• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Frameserving..?

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What exactly is frameserving? I mean i know it has something to do with providing a lower quality version of the video for your editing program to use somehow. how does it actually work?

i ran into the problem earlier of editing full size files and how taxing that is on my computer, so i came up with a rather easy solution... i rip the video off the dvd twice.... once at a low resolution, and once at a high resolution in another folder. i edit using the low resolution. both sets of files have the same name, and so when i am done editing, i replace the files in the low res folder with the files in the high res folder. i suppose this may sound a little weird, but it seems to work. is that what frameserving does? or does it work differently?

thanks

frameserving means that one program serves frames to another, so the other prgram does the encoding.

Frameserving from ULEAD MEDIA STUIDO PRO for example means, that UMSP connects to avisynth, which serves the frames to CCE for encoding.
This way the Ulead mpeg engine is not used, which is much lower quality.

What you describe, lewis, is just replacing of files with hopefully the exact same frames, but in different qualities. Your method could easily fail, because even a difference of a single frame at a cutting point can be spotted as a flicker. Fact is, you need really good hardware to work with digital video on DVD quality level.

well, i use Sony Vegas... so, would i get avisynth, as the frameserver? and i don't know what CCE is, would i need to get that? or does Vegas have a good enough mpeg engine, in your opinion?

Vegas has a good engine, but it defiently no match to the CINEMA CRAFT ENCODER which is top notch. But even the freeware encoder of tmpeg can produce better quality than vegas can.
I don't know about Vegas, I only know that the debug frameserver works with vegas, so you can export your data to an avs script, which can be read by CCE or tmpg for improved encoding.
The entire encoding thing is VERY hardware hungry, so encoding this will take like forever to be decent quality. While CCE is pretty fast, TMPG is rather slow. A good quality setting of 3 passes will take on 3GHz single core system using CCE about 20h straight and about 40h with TMPG (I migth be wrong here, I am just guessing some numbers).

Ok, I think I have some of this figured out. i used debugmode to serve frames to tmpg for encoding. it encoded ok, but i got quite a few glitches. mainly in places where i edited something. for example i would get glitches in my wipes. i don't know if this is debugmode having problems interacting with Vegas, or tmpg having problems with debugmode..... i would guess the former, since i've never heard anyone else complain about those 2 not playing together well. the glitches added up over the course of the movie and it turned out that by the end, the video was about a whole sentence ahead of the audio.

anyway, anyone else have problems with debugmode not playing well with vegas? any suggestions or solutions?

i downloaded avisynth, but i was absolutely clueless on that one. i couldn't even get the very first thing in the tutorial to work. oh well.

any help would be appreciated. thanks :)

I am using a different frameserver:
link

it is payware, no way to avoid that. So I cannot tell you if it is the debug framserver. But I have no glitches whatsoever.

not that I know.

I thought TMPG was free.... it just told me my MPEG2 trial has expired.... :( did i download the wrong version?

nope.. free tmpeg only come with a trial dvd template

Back
Top Bottom