• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

FPS changing between Handbrake and Vegas

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I have a primary source, which is in 23.976fps (an 1920x800x32 AVC .mp4), which Vegas is correctly reading in 23.976fps.

My project and render settings are the same, and when I open this source in Vegas my frames are perfectly on the 23.976 beat.

I have a secondary source to splice in, which is also in 23.976fps (1920x800, but an .mkv), which Vegas won't read.

So, I convert it in Handbrake. Settings are .mp4, 1920x800, H.264 (x264), 23.976fps.

This produces a .mp4 secondary source, whose metadata clearly shows as 23.976fps, 1920x800.

But this secondary source, when I open it in Vegas, shows the media's metadata as 25fps. And the frames are offset from the 23.976 beat, which introduces blurry frames.

What am I missing?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think you can fix a "broken/invalid" file by converting it. I think you'll need to source a working file to start from.

I also don't recommend using Handbrake to create a file for editing, that more useful to encode a compressed delivery format for clips or your finished edit. Compression and editing don't mix nicely.

Where are your files coming from? That will determine the best way to prepare then for editing.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a trick you can do.
Click properties on the video file, then set the undersample rate to 0.8
That should set the fps to 23.976 fps

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, DigMod, that's done the trick, thank you again!

Addiesin, thanks for the info. I'm steering well clear of Handbrake for producing collateral - generally I'm creating smaller projects and using those to create clips. But I had a couple of files in the wrong format, so I've been grabbing short clips (a few seconds) using that, with it set at its placebo settings. Those have seemed to turn out identical to the originals thus far.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The clips might look identical to the originals, but addiesin is right that you should convert your source files to an intermediary codec for editing.  Editing a delivery format is generally inadvisable.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Appreciate that. So what formats are typically considered intermediary/lossless?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lagarith is commonly used here, especially by Vegas users.  Some people use ProRes (near lossless).  The codec that I use depends on what I am doing.  There's a fair amount of research/learning involved in editing properly.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A detail in Handbrake that's easy to overlook: the default setting creates a variable frame rate (yep, besides a variable BIT rate, Handbrake also wants to give you a variable FRAME rate). Select Constant frame rate instead.

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Khajit: "There's a fair amount of research/learning involved in editing properly."

That's helpful, thanks. It'd be great to be directed to the best learning resources.

And thanks, Lapis, that's useful too.

Top Bottom