• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Frame Issues (Skipping Frames, Wrong Frames, etc.)

DrFontane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm re-cutting The Hobbit into two films and while I'm editing and exporting the first part, I'm experiencing the most bizarre problem. The source file, sequence clip (and export) are all 23,96fps mp4 and I'm editing with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Ambivalent frames: Sometimes Premiere seems unsure which frame is supposed to be at a particular spot. I'll place myself on a particular frame (like the end of a shot) and it'll first show the next frame but then switch to showing the previous one (or perhaps it's the other way around). If I export it, sometimes it adds one frame of the wrong shot, sometimes it doesn't. Should I always cut an extra frame to be safe?

Jittery motion: Sometimes, usually when the shot is short or reversed (same speed), it'll jitter (like it skips ahead and then moves back to the previous frame, skipping ahead and so on). When I'm in my timeline, it's usually in the same spots, but it depends on how far back I start to watch the video. However, in the export, the same problem can creep in.

Is there anyone who can help me with this? That would be ever so kind.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've moved the thread to a more appropriate location, and also made your title more relevant to the issue at hand.

I use Vegas, not Premiere, but I can tell you that I always cut an extra frame on either side when at the end of a shot/start of a new shot. If I don't do that, I get flash frames (a single stray frame from the shot I tried to cut out). It's annoying but cutting the extra frame seems to always work. That may fix your first problem. Not sure what is causing the second.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you converting your sources to an intermediary codec (such as Lagarith) for editing?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I always cut an extra frame on either side when at the end of a shot/start of a new shot. If I don't do that, I get flash frames

I used to do this when working with DVD material but I've never done it with 23.976023 BR stuff. I'm always 100% confident there'll be no flash frames. So not sure why DrFontane is getting this issue.

DrFontane, could you post a screen capture of your project-settings, or whatever it's called in Premiere.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I used to do this when working with DVD material but I've never done it with 23.976023 BR stuff. I'm always 100% confident there'll be no flash frames. So not sure why DrFontane is getting this issue.

Where did he say he's working with HD?

DrFontane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

DrFontane, could you post a screen capture of your project-settings, or whatever it's called in Premiere.

sequence_settings.jpg

Captain Khajiit: For previews, yes. If that's not what you mean, i don't know what you mean with intermediate codec.

@TV Frink: I am editing in HD.

DrFontane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

sequence_settings.jpg

Though I've since changed 24fps Timecode to "Frames", not sure if that does anything to my exports though.
[MENTION=8139]Captain Khajiit[/MENTION]: For previews, yes. If that's not what you mean, i don't know what you mean with intermediate codec.

@TV Frink: I am editing in HD.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DrFontane said:
If that's not what you mean, i don't know what you mean with intermediate codec.

Editing video in the highly compressed form in which it is found on disc is rarely a good idea, so people usually convert it to something else (an intermediary). Please outline your current workflow.

On another note, check the frame-rate of your video. While it is possible for BDs to be true 24fps, they are more commonly 23.976fps; there should be an option for this in Premiere.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Where did he say he's working with HD?

From the 23.97 framerate I just assumed that. Not always the case you are right.

TM2YC said:

Please?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
From the 23.97 framerate I just assumed that. Not always the case you are right.

Lucky guess. :p

DrFontane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My source-material has been compressed, though i'm not sure by which codec as I didn't do that part myself.

I did post my project settings, here they are again. Is this not what you meant?

sequence_settings.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DrFontane said:
i'm not sure by which codec as I didn't do that part myself.

Who did then?

...and the image-link you've been posting is broken/invisible.

DrFontane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sorry for the late reply. Here are the sequence settings again:
KnM6sma.png

or:
The intermediary codec is x264 L4.0

I've been able to track down the flash-frames to remove them, but the image is still jittery in certain places.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With my old premiere Pro CS3 I often had problems of frame rate when importing some videos. Most of the time with codecs other than lossless.
Let's say you project is 23,976 fps and the video your are importing is also 23,976 fps: sometimes (I don't know why) Premiere Pro imported it as 23,98 fps. If it's the case, then go in the properties of the video and change the frame rate to 23,976 and press enter (and even if the number visualy switch back to 23,98 it should be okay...)

Top Bottom