- Reaction score
- Trophy Points
Original film title: Frank Herbert's Dune
Fanedit film title: Frank Herbert's Dune - The Spence Edit[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]Date Original Film Was Released: 2000
Date Fanedit Was Released: August, 2014
Original Runtime: 265 mins
New Runtime: 163 mins
Time Cut: 102 mins
Intention: To create a feature film version of the Dune Miniseries that runs at under 3 hours.
Every shot has been individually cropped to fit the 2:35:1 aspect ratio. Elements of the score have been changed, many subplots have been cut, many obnoxious colors have been desaturated.
Editing Software: Sony Vegas, Handbrake
There's honestly way too many things to note them all, but here's the big stuff:
- Crop the footage to 2:35:1 and desaturate the over-bright colors to make it more "cinematic". The film was actually originally shot in 2:1 ratio, so the cropping actually works quite well. Still, ever shot had to be hand cropped.
- Brian Tyler's score from Children of Dune has been incorporated and blended in with Graeme Revell's original score. Both composers are credited.
- New opening credits sequence.
- Princess Irulan's subplot with Feyd is removed. It doesn't really add anything to the story, she's just finding out things we already know.
- Paul is less whiny, less childish. Because this footage is so condensed, I needed to make him a little stronger right off the bat, so we can believe he has grown into the leader he becomes.
- The first act of the movie has been chopped up the most, completely reordered with a large amount of scenes removed.
- The majority of the cutting I did was for pacing and truncating the plot. Though it's still a long film, this length to me feels like the perfect amount of time to tell this story without it feeling hacked to bits.