• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Frame Rate issue in Sony Vegas

ROSXDO

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey all, I'm editing a video in Vegas Pro 10 and experiencing an issue. My rendered file is slightly jittery or stuttery. It looks like a framerate issue, but my source is 23.976 fps and so is my output. Any suggestions?​

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could you post a screenshot of your project setting window? It looks something like this...

projectproperties.jpg

ROSXDO

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Could you post a screenshot of your project setting window? It looks something like this...

Here you go:

5dtWOFy.jpg

Also, if it helps I've been rendering as Sony AVC with the template Internet 1280x720-25p, but changing the fps in "custom settings".

0LGp5vD.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've no experience with sonyAVC but all your settings look correct to my eye.

Try render off a test 30 seconds in a different format like *.mp4 and see if the jittering is still there?

Are you sure your source file is the correct framerate then? Could you post some media info on that?

ROSXDO

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I've no experience with sonyAVC but all your settings look correct to my eye.

Try render off a test 30 seconds in a different format like *.mp4 and see if the jittering is still there?

Are you sure your source file is the correct framerate then? Could you post some media info on that?

Okay I just tried rendering a bit in *.mp4 and the jittering is still there. Also it came out really pixelated, not sure why.

The source file:

Streams
  Video: 01:13:41.917, 23.976 fps progressive, 1280x720x12, AVC
  Audio: 01:13:41.978, 48,000 Hz, Stereo, AAC

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm outta ideas, it all sounds fine so far. @"ThrowgnCpr" / @"Captain Khajiit" can you suggest anything?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ideally, you should be converting your source files to some form of lossless AVI, rendering in the same format, and then recompressing with x264 (not Sony's built-in encoder).  Where did you get them?  Nonetheless, I don't see anything in what you're doing that would create a frame-rate problem.  Could you export a small section of your timeline as lossless AVI, upload it, and send it to me via PM?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Where did the source come from? and what are the compression settings on those input files? I assume there was an intermediate conversion as it's unlikely you pulled a 720p video directly off of a disc. Give us some more info on your workflow along with mediainfo readouts from each step.  Working with lossy files in your Vegas timeline can sometimes cause issues, and I'm not a fan of Vegas' built-in rendering engine. I typically output to lagarith AVI and convert to the delivery format using MeGUI. That said, Vegas' renderer shouldn't cause the framerate/stuttering problems you described

ROSXDO

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Ideally, you should be converting your source files to some form of lossless AVI, rendering in the same format, and then recompressing with x264 (not Sony's built-in encoder).  Where did you get them?  Nonetheless, I don't see anything in what you're doing that would create a frame-rate problem.  Could you export a small section of your timeline as lossless AVI, upload it, and send it to me via PM?

Sure, I'll do that in a bit. Also I got the video from iTunes, then I converted it with NoteBurner.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you watching on a TV or a monitor. I've read that some TVs c cause this due to a video motion smoothing feature. If you are using a TV you could try turning the motion feature off and it may fix the issue.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ROSXDO said:
I got the video from iTunes

I've no experience of iTunes files or editing with them... but maybe there is some sort of copy-protection at work?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the (good) samples!  Both the AVI and the MP4 have masses of duplicates, which is unusual in 23.967fps video, so the frame-rate issue is not something that's being caused by rendering with Sony AVC.  I doubt that the iTunes original was like this, so I'd guess that this happened when you converted your source files with NoteBurner.  Why did you use this program?  Was it to overcome copy-protection?

Like TM2YC, I've never used an iTunes file.  Then again, I'd always try to use a commercial disc as a source where possible.  If you can send me the original file and it has no copy-protection, I'll try to decode it and see if the duplicates are in the source.

ROSXDO

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Thanks for the (good) samples!  Both the AVI and the MP4 have masses of duplicates, which is unusual in 23.967fps video, so the frame-rate issue is not something that's being caused by rendering with Sony AVC.  I doubt that the iTunes original was like this, so I'd guess that this happened when you converted your source files with NoteBurner.  Why did you use this program?  Was it to overcome copy-protection?

Like TM2YC, I've never used an iTunes file.  Then again, I'd always try to use a commercial disc as a source where possible.  If you can send me the original file and it has no copy-protection, I'll try to decode it and see if the duplicates are in the source.

Yes, I did it to get rid of the DRM protection! Otherwise Vegas wouldn't let me import it. @"thecuddlyninja" recommended I use NoteBurner. I'm editing a TV show that's not on DVD yet, so iTunes was my only option. The thing is, the video looks fine after going through NoteBurner. It's only after being rendered in Vegas that the problem appears.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm editing a TV show that's not on DVD yet, so iTunes was my only option.

I understand.  In that case, I'll have to look at the file that exits NoteBurner.

EDIT: The good news is that the file that exits NoteBurner does not have the frame-rate problem.  I won't have time today, but over the weekend, I'll work out the best way of decoding the file so you can convert it to an intermediary format for editing in Vegas.

EDIT (AGAIN):

Here goes.  Before you start, you need to learn how to make a basic AviSynth script.  Install the latest non-MT, 32-bit version of AviSynth.  Open Notepad. File→Save As... MyScript.avs – do not forget to add .avs to the end.  

Download the latest version of FFMS2.  Inside the folder, you find will find ffms2.dll and FFMS2.avsi. Copy both to your AviSynth plugins directory. Write an AviSynth script, adjusting the first line to fit your directory structure.

Code:
FFmpegSource2(“wherever\whatever.mp4”)
AssumeFPS(24000,1001)# assumes a 23.976fps source
ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709")

The last line expands the luma range i.e. converts to what Sony calls computer RGB.

Open the script in VirtualDub.

File→Open video file...
Video→Compression→Lagarith (or whatever)
Video→Fast Recompress
File→Save as AVI

Open the AVI in Vegas.  I used the Match media settings option when opening the clip.

5y7m9f.png

Edit.  Render a lossless AVI from Vegas.

v8q8vn.png

Make sure Lagarith (or whatever lossless codec) is set to RGB(A).

Write another AviSynth script to feed the video to x264.

Code:
AviSource("wherever/whatever.avi")
ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709")#compresses the luma range

The resulting video should have neither the frame-rate nor the levels problems that your AVI did.

Top Bottom