• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Frame by frame image editing using Womble and GIMP/photoshop ect.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is how i use womble to put together a sequence of video frames i have edited using GIMP. Its probably not perfect, but its served me well so far.

I would use womble to grab the clip that i need to do the frame by frame stuff, copy just that and start a new project in womble, pasting the clip i just copied on the timeline.
example1.jpg

I will start up womble again, so that I have two wombles open on my computer and past that clip i copied on its timeline, i will need this same clip later.
Back in the first womble i was working with, i will right click on wombles output video preview (the preview on the right) and click "save image as" and save every single frame of the clip I copied this way (starting from the frame furthest left and working my way to the right until fnished). I will save them all numerically, example: Thismovieisshite o1.bmp, Thismovieisshite o2.bmp, Thismovieisshite o3.bmp ect. until i have every frame saved this way, it is easier to keep track of all the frames like this. I will then use GIMP to perform whatever changes to those frames i need, when done performing the changes for each frame, i will then save that as something like this Thismovieisshite fixed o1.bmp, I will do this with ALL the frames and import these new frames into womble, then replace the original frames with the new ones:
example2m.jpg

Now i need to get these frames ready to comply to the correct aspect ratio the dvd has, because womble thinks these frames are not a video it will automatically want to distort them (no, i don't know why it does this). I will Hold down the Ctrl button and highlight each frame by clicking on it (Click on each one starting from the left, working your way to the right). Once all the frames are highlighted, right click on one of them and click "Stretch", this just gets the frames ready to be the correct aspect ratio, in order for the images to be in dvd quality i need one frame from the original video clip AT THE END, next to the frames i made. Be sure to keep these frames highlighted, don't click on anything else on the timeline or the frames will become un-highlighted. Right click on the first frame from the left and click "copy"
Next i Go to the other womble, the one i pasted that clip earlier and add one frame to the right, then delete everything else:
example4.jpg

Now i will paste those frames i copied onto wombles timeline so that they fit in place of the part of the video i deleted.
example5.jpg

By having the frames "in between" that one video frame they will not distort, and because i right click -> stretched them earlier they will conform to the aspect ratio of the original video.

Next i will need to save this project and frameserve it to HCenc using this guide

I always encode these little clips with a high bitrate using HCenc's mpg standard matrix.

Thats basically how ive always done it. Its a little complicated but it always works great for me. Doing it with AVIsynth sounds way easier however.

It should be known that i always do this with 23.976fps ntsc footage. If you do this with 29.97 ntsc your going to have a real pain trying to get everything done.

If anyone has any suggestion for making this guide more easily comprehendable, feel free to speak up :)

Very nice guide Rogue! I don't know if I will ever need to use this in the future but I did get one valuable thing out of this guide:

Rogue-theX said:
I will start up womble again, so that I have two wombles open on my computer

You're allowed to do that?! :p

Lol, yes you can do that. Its handy now and then for copying stuff, instead of going back and forth between projects.

Rogue-theX said:
Lol, yes you can do that. Its handy now and then for copying stuff, instead of going back and forth between projects.

Damnit! I've been hitting my head against a wall. Just a weeks ago i had to go back and forth and it was a royal pain in the ass.

Lol, well now you wont have to worry about it as much ;)

So just out of curiousity, what do you use this method/technique for? Is this sort of a low-tech/free way to do After-Effects stuff, like removing objects in the image or adding things to the image?

Is this sort of a low-tech/free way to do After-Effects stuff, like removing objects in the image or adding things to the image?

Thats what i use it for yes.

Rogue-theX said:
Thats what i use it for yes.

That's gotta be super time consuming I assume.

Depends on what your doing, what quality you need, how much detail you need and all that. Sometimes its taken me more than 12 hours to get a couple seconds, other times it takes just an hour or two. all depends.

Rogue-theX said:
I will start up womble again, so that I have two wombles open on my computer

Womble does have some of the fancier editors beat on that count. I am often annoyed that I can't be editing two projects simultaneously and dragging data between the two.

Back
Top Bottom