• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Forbidden Planet Spellbound

ScottCrane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

TRAILER

INTENTION

To make the movie more accessible I added traditional orchestral music (from the soundtrack of 'Spellbound' by Miklós Rózsa), and removed most of the 'electronic tonalities'.

BACKGROUND

I admire the studio's bravery by going for 'electronic tonalities' instead of traditional orchestral music in what was the first science-fiction movie with a budget (and in color) - but for me, it doesn't work. Worse, those strange sounds distract me. Only every now and then they work as sound effects in my opinion. So I got the idea that I might like this movie better with orchestral music. Cue fan-edit!

But which music? Owning a soundtrack collection of over 600 soundtracks doesn't make the choice easy. To keep the music score from becoming a chaotic bunch of too many different styles and themes I wanted to use only one soundtrack. It also had to be roughly of the same timeframe as 'Forbidden Planet' (which came out in 1956), otherwise it wouldn't really gel in my opinion. So that narrowed the choices down. There are a lot of soundtracks from that era that feature adventure, suspense and romance, but far less that add terror and a bit of comedy.

Jerry Goldsmith's 'Spiral Road' (1962) came to mind, but it features too many 'jungle-atmospheres' which might clash with a science-fiction movie. Then I thought of 'Spellbound' (1945) by Miklós Rózsa. It has all the ingredients I need, and it features the theremin to underscore scenes dealing with the subconscious. This, and the fact that the theremin became almost synonymous with sci-fi in the fifties, made 'Spellbound' the perfect match. The love-theme became linked with Altaira, and the theremin-motif with Morbius' subconscious. To me, Miklós Rózsa's music suits this movie to such a degree that I had to remind myself several times during the creation of this fan-edit that the music was not actually written for 'Forbidden Planet'!

CHANGE LIST
  • Removed all 'electronic tonalities' (except were stated)
  • Added music cues from the soundtrack of 'Spellbound' (1945) by Miklós Rózsa, performed by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Alan Wilson (an Intrada release from 2007). For details, see music cue list below.
  • The love theme became associated with Altaira, but doesn't come to full bloom until she kisses captain Adams.
  • The theremin-theme became the leitmotiv for Morbius' subconscious, growing in intensity as the story unfolds.
  • Replaced sound effects were necessary.
  • During main titles replaced 'electronic tonalities by Louis and Bebe Barron' with 'music by Miklós Rózsa, music supervision and editing by Scott Crane'.
  • During the 'Star Trek' scene (drop from light speed) aboard the spaceship I kept the original sound in (at a lower volume)*
  • During the first images of Planet Altair I kept the original sound in (at a lower volume)*
  • Added sound-effect of animal breathing during the two scenes when the 'monster' breaks into the spaceship. After all, one of the guards remarks that he hears some kind of breathing, which isn't audible in the original version of the movie (see the second fragment in the clips-video below).
  • When Morbius shows Adams and the doctor the Krell machines, I kept the 'electronic tonalities' in (at a lower volume).*
  • When the 'monster' finally appears, I kept the original sound in (at a lower volume)*
  • Added sound effects of screaming when Morbius goes to his final confrontation with the 'monster' (did anyone say Wilhelm?)
* The 'electronic tonalities' work fine here as sound effects.

MUSIC CUE LIST
It would be undoable to indicate every start and end time code of each fragment, so all titles listed below refer to (multiple) excerpts. So the same title doesn't necessarily mean the same excerpt(s).
The tracks 'The Awaking' and 'Honeymoon at Brulov's' are respectively 16 and 10 minutes long (and actually consist of more titles), that's why they appear so often here (but each track offers widely varied material).
  • 00:00:08: Main Title, Gambling Dream, Main Title -00:02:37
  • 00:02:54: Train to Gabriel Valley -00:03:56
  • 00:04:26: Honeymoon at Brulov's, Contance's Discovery -00:06:09
  • 00:06:13: Gambling Dream -00:06:50
  • 00:10:03: The Penn Station -00:11:21
  • 00:12:06: Honeymoon at Brulov's, The Awakening, Honeymoon at Brulov's -00:16:13
  • 00:20:31: The Awakening, Defeat -00:21:30
  • 00:21:49: The Awakening, The Picnic, The Awakening -00:26:06
  • 00:26:10: Honeymoon at Brulov's, The Empire Hotel, Green Manors, Main Title -00:27:26
  • 00:28:54: Defeat, The Awakening -00:30:16
  • 00:33:03: First Meeting, Main Title, Green Manors -00:35:24
  • 00:35:48: Constance and Brulov, The Awakening -00:38:00
  • 00:39:07: The Awakening -00:41:05
  • 00:42:11: Main Title -00:42:27
  • 00:42:44: First Meeting -00:43:29
  • 00:44:02: The Awakening, Honeymoon at Brulov's, First Meeting, The Letter -00:48:21
  • 00:48:48: Train to Gabriel Valley, Honeymoon at Brulov's, Train to Gabriel Valley -00:49:29
  • 00:49:57: Dream Interpretation -00:51:33
  • 00:52:46: Honeymoon at Brulov's, Dream Interpretation -00:56:26
  • 00:59:23: Honeymoon at Brulov's, Defeat, The Burned Hand -01:02:25
  • 01:04:44: Ski Run, First Meeting -01:05:41
  • 01:05:44: Honeymoon at Brulov's, The Penn Station -01:07:07
  • 01:08:12: Defeat, The Awakening, First Meeting -01:10:14
  • 01:11:00: Constance and Brulov -01:11:33
  • 01:12:36: First Meeting -01:12:51
  • 01:12:55: Ski Run -01:13:07
  • 01:15:26: Honeymoon at Brulov's, Ski Run -01:18:24
  • 01:20:49: Honeymoon at Brulov's -01:21:55
  • 00:59:47: Honeymoon at Brulov's, Defeat, The Burned Hand -01:02:26
  • 01:04:44: First Meeting, Honeymoon at Brulov's, The Penn Station -01:07:07
  • 01:08:12: Defeat, The Awakening, First Meeting -01:10:14
  • 01:11:00: Constance and Brulov -01:11:33
  • 01:12:36: First Meeting 01:12:51
  • 01:12:55: Ski Run -01:13:07
  • 01:15:26: Honeymoon at Brulov's, Ski Run -01:18:24
  • 01:20:16: Honeymoon at Brulov's -01:21:54
  • 01:23:01: Constance and Brulov, Honeymoon at Brulov's -01:24:15
  • 01:27:32: First Meeting -01:27:48
  • 01:28:49: Ski Run, Railway Carriage, Honeymoon at Brulov's, Railway Carriage, Ski Run -01:30:58
  • 01:31:38: The Revolver, Honeymoon at Brulov's, Ski Run -01:35:36
  • 01:35:55: The Revolver -01:36:13
  • 01:36:25: Defeat, Dream Interpretation, Defeat, End title, Main Title, End Title - Short -01:38:26

CLIP (3 fragments)

Last edited:
Have you tried any of the AI software people have been exploring in this thread?

It should make music removal much easier in the tricky parts where original music is left over.

Have you tried any of the AI software people have been exploring in this thread?

It should make music removal much easier in the tricky parts where original music is left over.
I will look into it and give it a try. Thanks for the link!

I admit that I like the original score just fine. But with that said, this looks like an interesting alternative. I'm curious to see how this edit turns out.

It's on my list to do an edit of this some time and a rescore was something that I was going to consider. I can't view your clips where I am atm, but Spellbound is an interesting choice and I look forward to seeing/hearing the results :)

Make sure to go to the end of the thread, the technology is new and the thread is old.
@addiesin I can’t thank you enough for your link. That software is breathing totally new life into this project. Without it, it would probably have shipwrecked. You got yourself a big thankyou credit on the forthcoming IFDB page!

I still have a lot of work to do, also with replacing sound effects, but I’m extremely happy with the wonders that software is doing.

The updated version (with almost all 'electronic tonalities' removed) is finished.

I updated the change list at the top of this thread, redid the trailer, and replaced the clips-video with a video featuring 3 new fragments, that provide a better kind of preview.

Now I've only got to change one of the main title cards, and then it's time to check the final render.

I hope it's not too off topic to post this here, but it felt like too much of a coincidence to see this on my feed directly after watching your edit :ROFLMAO: It's very apparent that it's pulling from Forbidden Planet

Back
Top Bottom