• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Frame Rate Issue with Vegas Pro 18

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone! I'm having some very frustrating issues with trying to render out an edit in Vegas Pro 18.

I used MakeMKV to put the file on my computer, then I used handbrake to convert it to mp4 (keeping a constant frame rate "same as source). I then proceeded to work on my edit for a couple of months and am ready to render it out. Every render has been choppy. I checked the MKV source which did not have a listing, but I checked the source I used for the edit which came up as 23.976. I've made sure time and time again that the project settings in Vegas is set to 23.976 and that I'm rendering at 23.976. I've triple checked that ALL source files are not choppy and they continually prove to all be in working order.

What am I doing wrong?

frustration-quotes-wrong.jpg

That's weird, but maybe try original untouched m2ts file instead of converted ones?

That's weird, but maybe try original untouched m2ts file instead of converted ones?
Would that work if my source file has been an mp4? I really can't start this thing from scratch.

It should. Just try it and see if that works.
Remove the file you 're using.put in in another folder, and if Vegas inform you the file is missing you should be able to manually choose replacement file (try to choose new one). If that doesnt work you can put the file back to the folder.

If that won't help, you may try to make new file by converting original file in another program, then put it to Vegas as replacement. MultiAVCHD works quite good for re-encoding. I've had similar framerate issue lately with Ghostbusters Blu-ray - it looked fine, it was 23,976, and for some reason Vegas output was choppy every time I've tried to export.

Last edited:
Have you disabled resample? Vegas could be misinterpreting the source framerate and be trying to adjust it on render.

I've run into this same issue. It's extremely frustrating. My first though is ditch handbrake and use avidemux. I'd also not go the m2ts route as I've noticed that I have more crashes when trying to use it and you'll have to create an aac file since the dolby or ac3 5.1 mixes won't work.

Audio may be taken from the current file (export it and then replace file and export video, then mux them), and only replace video track with the new one. As for the crashes - it may happen, but if you only open the project when it's ready and not doing anything with it except exporting, it should work.

My first though is ditch handbrake and use avidemux.

That could work too.

Last edited:
@MusicEd921 did you edit then put stuff at the beginning of the movie? I run into issues sometimes when doing this. It doesn't make sense as the source file has a constant frame rate, but I do see issues at times when I drop title cards into the mix and have it autoripple.

Audio may be taken from the current file (export it and then replace file and export video, then mux them), and only replace video track with the new one. As for the crashes - it may happen, but if you only open the project when it's ready and not doing anything with it except exporting, it should work.
For me, I've found that Vegas has less crashes when using mp4 files that have aac 5.1 audio vs dropping in m2ts video and pcm audio. I've also gone and done some setting changes to make vegas more stable. This might help with crashes

did you edit then put stuff at the beginning of the movie? I run into issues sometimes when doing this. It doesn't make sense as the source file has a constant frame rate, but I do see issues at times when I drop title cards into the mix and have it autoripple.

I did add some FE stuff and my editor's card in the beginning, but to figure out why and to try various settings I kept a 2 minute clip of the opening titles from the movie I've been working on to see if I can find a render or project setting that works. Several attempts later and still no fix.

Also, I downloaded and installed AVIDEMUX. I've tried running the MKV file through it 3 times and all 3 times it freezes at 100% encoding and goes "not responding"

Last edited:
Use the source replacement option with the m2ts file as suggested. Vegas doesn't (or didn't) like mkv containers but is perfectly happy with the exact same video stream in another container like m2ts. Vegas will replicate all edits, FX and whatever in a second. Although if it's a framerate issue, you might then want to manually check every edit to make sure sure they are on the exact same intended frame, not a frame later, or earlier. If the source is identical, this shouldn't happen though.

I never let Handbrake auto detect the frame rate, I set it manually. That may be the problem?

Have you tried dropping the files into the free mediainfo program and seeing exactly what the framerates are?

Back
Top Bottom