthquake" FX that I used a couple of times and made it simple, but being new to Vegas I am not sure if it has an equivalent? I imagine it might be something in Motion Tracking? I will have to do some snooping... lol

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points

This. I have and watched the top Lynch Dune edits recently. The miniseries is on it's way so I can legitimately grab Spence's edit. I started planning how my wife an I can get away to catch two movies in the theater (Dune & NTTD), and saw that it's out on HBOMax now, so we couldn't wait. 2 down, one to go.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This. I have and watched the top Lynch Dune edits recently. The miniseries is on it's way so I can legitimately grab Spence's edit. I started planning how my wife an I can get away to catch two movies in the theater (Dune & NTTD), and saw that it's out on HBOMax now, so we couldn't wait. 2 down, one to go.

Dune will probably be out some time during November, and then Dune Messiah in December, Children of Dune January. That's the loose plan. Might be able to get Messiah and Children both out by Christmas depending on the work needed.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! USPS has my copy right now, claims it will arrive in 2-4 weeks.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a less exciting scene, but I'm really happy with the results. I trimmed this scene a lot more than I did the first time around, changed the music, and added a bleach bypass to make it seem a bit more otherworldly. It also hides the bad effects a bit better. Really happy with it:

Also, a progress update. I'm currently editing the climax of Dune, once that's done I need to do a test watch and go back through to fix any issues I find., then 1-2 test viewings from other editors. I've been pretty meticulous with this one, making sure I'm happy with a scene before moving to the next one. It's a bit easier to do that given I'm working off the blueprint of the first version. So I should be able to go from rough cut to final version a little faster than normal.

Definitely will be out by Thanksgiving at the latest. Then it's time to start Dune Messiah! I'm reading the book again right now to prepare for the edit.

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a less exciting scene, but I'm really happy with the results. I trimmed this scene a lot more than I did the first time around, changed the music, and added a bleach bypass to make it seem a bit more otherworldly. It also hides the bad effects a bit better. Really happy with it:

Also, a progress update. I'm currently editing the climax of Dune, once that's done I need to do a test watch and go back through to fix any issues I find., then 1-2 test viewings from other editors. I've been pretty meticulous with this one, making sure I'm happy with a scene before moving to the next one. It's a bit easier to do that given I'm working off the blueprint of the first version. So I should be able to go from rough cut to final version a little faster than normal.

Definitely will be out by Thanksgiving at the latest. Then it's time to start Dune Messiah! I'm reading the book again right now to prepare for the edit.
Awesome job! One small suggestion: at 00:35 Paul says "Mother? Mother?", the second "Mother?" having a slight reverb effect , which is then followed by a stronger reverb effect that feels like a leftover from something else. I think it would play better if a stronger reverb effect was applied to the second "Mother?" so the subsequent bit feels like it's following from it. Otherwise, perfect!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome job! One small suggestion: at 00:35 Paul says "Mother? Mother?", the second "Mother?" having a slight reverb effect , which is then followed by a stronger reverb effect that feels like a leftover from something else. I think it would play better if a stronger reverb effect was applied to the second "Mother?" so the subsequent bit feels like it's following from it. Otherwise, perfect!
That's actually an original issue lol, I didn't mess with the reverb on that at all. Good suggestion though, I'll play with it.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An update! I've got the edit pretty much where I want it, and it's clocking in at 2 hrs 51 minutes. So there's a roughly 7 minute differential between the old version and the new version. This cannot all be attributed to just additional scenes, as I've reworked a lot of the editing throughout. One scene may got a few seconds longer, one may go a little longer, some are edited and cut all together, and some lose half a scene.

For instance, when Paul meets Irulan at the party, I cut the second half of their conversation, when they're dancing. The scene still serves the same purpose and communicates the same information without the second half. I liked that part, but I needed to get the story moving a bit faster since I added the Yueh scene, so it had to go.

But there are a few things that were completely added, like more Yueh, Paul riding the worm, Paul's visit from the Reverend Mother, expanded dreams, etc.

I honestly would've liked to cut it down to 2hrs 45 min, but I've gone over everything multiple times, and I believe if I cut any more you'd feel it. I don't want this to feel rushed, and as most of you know pacing is very important to me as an editor. I think it's right at the sweet spot now. It's an epic story, so I think the runtime is appropriate. If Avengers movies can be about 3 hours, then Dune can too.

I'm rendering out a preview version that I'm going to let a few people watch, and after any appropriate adjustments are made, I'll get this thing out. I'm sure there's some problems I missed as the timeline for this thing has become acomplete monstrosity.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@spence I am so excited for this! Over the weekend I thought about throwing on the new Dune on HBO Max, but I keep finding that I'm more interested in your edit. Hopefully your render works out and we can see this soon!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@spence I am so excited for this! Over the weekend I thought about throwing on the new Dune on HBO Max, but I keep finding that I'm more interested in your edit. Hopefully your render works out and we can see this soon!
I would highly recommend you check out Dune on HBO before it leaves, I'm a lifelong fan of the story and I thought it was fantastic. It's very different than the one I'm editing, but the comparisons are quite fun.

Once Dune Part 2 comes out in 2023, I'm certain that these two films will be the definitive adaptation of Dune. I actually can't wait to see if I can edit those into one film as well!

Top Bottom