• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Framerate always off

Declan1974

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First let me say awesome forum. I've been following the HD Vegas edit guides to try and make my own fan edit. My source is from iTunes where I have a 1080p TV Series I have been trying to edit.

I used a program called Noteburner to remove the DRM and got a clean looking MP4 out. I then open the MP4 in VirtualDub to try and export it out as an AVI.

I've tried many ways to export to an AVI but regardless of what settings I use, when pulling the AVI file in Vegas or any program, the playback looks to be off as in missing frames or when I try and tweak with Playback settings, it seems tone too slow.

In taking the original MP4 into a program like MediaInfo, it confirms that the framerate is 23.976. I've spent hours on this and just can't seem to figure it out.

If I use VD to export frames as image sequence and then put those image sequences back together in After Effects, I am able to get correct framerate. I was actually considering doing this as a pre-step but know there must be a better way to get the correct framerate to work.

Here are the details on the original file from MediaInfo:

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 50mn 26s
Bit rate : 5 266 Kbps
Width : 1 410 pixels
Height : 1 076 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.145
Stream size : 1.86 GiB (98%)
Writing library : x264 core 114 r1924 08d04a4
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x3 / me=dia / subme=1 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=0 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.41 / pb_ratio=1.25 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 50mn 26s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 91.4 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 130 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : 83ms
Stream size : 33.0 MiB (2%)

Any suggestions?

I don't know if the problem could be the same I have in premiere Pro, but:

In my premiere Pro Cs3 there is more or less always a framerate problem when I import a 23,976 fps video.
Most of the time I convert 25 fps PAL into 23,976 fps NTSC with virtual dub.
The convertion is fine, the file really is 23,976 fps, but once imported in Premiere Pro it turns the video into 23,98 fps.
The only thing I found is to go into the settings of the video file on Premiere pro, and turn it manualy from 23,98 to 23,976.
Strangely Premiere immediatly turn it back to 23,98... but it works. No more weird kind of interlacing trouble because of the framerate once I do that. everything is perfect.
So, maybe there is a setting option under Vegas that you could try to manualy tell the program that it is really a 23,976 fps file. Just to see what happens.

In Vegas it would be "File" --> "Properties" to make sure the frame rate for the overall project is correct. If it's 29.97 when it should be 23.976 (or vice versa) you can change it. You can right click the individual clips and hit "Properties" but that will just tell you what the frame rate is for that clip, you can't change it.

Neglify said:
In Vegas it would be "File" --> "Properties" to make sure the frame rate for the overall project is correct. If it's 29.97 when it should be 23.976 (or vice versa) you can change it. You can right click the individual clips and hit "Properties" but that will just tell you what the frame rate is for that clip, you can't change it.

I've checked the settings in Vegas multiple times and it is synced up with the clip. It is just so odd and I can't seem to figure out the problem.

i may try a different PC just to rule my PC out.

As you are rendering the AVI out of Vegas, does the playback window say "No recompression required"? That tells you the output settings are the same as the input settings.

I then open the MP4 in VirtualDub to try and export it out as an AVI.

Are you trying to output an avi with mp4 video (avc) inside? AVI does not support b frames very well.

yes, it will be good to know your output settings from virtualdub. Give us all the details of your workflow, and I'm sure we can get to the root of the problem

OK. Finally figured it out. The problem was my computer wasn't fast enough. I was working on an Intel DuoCore 2.4 Ghz laptop from 2009 w/ 8GB RAM.

Now my question is if I want to try and edit in Vegas in HD 1080p, what is the recommended minimum specs?

Declan1974 said:
OK. Finally figured it out. The problem was my computer wasn't fast enough. I was working on an Intel DuoCore 2.4 Ghz laptop from 2009 w/ 8GB RAM.

Now my question is if I want to try and edit in Vegas in HD 1080p, what is the recommended minimum specs?

Hate to break this to you but that is nonsense. Your computer and specs are more than capable of handling your input file as well as whatever you had it set for on output. The time it takes has nothing to do at all with sync. Your issue has to be with something else you overlooked or is set differently on whatever comp you are now working from, because your previous laptop pc specs are just fine

Yeah, 8 GB back in 2009 was pretty impressive. My 2012 laptop has the same!

You really think so? I feel like his setup is a little light for HD editing. Not saying that it's what his problem is, but I would want more than that laptop to edit in HD.

Back
Top Bottom